Any experience with getting laundry to use cold water wash?

deserttraveler

There is a small spot on the order form for special instructions.

I think pretty much everyone is leery of their ability to react to the instructions for a single set of clothing. I doubt they run the items through in individual stateroom orders.

We've never had any issues with the laundry even on sensitive items. But I have read of a few isolated instances on these boards where someone did.

Unless there is a clear and definitive issue with ones laundry, how can you tell for certain if they followed the instructions or not?

Last time I sent my slacks to the ship's laundry they were shrunk. I had noted in very large print on the laundry form to wash in cold water and dry on low. I went to guest services and complained. They were very polite. They asked me the value of these slacks and proceeded to refund that amount to our account. BUT on another note; while standing and discussing this issue with the person at guest services, another (male) passenger made a rude remark to me that "perhaps the pants didn't shrink, but I had gained weight" and he was totally serious. I replied to him " I may have gained weight, but I certainly did not grow two inches". LOL It takes all kinds, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, if it is a piece of clothing that you are fond of, I suggest not having it washed in the ship's laundry.

Karon

If you watch any of the shows on the TV for the Epic or some of the others, you will get your answer. They do at least 100 sheets in one load. So for lundry of your stuff it will be mixed in with 100 staterooms. I think if they get enough then yes they will do a cold water wash but then they put it in commerial washer too and I gty that thir low is about your medium to high on a normal machine. So to answer your question only put in what does not matter. They have a lundry special for sock and underwear one day towards end of cruise which is great for that stuff.

I sent a cotton white t to be laundered. Asked for "NOT hot water" and it came back fine. No shrinkage. However, I wouldn't send anything I would worry too much about. I pack two pairs of white capris...rather than have one pair come back tighter than the over eating would cause. :D I'd rather hand wash something and then have them just press it rather than risk a nice blouse or whatever.

I guess I'll hand wash a few times. I've worked hard to put together a very lightweight wardrobe so I can do pre- and post-cruise land travel with a 22" suitcase, so I guess the downside is the handwashing.

I think you've made a wise decision. We also came to the same conclusion. Have a great cruise.

I wear one pair of slip-on sandals to travel (with socks if it's cooler), one pair of dressy (flat) shoes, metallic, in the carry-on for all dinners including formal, one sneakers and one walking sandals (in the suitcase). This wouldn't do for some people, but I am of an age where no one notices what I wear as long as it is not seriously inappropriate to the occasion.

Archived