transfer v. cab

We are flying to San Juan to sail on the Empress of the Sea. We booked our airfare with the cruise which included transfer to the ship. I have seen a lot of people post that it is better to take a cab and not arrive with a large group or have to wait for the shuttle to fill up at the airport. Do I need to notify the cruiseline we won't be taking the transfer? We live in Florida, so we always drive to the port so this is a new experience for me.

You don't say when you are sailing so I don't know if you have made final payment yet. If not, have your travel agent remove the transfers from the package. If you have made final payment see if your travel agent can get you a credit. A taxi is always faster and more efficient.

My wife and I went on AOS in 03 from San Juan. We had made all of our arrangements with RCCL. When we arrived in San Juan, getting to the ship was a disaster and not much better getting back to the airport. So on our last cruise on JOS from Ft. Lauderdale, we decided to do our own transfers. This was just as bad. It was difficult for us to find a cab that would hold all four of us and the luggage. After the cruise is where it turned real ugly. You have to rember that there are nearly 3,000 people wanting to get to the airport and half of them need a cab. I nearly got into a fight. I thought to myself that it was a lot eaisier just to wait for a bus and then wait while on the bus. As a matter of fact we saw people that got off the ship when we did that got on a bus ahead of us in line at the airport.

We are doing the 4/29/05 sailing of teh Empress of Sea which leaves from San Juan, but we end our cruise in Ft. Lauderdale so we will have a car there. The cruise has already been paid for and don't mind being out the money if the cab would get us there without all of the hassles. There are only two of us, so we should have no problem fitting into a cab with our luggage. (well, as long as I can keep from packing too many shoes!)

Much easier and faster to take the taxi. If you get a porter to help you with your bags, he/she will whiz you through customs & get you a taxi before you know it. Absolutely worth a few bucks for the porter.

We do this all the time & have done it several times in SJ.

Have a great time.

Norma

Archived