Internet Access

ilycam

Does the Golden have internet access available in the cabins? If so, does anyone know the cost and what type of internet access is available. I have a friend who will be on the Golden, British Isles, in May & her husband will need to access e mail for work and Princess hasn't given them very clear information as to what is available.

Thanks!

Carol

No internet access in the room.

If your friend brings a laptop with a "b compatible wireless card" - he can get wireless access in the atrium for 30 minutes for around $10 (sold in 30 minute blocks).

If he chooses to use the terminals in the computer lab - it is .35/minute.

Unless there is a change in the near future, there will be NO internet access in the cabins. You will have access, for a fee, from the Internet Cafe and, if you have a laptop with a WiFi card, you can get access via a wireless Internet connection from certain public areas around the atrium (also for a fee).

If you are a platinum member, the internet is free in the internet cafe. The wireless has a charge regardless of platinum status (don't ask why....). :confused: The terminals in the internet cafe are as fast (pretty slow) as the wireless hookup. Time of day and proximity to a port make a difference.:rolleyes:

Bob

I was on the Diamond Princess last week going to the Mexican Riveria, and the wireless Internet access wasn't working for the first few days.

After that, it started working although the customer service desk clerk tried to tell me that it still wasn't working when I bought my first prepaid wireless access card. I knew it was working because I could get to the Princess Wireless Internet login screen from my laptop.

I didn't measure it, but my guess was that the connection seemed to be about 28k most of the time. That's about half the speed of standard dial-up service. We had smooth seas, so it may slow down from there if you're rocking and rolling through the ocean.

I only used it for e-mail in Outlook, so that speed was okay.

When I was on the Royal Carribbean's Voyager a few years ago, I bought in-room Internet access for $100 for the 7-day trip. That was a much faster connection. I'd guess it was 200k. You could actually do some web surfing.

Archived