All Aboard for CC's 1st Ever "HAL-O-Ween Dam Cruise"

I am in no way criticizing anything. I am sorry if my post sounded like that, as it was not my intention. These prices ARE very competitive of HAL's 2006 rates. I was just "talking" about the price of cruising in general going up for 2006. And, you are correct, this is HAL's standard deposit, and I am sure that is what HAL is asking for otherwise Laura would have been able to get a different deal. I should not have compared...was just talking aloud, and realize now, it may have sounded as it was not intended. You are doing a wonderful job, Heather, beyond the call of duty, imo. Thank you for EVERYTHING.

Marie

I've been lurking, but not posting today. Just wanted to chime in as well that I think the prices are high. Like Rita, we booked an SS cabin for 10/05 on the Oosterdam for $975, which included dinner at the Pinnacle and a bottle of wine every night (cruise cancelled due to the Olivia charter). So, by comparison, these prices seem high.

Heather, I have done NONE of the research you have on 2006 prices. I acknowledge that and I have no doubt that they are high at this point. BUT, in my experience, prices tend to come down over time (or at least there are spurts of reduction--like a week-long sale). We cancelled and re-booked our 10/04 cruise on the Oosterdam 2 times to take advantage of reductions. We saved $500 on our cabin and moved up 2 categories!!!

SO, my question is, what protection is there for us should the price of our chosen cabin category be reduced down the road? Will HAL honor rebookings to take advantage of price reductions? As I am sure is the case with most of the savvy cruisers on this board (and in particular, this thread), we don't want to lock in to a price now that has zero flexibility to reduce the prices later on. Should there be a price reduction, I don't want to have to drop out of the group to take advantage of it. Is that as clear as mud or what? Hopefully Laura is working this point.

BTW, if jobs need to handed out (like Brian taking on seating when I think he already had another job), please ask for help. I am more than happy to take on some responsibility, as long as I get a "title"!! :-) And, for seating, I am all for trying to keep the group together in an area of the dining room. We prefer the late seating--8:00 or 8:30--and LOVE a lively dinner table!

Lisa

BTW, if jobs need to handed out (like Brian taking on seating when I think he already had another job), please ask for help. I am more than happy to take on some responsibility, as long as I get a "title"!! :-)

Lisa

Lisa, if there is something you have in mind speak up girl!, its hard as we do not know most cc'ers traits, Trubey offered website, I offered Cabanas, Brian offered Per-Hotel Party. Otherwise we would be clueless :) Then look out cause we go wild on titles hehehee!

I am very close to gone. When we started this group cruise idea with just a few of us, we opened it up for all to share. I thought it would be fun.

Brian is the Host for the Pre-cruise party and is continuing in that role with the tables. It's all for fun. I'm not going to add any more "committees" right now. We'd be back to the "too many cooks" problem.

And I'm done for now with any further debate about rates and whether they're good or they're bad, high or low. If you go to the area about group cruises, I believe it addresses Lisa's question about what happens when and if HAL lowers their rates. As in booking on your own, from what I read on that forum if prices go down your price goes down. You don't rebook. Our TA handles this issue and adjusts the rate. That is my understanding. After final payment, all bets are off as far as I know.

No words can possibly express how much I regret sharing this preliminary information with all of you. It has ruined my weekend. I have done little else but stare at this screen and answer emails. My husband had to come in tonight and remind me that maybe we should have some dinner.

When I posted this information, I explained it was preliminary. All the questions you are asking should be asked of the TA when we get that information. The TA will have all the answers to your questions just as any TA you speak to on your own would. That is what makes booking a group cruise through CC unique and preferable.

My role here is not as TA. It is as a group leader. It is to bring the group together, plan some fun, try to organize. All the rest of it is between you and the TA. You would all be talking directly with the TA and getting all your answers directly from the source.

I think everyone needs to keep in mind that these prices are for 2006. We are paying much more for our VA's on the Ryndam Holiday 2005 that what is being quoted for an SS on this group cruise - we have cruised many times on HAL and have used the same good TA for years. According to my TA (who has an excellent relationship w/HAL) the discount prices are we see on some 2005 sailings and that abounded in 2003-2004 are a thing of the past.

HAL continues to sell the cabins at almost full fare, most discounts are not over 30% of the published price - so why should they offer such discounted rates for a cruise 18 months away?

For those of you who have purchased some discounted cruises for 2005, please know that they are not the norm - we have been lucky in the past as well, but I honestly think those days are pretty much over.

I also do not think a deposit of $350 is unreasonable at all. We are paying $600 per person for our Holiday sailing on Ryndam.

Just my two cents -

I just got another note from one of the TA's who had contacted me about possible better pricing and she said that now she realizes it's for 2006 she feels these quoted rates are quite good. So ... food for thought for everyone.

You know, Heather ... those single category K's are very reasonably priced when compared to what I am paying for similar cabins this year. Then, when you add in all the "extras," it's a really good deal.

No complaints here.

Hell, you should see what I'm paying for my January cruise ... with a guaranteed share! Even though that one is for 30 days, and this one is for seven, the Westerdam cruise still comes out at a far more attractive per diem ... even with a single occupancy cabin.

Sounds to me, Heather, like you "done good!" :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am very close to gone. When we started this group cruise idea with just a few of us, we opened it up for all to share. I thought it would be fun.

Just take a break from all the crap, Heather. It will get frustrating at times and that's why it's such a thankless job you've basically taken on there.

I sure hope to hell you organizers are gonna get some bennies out of this ... in compensation for all your hard work. Seems to me only fair.

Blue skies ... and thanks, Heather, for all you and those others helping you are doing to give us a memorable group cruise experience.

--rita

Just take a break from all the crap, Heather. It will get frustrating at times and that's why it's such a thankless job you've basically taken on there.

I sure hope to hell you organizers are gonna get some bennies out of this ... in compensation for all your hard work. Seems to me only fair.

Blue skies ... and thanks, Heather, for all you and those others helping you are doing to give us a memorable group cruise experience.

--rita

I agree, Heather. This is a huge "pioneering" undertaking, and you need to spend only the appropriate amount of time on it, or it will take you under.

I have read over the entire thread, and, although you can only please some of the people some of the time, most folks seem overwhelmingly pleased with all of your efforts (and ekerr's!:) ). It is obvious you both take the responsibility of this very seriously and are doing the best job possible.

There will be many "sidebar" conversations along the way, but that doesn't mean they imply any criticism toward you - just discussing, you know. There will be others along the way that choose to "do their own thing," and that is probably for the best - for your group and for those individuals - not everyone's schedules/finances/preferences will dovetail with the group plan.

The people that share your goal of having a fun group cruise are clearly grateful and supportive friends, and seem to be very sincere about wanting to assist, even if there efforts seem premature given the timeframe.

Hang in there!! :o

Hang in there Heather.:D I for one, do not want to lose our fearless leader. People are getting excited about the cruise and sometimes post before they think. I have been guilty of this myself.:eek: I think if we all wait until we can contact the TA ourselves, we will save Heather a really big headache.:)

--rita

Yes Heather, just enjoy your day away from these boards and dont worry about this thread :) You are not going to be able to please everyone all the time, no matter how hard you try! I dont know how many times you can say, :you will need to check with the TA" but to me the first time should be enough! I know everyone is excited but please understand Heather is not our personal Secrectary, she is just the group leader. The TA will be able to answer all your questions before you have to make a deposit, then you can decide, if you go great and if you then choose not to, we will miss you but we understand :) Hang in there with us Heather, its almost over, only 17 months left ! :)

Heather, I know I'm somewhat of a "newbie" around here (I read a lot of the posts but don't post a lot), but I wanted you know how much I appreciate your hard work trying to put this group cruise together. I'm really hoping that it will come together as the group sounds like they are a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to meeting and hopefully make some new friends.

Anyway, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Thanks and take care,

Brenda

Well, we have a great group of folks so far - and I am looking forward to this one!

I think it's important to keep everything in perspective and remember this all about having fun and meeting up with those we gotten to know on these boards!

I was looking over my brochure for the Westerdam trying so hard to make preliminary cabin decisions... talk about difficult! What to do?

What is everyone leaning towards? S, SS, A, B... I am curious - we will not be bringing our kids, so we don't need a huge amount of space but I got spoiled by the S on the Volendam! That's for sure! We were looking at a few of the SS's and they look nice - I've never stayed in one, but have seen one.

I know we don't have the pricing tied down yet, but is anyone else thinking about locations????

Well ... my teeth are clean:D Had a nice day in Boca after the dentist.

Ziggy, it's actually almost 19 months!!!

Evidently, since I was absolutely wrung out last night, I must have come across really obnoxious because practically no one posted all day!!! I want to thank Stormyc for the post, but I can't help wondering where you came from! Ziggy, thanks for your thoughts as well.

The silence is a little unnerving. Hopefully we still have a few people interested in the cruise. I've heard nothing more from Laura today.

If any of you have changed your mind because you're not happy with the rates or you've decided you'd just rather make other plans, I completely understand and there's no hard feelings. But I really would appreciate if if you would either post here or just email me and let me know. Thanks.

P.S. My post overlapped with a couple of others.

Laura--

I'm considering an SS on Navigation Deck. I enjoy the staterooms between the midship and aft stairwells, as there is no noise from the Lido Restaurant above and it gives easy access to both pool areas...

Was trying to get Heather to go into an SS next to mine so we could open our verandahs to one another, but I think she kinda prefers Upper Verandah Deck...

Laura--

I'm considering an SS on Navigation Deck. I enjoy the staterooms between the midship and aft stairwells, as there is no noise from the Lido Restaurant above and it gives easy access to both pool areas...

Was trying to get Heather to go into an SS next to mine so we could open our verandahs to one another, but I think she kinda prefers Upper Verandah Deck...

Brian - That is were we are looking... Navigation Deck. I have a couple of cabins in mind - I like the layout of the SS - looks like there is plenty of room from what we got to see of one of them on the Zuiderdam...

P.S. My post overlapped with a couple of others.

Welcome Back! At least your dentist is in Boca... I can think of worse places to go!... :eek:

Ziggy, it's actually almost 19 months!!!

Evidently, since I was absolutely wrung out last night, I must have come across really obnoxious because practically no one posted all day!!! I want to thank Stormyc for the post, but I can't help wondering where you came from! Ziggy, thanks for your thoughts as well.

I'm new to CC (first a lurker and finally splashing in with a comment now and then), and have just been witnessing your herculian efforts to coordinate everything.

I am not participating in your group cruise as of right now, so it's very much none of my business - just wanted to encourage you. I've been so impressed by how everyone is rallying to participate if they can. I know even those of us not involved are rooting for the success of your group!

You didn't come across as obnoxious at all - just a little tired and discouraged maybe. I imagine this can get pretty overwhelming at times, and it never hurts to be appreciated!

Well, Stormy, it was very nice of you and I appreciate it!:D Again, thanks! Post anytime you like and if you decide to join us the more the merrier!

Brian, no ... I want Navigation Deck. Laura and I were looking at cabins only yesterday and we wondered why you felt there would be noise from above under the pool. It's not an open deck. Comments?

I'm still going! :> At the moment, I'm being optomistic that the wife will be able to go as well, and she wants an S Aft. Who am I to argue with that! :) If she isn't able to go, then I'll be bunking with Brian. Right Brian? *grin*

Archived