Surprising kids with Alaska

lyttleone1977

We are planning on taking our kids (14 and 11 at cruise) to Alaska in 2012. As of right now they do not know. We have came up with two scenarios o how we are going to tell them.

1) We are driving to Seattle from Michigan, and just surprise them when we get there. I'm not sure if I can pull this one off, especially when we spend 3 days in the car...

2) creating Christmas presents that serve as clues - new luggage, fliers about the ports and seattle, etc.

Looking for more input, really not sure what to do!

Unless you are much better at keeping secrets than me, I wouldn't try and wait until you get to Seattle to tell me. I really like the idea of giving them some presents for Christmas that will go along with the trip. New luggage, binoculars, a light weight waterproof jacket and maybe a book about Alaska. This will also give them time to provide opinions concerning the shore excursions.

I wouldn't surprise them. If you did, they would probably be resentful at being taken away from their friends for two weeks (or however long) without at being able to say goodbye.

Besides, the joy of shared anticipation will be greater than your (solitary) joy of anticipation, mixed with your worry of letting the cat out of the bag prematurely. JMHO.

We always plan ahead and share with our kids. Give them the opportunity to get excited, learn, and also discuss our plans.

Surprises are good for somethigns but big adventures or experience are somtimes better to dive in informed and prepared IMHO.

We are planning on taking our kids (14 and 11 at cruise) to Alaska in 2012. As of right now they do not know. We have came up with two scenarios o how we are going to tell them.

1) We are driving to Seattle from Michigan, and just surprise them when we get there. I'm not sure if I can pull this one off, especially when we spend 3 days in the car...

2) creating Christmas presents that serve as clues - new luggage, fliers about the ports and seattle, etc.

Looking for more input, really not sure what to do!

Archived