Whale Watching in Maui or Kauai?

Kruz Guys

I'm trying to find whale watching excursions either in Maui or Kauai. Any recommendations? We will be there in December 2011.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Kruz Guys

:)

We have done Maui twice and saw many. We took an excurision both times, however, whales could be seen from the POA as we entered and left Maui. Don't remember seeing any around Kauai.

DT

We have done Maui twice and saw many. We took an excurision both times, however, whales could be seen from the POA as we entered and left Maui. Don't remember seeing any around Kauai.

DT

That's encouraging. Do you recall by change the name(s) of the tour company you used in Maui?

Thanks

Stephen

That's encouraging. Do you recall by change the name(s) of the tour company you used in Maui?

Thanks

Stephen

The first year we booked with NCL and they used "Quick Silver". The second year we booked with Roberts and they used " The Pride of Maui". Both did a great job and we had a great day. Love to whale watch:).

DT

The first year we booked with NCL and they used "Quick Silver". The second year we booked with Roberts and they used " The Pride of Maui". Both did a great job and we had a great day. Love to whale watch:).

DT

Thanks for the info. So far neither NCL or Roberts is offering Whale Watching tours in either Maui or Kauai when we are there during the week of Dec 10, 2011. I'll keep checking though.

Thanks again.

Stephen

Thanks for the info. So far neither NCL or Roberts is offering Whale Watching tours in either Maui or Kauai when we are there during the week of Dec 10, 2011. I'll keep checking though.

Thanks again.

Stephen

There should be some chance sightings, but you are a little early. I highly recommend Teralani and Gemini, both out of Maui

Roberts (gorabbit) is going to offer them from Jan to March for Kona but the excursion hasn't opened up yet as they haven't confirmed pricing, I was told to check back in November.

However I see that your sailing in Dec but not sure if your early or late Dec. You may be too early to see them I would call Pacific Whale Foundation and get their advice.

If you do go y'll have to get your self to Lahaina which most likely will have to be car rental as nobody picks up at the pier where POA docks.

I'm not going until February but we are booked with Pacific Whale Foundation and the gentleman that I spoke to there was very very helpful...I would definitely call them and check to see about whales in December....their website also has a tracking of whales on it.

I'm not going until February but we are booked with Pacific Whale Foundation and the gentleman that I spoke to there was very very helpful...I would definitely call them and check to see about whales in December....their website also has a tracking of whales on it.

Thank you for the information. I will get in touch with them.

Stephen

The last two years NCL has used Pacific Whale Foundation as the vendor. However, these were in January.

Looked at Kona for our January 2012 cruises and there is no Whale Watching in Kona. Just a guess but perhaps because your going in early December and whale are known to appear around the Big Island first (they don't take a straight line between Alaska and Maui :) ) they are doing Kona because they haven't reached Maui in enough quantity.

The last two years NCL has used Pacific Whale Foundation as the vendor. However, these were in January.

Looked at Kona for our January 2012 cruises and there is no Whale Watching in Kona. Just a guess but perhaps because your going in early December and whale are known to appear around the Big Island first (they don't take a straight line between Alaska and Maui :) ) they are doing Kona because they haven't reached Maui in enough quantity.

As I stated earlier Roberts (gorabbit), will be offering whale watch out of Kona but they do not have pricing finalized here is a link to what they are showing up till now

http://gorabbitgo.com/prod_list_kona_hawaii.php

We are going on POA in April. I have booked the bus to Lahaina thru NCL, leaves at 9:30ish and then will do a whale watching tour thru The Lahaina Cruise Co. which leaves at noon for 2 hours. Then back on the NCL bus that leaves at 3 back to the ship. Gives a little time for shopping before and after. Price is about $60 for both. They run the whale tour from Dec.1 thru May1st. You can check them out online. Just one more idea for you to toss around:) Or you can take the NCL bus (which I understand drops you by the pier) and then whichever tour Co. suits your fancy.

• 5 months later...

Whale Watching with Pacific Whale Foundation was fantastic! We literally saw all the “brochure shots” right in front of us. We could clearly see the barnacles on a humpback that breached immediately in front of us, and then did it again even closer! The trip was so wonderful that we went again the second day (only later did we read the coupon they gave us with our ticket....15% off a future trip.) The staff was different the second day, and the trip was just as wonderful. We were on the Ocean Odyssey both days; get there early so you can snag a seat up front. The very best spot of all? Sitting on the metal box at the left front of the boat. Or standing at the front rail (you must be seated until they leave the harbor; once underway you are allowed to stand and move about, so head for the front rail if possible.) The narration, from college-educated marine naturalists, was great and really enhanced the experience.

They leave from Lahaina and also from Ma'alea Harbor (we went from Ma'alea). I had researched whale watching on Maui quite a bit, and the best plan certainly seemed to be using the experts ... Pacific Whale Watch. You won't be disappointed! We used them last week, Feb. 13 and Feb. 14. Can't wait to go back!!!

How do you get from the dock to the Pacific Whale Foundation in Lahaina for the whale watching tours? Can you walk?

I don't believe walking is realistic. My research indicates that you can take a taxi but it will be expensive (IMHO).

I also read that if you are on NCL there is the possibility of a shuttle.

There are also tours out of your port area.

Can you just walk up in Lahaina and book a Whale Watching Tour? I do not want to book ahead as there is the possibility that we will not be able to tender.

The companies are not willing to commit to a refund if the ship can not tender.

I understand this, therefore I am wondering if we can walk up and book a tour on the spot?

Thanks for all replys.

We did whale tours in both Maui and Kona this past January. In Maui it was like watching popcorn popping there were so many whales, in fact we had four whale mugging the ship

(holding us hostage) as the boats are not allowed to run their engines when whales are too close to the boat so for well over an hour we watched them breach, swim on their sides and stomachs , wave their flippers, constantly swim back and forth under the boat. As a result our tour was an hour late getting back as we couldn't move. We couldn't have gotten any closer unless we were in the water , a couple of them actually touched the boat with their fins. It was just amazing we got so many pics and about 15 minutes of video. We did the tour Pacific Whale Foundation out of Ma'alaea because it is right next door to Maui Ocean Center.

In Kona we did a tour in a zodiak the ride was great but you have to hold on, we did see whales but no comparison to Maui. Would I do Kona whale tour again yes. We booked this through Roberts go rabbit and they use Sea Hawaii and you get the zodiak right at the same pier that you tender to if your on POA.

The main reason we booked two tours was because in 2010 our whale tour was cancelled due to weather so we didn't get a chance to see any up close.

On our sail by Napaili Coast we saw a dead whale floating by the ship quite close, it looked to be mid sized so we thought that it might of had difficulties giving birth but it was sad to see.

Most tour companies if not all will credit you back if the ship misses port.

Whale Watching with Pacific Whale Foundation was fantastic! We literally saw all the “brochure shots” right in front of us. We could clearly see the barnacles on a humpback that breached immediately in front of us, and then did it again even closer! The trip was so wonderful that we went again the second day (only later did we read the coupon they gave us with our ticket....15% off a future trip.) The staff was different the second day, and the trip was just as wonderful. We were on the Ocean Odyssey both days; get there early so you can snag a seat up front. The very best spot of all? Sitting on the metal box at the left front of the boat. Or standing at the front rail (you must be seated until they leave the harbor; once underway you are allowed to stand and move about, so head for the front rail if possible.) The narration, from college-educated marine naturalists, was great and really enhanced the experience.

They leave from Lahaina and also from Ma'alea Harbor (we went from Ma'alea). I had researched whale watching on Maui quite a bit, and the best plan certainly seemed to be using the experts ... Pacific Whale Watch. You won't be disappointed! We used them last week, Feb. 13 and Feb. 14. Can't wait to go back!!!

We aren't going until the end of April. I hope the whales are still around. Do you think we would see more whales in Ma'alea? We are docking in Lahaina so that would be closer but we don't mind driving to the other location if we might see more whales.

Thanks

Angela

We went with Pacific Whale Watching as well last week and had an amazing trip. Whales were everywhere around us...didn't matter where you were on the boat - I was in the front and my DH was in the back on the starboard (left side) and saw tons as well. I estimate that we saw at least 40 whales - one was a pod of about 10 is what the naturalist said which was highly unusual. We saw whales fighting, breaching, slapping their fins, babies....I am already planning on going back again next year.

As far as walking to Lahaina - depends on what ship you are on - if you are on the POA - walking won't work. We rented a car and drove over there which they tell you is about a 45 minute drive...didn't take us that long but it is a 4 lane - at times a 2 lane in some areas so I can see where it can get bogged down.

I did see people walk up and get on a tour but I also saw them turn people away while waiting for our boat so you could be taking your chances.

Archived