Zuiderdam.. horrific food. March 12, 2005

Pereiras

Dear Linda,

I really enjoyed reading your post. What a nice, level headed, intelligent lady. Now here is a person with some class, who eloquently expressed a lot of good points, and caused pause for thought. Kind of the anti-Dave. You know what, after reading this, I just might consider it down the line. Though I must say, our experience sticks out pretty clearly.

Thank you so much for posting such a terrific note!

Hi everyone,

I just had to put my two cents in again. The percieved quality of anything is so very subjective and personal. I do not think any of us can really understand what makes or breaks an experience for another person. A minor annoyance for one person may be a major trauma for another. I truly believe we are all best served by attempting to try our best to understand each other and accept the feelings expressed by others at face value.

Years ago, I took a call from my answering service. An operator, who could barely contain her distain told me that one of my client's called and requested that she call me immediatly because she was experiencing a major panic attack. The cause of ther major panic attack was that she could not remember her appointment time. The operator went on to tell me how ridiculous this was, and appologize for disturbing me. Well, guess who I really got angry at? I not only read the operator the riot act, but spoke with her supervisor as well. For my client that was a true emergency. she was in a great deal of psychic pain and needed immediate help. As I explained to the people who work for my answering service, we are not here to judge people, only to try to understand them, respond to them and learn from them.

I feel the same way when I read this message board. Yes, when someone sets out to rile us up and get a rise out of people just to get their kicks, I feel as used as everyone else. It is obvious to me that this is not the case in this situation. Pereiras had, what was for him, a "horrific" meal. That was his experience. It was, for an event that seems to have put a damper on his cruise. He does tell us he tried to make the best of it in the only way he could find. He ate dinner in the Pinnacle. He was trying to make the best of what for him, was a "horrific" experience.

He is not telling us to stay away from HAL. He is reporting his experience as he lived it. Let's give him a break and some comfort.

Pereiras, I am so sorry your cruise was not better. Cruises cost a lot of money. We also invest time and have the right to expect that we will have a spectacular experience. That is, afterall what they advertise. Like you, I have been on enough cruises to know what to expect, and I think I have pretty realistic expectations. I would be just beside myself if something were to happen on my cruise that would have made it so miserable for me. I am very greatful that that has never happened to me. I do think that you really tried to make the best of a bad situation. An additional $40 a night for dinner is a very expensive alternative, especially when you are already paying for dinner in the main dining room. I really think you might want to persue this with the people in Seattle to see if they will compensate you in some way. However, in the moment, you did some creative thinking and at least had some food you enjoyed.

As far as you air problems. The policies do seem very unfair. However, HAL can do whatever they want to do provided they have informed you of the conditions in advance. It is really your Travel Agent's responsibility to explain this to you and work it out for you. Personally, I rely on my Travel Agent a great deal. She provides services to me that are just priceless. I am old fashioned that way and stick with my brick and morter gal.

But, getting back to you, Pereiras, I hope your next cruise is better. I do have one suggestion. Don't give up on HAL. Try one of the other ships. The S or R class ships are different than the Vista class ships. They are not only smaller, but the decor is more refined, jewel colors, antiques and dark woods. They are also quieter. The suites are larger. I have not experienced the Vista class ships so I am not able to speak with the authority of experience. However, I know what I like, and I like the smaller HAL ships. Just think about it.

Linda

Thanks for taking the time to post. I gather you haven't read the entire thread. This wasn't one person one meal, It was the food on the cruise. Thanks for letting me again say the surf and turf was horrific. That is the ad line. The detail contains other notes regarding mine and others perspective that the food on the Zuiderdam.. in the main dining.. was horrible. It was. It was tried by us a second time. Tried by others we were with. Commented on by many. You, like Dave, can chose childish insults, but you won't drive those here away. If you will also carefully read the other posts, there was strong issue with HAL's mgmt as well, their take it or leave it attitude, and when we 'left it'.. miraculously, they presented a resolution. Interested in your use of the large words 'volatile diatribe'. Can't disagree more. Calm, colected, honest opinion... oh yes, forgot to add.. mine, not yours. I was on the boat. Were you?

All this over one person's impression of ONE meal ! (So what am I doing here ??). Anyway, as someone suggested, I suspect he is a troll and is enjoying the uproar. If not a troll, then I hope he is not in any position that requires reasoning, judgement, or quick decisions. My problem is not with any honest criticism, but such a vitriolic diatribe based on ONE MEAL. Seems to me that a reasonable person would consider the possibility that this was an abberation and tried at least one more time and with other selections.

Now we are getting somewhere! You raise some very good analytic's.

I will invite the readers here to participate to in the following poll, .. the starting point prepared based entirely on my limited (yes, limited) experience (to include onboard experiences, things I have read, feedback I have from travel agents and friends etc).. er.. let me state again.. entirely on my experiences.. this is my opinion, and mine only. I invite Dave and all the rest to suggest how this chart might be adjusted based on their experiences.

Cruise Line: % of those who thought it was;

Exc VG G Av Bad VeryBad

60 30 5 5 0 0 Princess

40 40 10 10 0 0 Norwegian

5 10 10 25 45 5 Holland

I do agree that 99% in a positive is an excellent score. You will note that I have a full 50% noted as food being 'OK' (ie, av or better) on the Z. For now, I have accepted that I might be the only one with the 'horrific' experience (hence the 5% number in VB) , but from the posts here, and our boat experience, there are a lot of people in the Bad category. I have included the same % in fairness in the Exc category, though I am not sure even Dave believes this... but to be fair.

No axe to grind. Just no way near 99% feeling food was G or VG or better.

Please don't come back with harsh words. It won't bother me anyway. I am open to hearing what others think. Go ahead, adjust the chart. Add others. Perhaps this could be a useful chart for folks on this thread to see what the majority of people think. Yea.. let's put some analytic's to it!

you know, in the customer service industry, if you can muster 99%+ positive comments about anything then you're doing MUCH better than expected! in that regard, if 1 out of every 100 posts regarding a cruise is negative, please keep that perspective - there's just no way in the world you're gonna please all of the people all of the time.

we can debate whether there's some other ax to grind (there may well be) - but this review in no way diminishes my excitement about my upcoming cruise on the zuiderdam. nor am i expecting either "horrific" food or the best food that's ever touched my lips. then again, i likely fall somewhere in that 99 percentile that i mentioned.

jm2c.

Well I'm certainly glad the people who are trashing the OP weren't on my cruise. For the most part they were gracious, polite and enjoyable.

But thanks to HAL I've learned to appreciate cruising but I'm going to book on Radisson this winter, The Navigator looks likes a fine ship and will give me something to compare HAL with.

Thanks to all those who provided honest tips and suggestions, the do's and don'ts, the good and the not-so-good.

To those that just goose march to the HAL music, have a bier.

Well I'm certainly glad the people who are trashing the OP weren't on my cruise. For the most part they were gracious, polite and enjoyable.

But thanks to HAL I've learned to appreciate cruising but I'm going to book on Radisson this winter, The Navigator looks likes a fine ship and will give me something to compare HAL with.

Thanks to all those who provided honest tips and suggestions, the do's and don'ts, the good and the not-so-good.

Goose march?:mad: bier?:mad:

Why don't you say something really special.... pathetic...:rolleyes:

I hope those who have stayed with this to page 6 know, if based on my continued presence here.. despite the heat.. that this was an honest post, based on actual experiences with HAL.

I laughed out loud to your last line! .. and I gathered Dutch spelling of beer.

Thanks for being here..

I hope those who have stayed with this to page 6 know, if based on my continued presence here.. despite the heat.. that this was an honest post, based on actual experiences with HAL.

I laughed out loud to your last line! .. and I gathered Dutch spelling of beer.

Thanks for being here..

You think that was a funny joke?:confused: Wait til you see the inside of the HOL concentration camps:mad: .... pathetic.....

Any more insensitive jokes from you two superstars? Inquiring minds and all....:confused:

jc

This thread is about a vacation. You bring up concentration camps? One other person brought up 9/11? Get a life. Others here have thrown insults long and hard. A small joke (by someone else) your way, and you break out the hanky. Boo hoo. The joke, ...in case you didn't understand it, ...translated exactly to 'supporting HAL unconditionally'.. that's all. No other hidden meaning, at least not taken any other way here... Utter nonsense.

You think that was a funny joke?:confused: Wait til you see the inside of the HOL concentration camps:mad: .... pathetic.....

Any more insensitive jokes from you two superstars? Inquiring minds and all....:confused:

jc

Let's get back to the thread...

Now we are getting somewhere! You raise some very good analytic's.

I will invite the readers here to participate to in the following poll, .. the starting point prepared based entirely on my limited (yes, limited) experience (to include onboard experiences, things I have read, feedback I have from travel agents and friends etc).. er.. let me state again.. entirely on my experiences.. this is my opinion, and mine only. I invite Dave and all the rest to suggest how this chart might be adjusted based on their experiences.

Cruise Line: % of those who thought it was;

Exc VG G Av Bad VeryBad

60 30 5 5 0 0 Princess

40 40 10 10 0 0 Norwegian

5 10 10 25 45 5 Holland

I do agree that 99% in a positive is an excellent score. You will note that I have a full 50% noted as food being 'OK' (ie, av or better) on the Z. For now, I have accepted that I might be the only one with the 'horrific' experience (hence the 5% number in VB) , but from the posts here, and our boat experience, there are a lot of people in the Bad category. I have included the same % in fairness in the Exc category, though I am not sure even Dave believes this... but to be fair.

No axe to grind. Just no way near 99% feeling food was G or VG or better.

Please don't come back with harsh words. It won't bother me anyway. I am open to hearing what others think. Go ahead, adjust the chart. Add others. Perhaps this could be a useful chart for folks on this thread to see what the majority of people think. Yea.. let's put some analytic's to it!

This thread is about a vacation. You bring up concentration camps? One other person brought up 9/11? Get a life. Others here have thrown insults long and hard. A small joke (by someone else) your way, and you break out the hanky. Boo hoo. The joke, ...in case you didn't understand it, ...translated exactly to 'supporting HAL unconditionally'.. that's all. No other hidden meaning, at least not taken any other way here... Utter nonsense.

So your view on everything is the only correct view. Glad we have that on record.... :mad:

When you exagerate it is ok, but when others do it then that would be wrong.... pot, kettle calling....:rolleyes: :p

jc

If you will look back, I have not posted anything nasty here.. despite a few of you chosing to do otherwise (you included).

Regarding my view as being the only correct view... I have said many times, this is my opinion. Didn't recall hearing you were on that boat? I am not expressing my views on your experiences, just mine. Curious as to how you might feel you have the right to discount mine?

I don't care to be drawn off topic by a few of you who follow the HAL banner unconditionally.

And, again, for the record, I have not exagerated.. at all. The meal was horrific the one night. The food the rest of the time Bad. The CS from Holland terrible. Thanks for posting so that I can keep this message current.

So your view on everything is the only correct view. Glad we have that on record.... :mad:

When you exagerate it is ok, but when others do it then that would be wrong.... pot, kettle calling....:rolleyes: :p

jc

:D While I've never been a cheerleader for HAL's food in the Dining Room (love the Lido and the Pinnacle), to state that the food was "absolutely horrific" is just plain silly. Maybe the OP didn't particularly care for it, but "horrific"??? I don't think so.

And one would think that with all the debate, the OP would want to put the terrible experience behind him and move on ... but obviously he/she is having fun.

As so many have said, this was all based on one meal in the dining room. The OP states at one point that the Pinnacle enjoyed their company the rest of the time.

You can only please some of the people some of the time............. but debating with this poster is obviously a waste of everyone's time.

Re: ability to get reservations in the Pinnicle

Thank you for reading my post and responding. I guess in my attempt to be careful how I made my comment, my point was not clear and you took it to support your point.

My intended point, to be more blunt, was that whenever we have cruised on HAL, the Pinnicle (or the Odessy on some ships) has been so popular that they limited how many nights a party could eat there and it was still full every night. Now, considering how few it holds in an evening, the numbers there were a very small percentage of the passengers. It was just very popular and frequently hard to get a one night reservation, let alone five or six. Now, before you think I am again supporting your views (people lining up to eat there), when my friends and I have eaten in the Pinnicle it has NOTHONG to do with the quality of food in the dinning room. Why pay extra then? 1. It is fun to have a change of venue on occassion. (Our cruises have been over 3 weeks at a time) and 2. We like share an occassional dinner with various folks we meet on the ship who are not at our DR table and/or normally eat at a different sitting.

Again, it was horrific that one meal. Plain and simple. Tasted chemicals in the meat. Others did to. Wouldn't you call that horrific? I would. I did.

I do find it interesting that there are some here who just don't want to accept.. or even hear.. for that matter that the food was bad. It was. The issue isn't just this though, it is the CS of HAL too.

I do enjoy a debate, and promised myself on the boat to let others know... and I have.

:D While I've never been a cheerleader for HAL's food in the Dining Room (love the Lido and the Pinnacle), to state that the food was "absolutely horrific" is just plain silly. Maybe the OP didn't particularly care for it, but "horrific"??? I don't think so.

And one would think that with all the debate, the OP would want to put the terrible experience behind him and move on ... but obviously he/she is having fun.

As so many have said, this was all based on one meal in the dining room. The OP states at one point that the Pinnacle enjoyed their company the rest of the time.

You can only please some of the people some of the time............. but debating with this poster is obviously a waste of everyone's time.

We were not limited to # of nights, and never saw it advertised that way. we had some preliminary reservations, and otherwise between the concierge on our floor and Sergio.. we got in for the others.

I do appreciate why you might have eaten there, and it mirrored our reasons for eating at the premium restaurant on our previous cruises.. which we did 1 or 2 times max. I agree with you, if your experience is that the food wasn't any better in the Pinnacle, you wouldn't want to pay extra to eat there. .. , it is probably MOSTLY busy just because it is small, and not enough seats. I would have no proof that it was packed because of the crummy food in the main, except for my experience and discussions with others we met and talked to.. who at least, in some relatively small number, increased the demand there. But.. point well taken!

Whether you support me or not.. it doesn't really matter. This was our experience, and clearly, you have had a good one on HAL.. so what does it matter?

Re: ability to get reservations in the Pinnicle

Thank you for reading my post and responding. I guess in my attempt to be careful how I made my comment, my point was not clear and you took it to support your point.

My intended point, to be more blunt, was that whenever we have cruised on HAL, the Pinnicle (or the Odessy on some ships) has been so popular that they limited how many nights a party could eat there and it was still full every night. Now, considering how few it holds in an evening, the numbers there were a very small percentage of the passengers. It was just very popular and frequently hard to get a one night reservation, let alone five or six. Now, before you think I am again supporting your views (people lining up to eat there), when my friends and I have eaten in the Pinnicle it has NOTHONG to do with the quality of food in the dinning room. Why pay extra then? 1. It is fun to have a change of venue on occassion. (Our cruises have been over 3 weeks at a time) and 2. We like share an occassional dinner with various folks we meet on the ship who are not at our DR table and/or normally eat at a different sitting.

If you read my original post on this thread, you will see that I pretty much confirm your bad experience with air connections provided by HAL. As I mention in my post, my Passenger Confirmation states that "Air may require O/N at pax cost". Am I happy about it? No. But as you found out, the quoted fare may be better than any other deal out there. And because of that, I fully expect that if I do use the air offered by HAL that it will be that typical multiple-connection crap -- and that I may have to pay for a hotel out of my own pocket. I don't travel that much and even I understand that much based on the information HAL has provided.

I will never argue with you about whether or not you received a (an?) "horrific" steak (and your tablemates as well). That can happen. Just as people on the same cruise can say that the food was OK, fair, good or terrific. While you seem to have enjoyed your meals at the Pinnacle (albeit at a premium), you still tell people to stay away or they will be sorry. Sorry about what? One bad meal? How was the staff? How was your suite? How was the itinerary and the ports of call? What was the overall condition of the ship? How did your daughter feel about the activities she was involved in?

Other than a chemical steak, and a brief remark about the food at HAL's island, I see nothing in your comments to be sorry about. If you were to provide the forum with a more complete evaluation of your trip, we could, perhaps, better understand your level of extreme dissatisfaction.

I am not a shill for HAL (we are on HAL because of my FIL's recommendation) and I don't rely on the opinions of this forum alone for my information on HAL and cruising. It is just that, GENERALLY, HAL gets good marks from many sites and cruise periodicals FOR THE LEVEL OF SERVICE IT PROVIDES.

My wife and I sailed the Zui Feb. 2004, and are taking our two teenage boys along on June 18, for their first cruise.

It's too bad about this report. I have never had a bad meal on HAL in three cruises. If I were to receive a piece of meat that tasted like chemicals, I would ask for a different entree and if this didn't remedy the situation, I would ask to speak to the highest manager I could find. Fortunately, this has never happened.

I think that it does have a lot to do with expectations. I have dined with certain people that always find something wrong with their food, and constantly send things back and complain. Is the OP one of these folks? I guess that's as important to decide as the validity of the complaint.

I agree that the OP is having fun with this thread. It is long and drawn out, and the OP has posted enough replies to fill a novel.

Thank you for writing this. It is incredible that someone would want to debate another individual's unique experience(s). I have read negative comments about the food from other people, too. Didn't stop me from booking a cruise and I'm not nervous about our trip. (Of course, I use the word "horrific" all the time and have for many years, so maybe I'm already twisted). I fully expect that we will have a great trip and I'm not worried about food; we'll find something we like.

I wanted to know more about the island food - what exactly did you and your family eat? Is there much variety on the island? In regards to ALL the bad meals - Was it mostly poor quality/ingredients, served the wrong temp, etc., or was it food that was prepared in a way that ruined what might otherwise have been good - or could you tell?

I've read all the msgs, but have now lost track of everything you said. Overall, it was the food and the customer service that were problems, correct? You were pleased with other aspects of the cruise? What was the highlight for you?

Thanks,

Scrumpy

I still want to know what airline you flew on and how you had 2 - 3 connections between Toronto and FLL/Miami. Probably one connection if you flew on a US airline, but if you flew AC that would have been a direct flight or it could have been TO to Mtl. to FLL/Miami. :confused:

This is what they originally brought to us, and told us we had to lump it. Going down, it was United through Chicago day before. Coming back it was American and Northwest.. 3 flights day after. Both left at 6:20 am.. meaning we would have had to be at FT. Lauderdale airport at 4:20 am, and it got us home in Toronto at 9:00 pm. WOW We refused as stated earlier. Only after we cancelled, and I started a dispute with AMEX, did they come back with a flight returning the same day. Both of those flights had 1 stopover, which wasn't a problem. Have I answered your question?

I still want to know what airline you flew on and how you had 2 - 3 connections between Toronto and FLL/Miami. Probably one connection if you flew on a US airline, but if you flew AC that would have been a direct flight or it could have been TO to Mtl. to FLL/Miami. :confused:

Thanks for taking the time to post a good, honest retort. I appreciate it. I guess in our expectations, food is top of the list. Perhaps it isn't with others. It could be the room, the ports of call etc. All of these were good, as I've stated previously. But my God, the food was so crappy in the main, it caused us to have to change what we were doing in order to enjoy the cruise. That should never be. It wasn't our experience with all of the 5 other cruises we have taken to date.

For the record:

destinations: Exc. Really liked Tortola

Kids club = Very good.

Pinnacle = Very good.

Suite = good. (bit worn, ripped cushions with tape on couch..but nothing bad)

Neptune = very good.

Main rest food = Very bad

Island food = bad

Lido food= average

HAL customer service = Very bad

Shows = average to very good (illusionist was very good)

Fair?

If you read my original post on this thread, you will see that I pretty much confirm your bad experience with air connections provided by HAL. As I mention in my post, my Passenger Confirmation states that "Air may require O/N at pax cost". Am I happy about it? No. But as you found out, the quoted fare may be better than any other deal out there. And because of that, I fully expect that if I do use the air offered by HAL that it will be that typical multiple-connection crap -- and that I may have to pay for a hotel out of my own pocket. I don't travel that much and even I understand that much based on the information HAL has provided.

I will never argue with you about whether or not you received a (an?) "horrific" steak (and your tablemates as well). That can happen. Just as people on the same cruise can say that the food was OK, fair, good or terrific. While you seem to have enjoyed your meals at the Pinnacle (albeit at a premium), you still tell people to stay away or they will be sorry. Sorry about what? One bad meal? How was the staff? How was your suite? How was the itinerary and the ports of call? What was the overall condition of the ship? How did your daughter feel about the activities she was involved in?

Other than a chemical steak, and a brief remark about the food at HAL's island, I see nothing in your comments to be sorry about. If you were to provide the forum with a more complete evaluation of your trip, we could, perhaps, better understand your level of extreme dissatisfaction.

I am not a shill for HAL (we are on HAL because of my FIL's recommendation) and I don't rely on the opinions of this forum alone for my information on HAL and cruising. It is just that, GENERALLY, HAL gets good marks from many sites and cruise periodicals FOR THE LEVEL OF SERVICE IT PROVIDES.

Pereiras, how come you haven't yet answered Scrumpy's questions about other aspects of your cruise? As I said before, I'm the first one to criticize HAL or any other line that doesn't meet my expectations based on what I've paid for the experience. In fact my review of our recent cruise was highly critical, but I also took the time to talk about all the good things and I tried very hard to be fair. After my review, not one poster came down on me for it.

The reason people are having difficulty with your review is that it is so one-sided, so terribly negative. They wonder why you had one meal in the dining room and gave up because it didn't measure up. How could you know it wasn't just one bad night or simply not prepared to your liking?

The thing is most of us have been on HAL ships and we find it hard to believe that your cruise could possibly be as bad as you describe. We all consider ourselves discerning passengers so we have to ask ourselves how this is possible.

So it's not because you said you had some problems with your cruise. It's because you say you had nothing but problems. I would love if you could tell us what vacation has been so amazing for you that this one proved so horrible. We've been travelling for a lifetime in many parts of the world and I just can't say that any place we've been has been so fantastic that a HAL cruise would be "horrific" by comparison.

Landlubber, I love your post ... so well said.

Archived