Cruise lines are offering extra choices for extra cost

TWELVEOHONE

Please, I beg you, do not turn this into a discussion about formal night!! :eek:

I hear what you are saying about "teflon memory," and I agree with you that cruising offers tremendous value. My point is that all cruise lines are so competitive at present (as are all-inclusive resorts) that add-on after add-on could be the influencing factor to choose another line, or vacation option, over Celebrity for all other than the most diehard of fans. Surely some people appreciate what a mega ship may offer, but those 1342 balconied rooms (meaning a horde of at least 2684 people), gratuities to supplement workers' salaries, the price of libations, and $40/night for better than decent food ultimately detracts from the value. Nevertheless, this trend of adding on - a clandestine means of raising prices - will continue until enough people say enough is enough, and vote with their wallets.

Cheers,

John

The current trend is to give as many passengers as possible a decent cruise experience for a reasonable price. It used to be that only the wealthy could afford to cruise, most in small inside or porthole type "ocean view" cabins, with only a few in very expensive balcony cabins. Now most cruise lines are building ships with a very high percentage of balcony cabins, a stateroom category that in the past only a few people could afford. On the Silhouette, for example, there are only 143 inside cabins and 12 ocean view cabins, while the clear majority, 1342 of them, are balcony cabins. We are indeed getting much more for our money than ever before, even considering that the food in the MDR is no longer gourmet quality like before. That people still complain about food quality being lower than before while ignoring the fact that they now enjoy a cruise experience with many more activities and venues than ever before, all at a cost that is significantly lower, indicates that they suffer from a severe case of "selective memory".

Another difference, in the 'good old days' people had to dress up for dinner every night in a style similar to what is now requested for the occasional formal night. How many people want to go back to that kind of cruising?? :D

Nevertheless, this trend of adding on - a clandestine means of raising prices - will continue until enough people say enough is enough, and vote with their wallets.

Cheers,

John

So, what is your solution? Raising the price another $1000 per person so the meals in the MDR are gourmet quality, the specialty restaurants are no charge (now requiring reservations to be made months in advance just to get a seat in one of these smaller dining venues), and drinks, wine and coffee are free? Sorry, but that doesn't equate to a value for me, and probably the majority of cruisers today. I'm not interested in subsidizing someone else's drinking habit, nor do I want to be forced to compete for a much in demand reservation in one of the smaller, more intimate dining venues because they would now be included in the base fare and everyone would want to try them.

If Celebrity only wanted to attract passengers who expect the best of everything and are willing to pay for it, they would not have built all the new mega ships they did in recent years. When a cruise line has that many berths to fill they need to appeal to a very large segment of the population, which includes people from all socio-econmic classes.

If Celebrity only wanted to attract passengers who expect the best of everything and are willing to pay for it, they would not have built all the new mega ships they did in recent years. When a cruise line has that many berths to fill they need to appeal to a very large segment of the population, which includes people from all socio-econmic classes.

This is why X created Azamara and made it a separate line and there definately are differences in the experiences.

This is why X created Azamara and made it a separate line and there definately are differences in the experiences.

dabear, I agree with you. I think Azamara was created to be what Celebrity was years ago when it only had a few small ships, while Celebrity is becoming more like other mass market cruise lines. However, like other mass market cruise lines, a person can greatly enhance their overall cruise experience on Celebrity by booking a suite, eating at specialty restaurants, having frequent spa treatments, etc.

However, like other mass market cruise lines, a person can greatly enhance their overall cruise experience on Celebrity by booking a suite, eating at specialty restaurants, having frequent spa treatments, etc.

Exactly. And people on a tighter budget can still enjoy a wonderful cruise without these luxuries. Everybody wins!! Except, of course, those who need something to complain about :rolleyes:

We started Cruising in the mid 80's. I remember being on the second sailing of a brand new ship that had a specialty restaurant, something we'd never seen before. We were told that it had an additional charge but it was a place to go for special occasions, like anniversaries and birthdays. It was not pushed at all.

Of course in those days, the main dining room was the only other food venue and the food was fantastic. Those were the days of midnight buffets every single night.

We did some ship excursions, but mostly, we would rent a little car and drive around the islands exploring the scenery and meeting the people (usually when we were lost :)).

The entertainment was put on in the lounge, there were no theaters. It was intimate and fun.

We used a cruise agent for our bookings and we were always upgraded at least 3 levels from what we had purchased. There weren't many ships with balconies, so we just got nicer outside cabins.

Cruising was once an elegant experience. One dressed for dinner. It was a pleasure to enter the dining room to see everyone dressed like they were going to a fancy, upscale restaurant. We didn't have this high-style in real life, so cruising was like entering a fantasy world where we could play at being folks in the movies. Formal night was a fun way to escape the reality of our normal wardrobes.

It's true that the prices of cruises have not risen with the times, but what we get today is something totally different than what we had.

The mass-market appeal has really changed things. Cabin upgrades are now in the hands of the supernatural (upgrade fairies) and no longer routine. The food is not as good, the midnight buffets are only memories and the passengers with the attitude of "it's my vacation, I'll wear what I want and damn the rules" has ended any semblance of elegance.

I dearly love being on a boat in the water, so I continue to enjoy cruising, but it's turned into floating all-inclusive hotels that could just as well be stuck to dirt as floating on the ocean.

JMTCW

Archived