Why are some cruises "Grand Voyages"?

blue whale

Dorothy,

Your scaring me. My plan for luggage right now is to use FF miles to get to Rotterdam and back. We'll fly over coach and return first class. We can do three bags a piece free in first class. Two extra bags should hold all my purchases, and I'll be able to buy suitcases in India, Philippines or Indonesia. I am also going to explore the possibility and price of FedEx or UPS shipping from Rotterdam, because we are going to stay a few extra days in Rotterdam after the cruise. I'll do this when I get back to Texas and can go in a FedEx and UPS location. For some reason, I couldn't get prices on their websites. Paul123 may have info on shipping from the UK to the US. I am going to make this work somehow.

Leslie

The last few posts about luggage jogged my memory (not easy at this age) about a port that Captain Albert had on his blog last spring. He had just returned, with the Prinsendam, to Ft Lauderdale after completing a Grand Voyage to Europe. He specifically wrote about the tremendous amount of luggage that is taken on Grand Voyages and how it takes so darn long to get it all off-loaded at the end of the Voyage. I think he said it averaged something like 3 pieces per person!

Hank

I think 3 pieces on a Grand Voyage is modest. I think the least we have shipped for a world cruise is 12 pieces, and we know a lot of people who take more. Granted some of them were letter-sized cardboard file boxes (easy for us to lift) and cardboard under bed boxes weighing only about 12 pounds each. Up until the 2011 cruise, when I got a Kindle, I always shipped a box of books to read on the cruise. We take all the cosmetics, sundries, over-the-counter drugs, etc. we might need for 100+ days. I even take a small printer.

The best story was on the 2007 world. Our neighbors down the hall shipped a lazy-boy recliner to the ship. I have pictures of me in their cabin relaxing in the recliner. They were also our tablemates. The Chief Engineer was having dinner with us one evening and I made some crack to them about the Lazy-Boy. The officer raised his eyebrows and said "Oh, so you are the ones that had the recliner". The next year Holland put a disclaimer on the unlimited luggage amenity. It said they had the right to restrict certain items. I'm sure recliners were on the list of restrictions.

Leslie

I think 3 pieces on a Grand Voyage is modest. I think the least we have shipped for a world cruise is 12 pieces, and we know a lot of people who take more. Granted some of them were letter-sized cardboard file boxes (easy for us to lift) and cardboard under bed boxes weighing only about 12 pounds each. Up until the 2011 cruise, when I got a Kindle, I always shipped a box of books to read on the cruise. We take all the cosmetics, sundries, over-the-counter drugs, etc. we might need for 100+ days. I even take a small printer.

The best story was on the 2007 world. Our neighbors down the hall shipped a lazy-boy recliner to the ship. I have pictures of me in their cabin relaxing in the recliner. They were also our tablemates. The Chief Engineer was having dinner with us one evening and I made some crack to them about the Lazy-Boy. The officer raised his eyebrows and said "Oh, so you are the ones that had the recliner". The next year Holland put a disclaimer on the unlimited luggage amenity. It said they had the right to restrict certain items. I'm sure recliners were on the list of restrictions.

Leslie

Now that is funny. DW made me throw out my Lazy Boy because she thought the thing was sooooo tacky. Even Goodwill refused to take the Lazy Boy! But we recently saw a TV show that mentioned folks that would actually rent a 2nd cabin on long cruises to simply store all their clothes (this was a few years ago). Personally, we always envy those who can go away on a long trip with only a carry-on :)

Hank

Archived