Snorkel gear help needed

jrobison

Going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks. From reading on here it sounds like a good idea to get my own equipment. Can anyone suggest a good website and even a particular package to get. I don't want to spend a fortune but don't want crappy stuff either. Thanks!

I bought the US Diver set from COSTCO and have been fine with it. The cost was $38 last year and it came with a carry bag. I did go home right away and do the sink/tub test to make sure the mask fit properly. I plan on using the same set this year on my Caribbean cruise but I have bought a set of short fins.

Enjoy your cruise!

I went to a local dive shop and explained what I wanted. They took the time to make sure that I had a mask that fit and a snorkel that was appropriate for snorkeling. I didn't bother buying fins as they are quite bulky. I generally rent them locally or use the ones provided by the excursion operator.

Don't dismiss buying fins at a dive shop too quickly. Last year, my wife upgraded from normal retail store type fins to good fins bought at the dive shop. She was thrilled the first time in the water with them. Said is was a night and day difference in the amount of effort needed to swim.

Archived