Ile de Orleans

will be staying in Quebec City for 4 days and want to go to the island. is there a bus to take there or is it better to rent a car? if we rent a car do we need to get an international driver license here in the USA? thanks for any info

CA licence is all you need. The rental cos are the same ones you are used to. Your credit card should cover the add on insurance costs. It's not far and the tour would be easier. you have the time to drive up to Baie St. Paul and Murray bay as well- 2 delightful towns on the shore of the river.

I went on this board to check something else and happened to see your post. We did a car tour of Quebec City and Montreal for a week last summer (we live on Long Island). I LOVED Ile d'Orleans. We stayed at the most wonderful B & B there, we are not usually B & B people but I convinced DH and we had a blast. The nicest people. I brought a folding cooler with me and one of those icepacks that you twist to activate and we wandered the island picking up all sorts of fresh goods--bread, chocolate, cheese, smoked fish, apple cider, jam and of course wine! B & B we stayed at had a back yard with a picnic table overlooking the rSt. Laurence and we ate there with all our goodies. Name of the B & B is Auberge l'Ile Flottante if you are interested... http://www.ileflottante.com if you are interested. Montmorency Falls right over the bridge on the mainland from there was great also. I'm off on a cruise tomorrow....so good luck!

We rented a car and did a tour of the island ourselves. Very pretty.

Once you enter the Isle there is a visitor information center where you can buy an audio tour of the Isle. It was interesting and showed different places to stop, including, churches, maple shack, wineries, etc.

Plan to spend a few hours with the stops. I hope this helps.

I would recommend that you do what we did during a nice vacation in Quebec during late September...........stay in one or more of the many, many B&Bs and inns on the island, and drive to the old city for day visits. The nightly rate will probably be cheaper, and you will get a wonderful experience by visiting with the people of the area. It will take a full day just to tour the island. And, then there are the falls (just off of the island bridge), etc.

http://www.tourismeiledorleans.com/introang.html

There are many more than the above website lists, probably about 100 small establishments on the island. When we were there about five years ago we found an information office just as we entered the island from the bridge, which was very helpful. They helped find a place for the first night, which we extended a couple of more nights. After touring further north for a few days we returned to the information office, which located another B&B for a night.

Archived