I'm back...Home from the Marina with a review (long)

Bruin Steve

Funny, but I seem to remember reading early on O thought Red Ginger would be people's least favorite of the four specialty restaurants on Marina, and it has pretty consistently shown to be people's favorite, even acknowledged by Mr. Del Rio in this column. It was our favorite too. Just goes to show nothing in life is a sure thing. Sea bass in miso - oh, my mouth waters just thinking about it.

BRUIN STEVE

I wish I knew you were onboard for this sailing or I would of introduced myself.

My wife and I boarded Marina in Barcelona and disembarked in Monte Carlo- was only on for less than 48 hours for an inspection trip.

We're addressing the whistling noise coming from a handful of sliding glass doors.

The "too many" light switches in the Oceania and Vista Suites has been fixed on Riviera and will be on Marina at her next Drydock.

Toscana and La Reserve are incredible, but highest rated restaurant on Marina is Red Ginger!

Appreciate your kind words- I know that you are a knowledgeable and experienced cruiser and someone not easily pleased, so your very positive review is highly respected.

Hope to have you back onboard again soon.

FDR

Thanks, Frank...

I wish I knew you were on board as well. I would have liked to meet you in person. Maybe next time...The way our schedules seem to be working out, it's likely summer of 2013. I am hoping to find a voyage on Riviera perhaps.

As to the doors, I am sure you've gotr that covered...Someone else on our cruise had a similar issue and got it dixed mid-cruise. The light switches, perhaps one master switch to overide all of the others? the lighting is outstanding...all of the lights dim and light different portions of the suite, so you can get any mood you want...it just takes some time to figure them all out.

We actually thought Red Ginger was excellent--perhaps our third favorite after Toscana and the night at La Reserve. I just happen to love Toscana...But, it's really all a matter of personal preference. ALL of the restaurants, including the Grand Dining Room, were outstanding. IMHO, Oceania is simply the best dining at sea. I'll extend that...It's better than most of what you get on land as well. Just before we left for this cruise, we had dinner at Spago in Beverly Hills...and I'd say Toscana easily rivals that--perhaps surpasses it...

With the GDR, the four main specialty restaurants and La Reserve, there is incredible variety on Marina...We spread our specialty restaurant reservations out across the itinerary so that each night was different from the one before...hard to do this on most other ships...

We were on the Marina maiden voyage. Did they ever fix the following:

1. add a clothes line in the master bathroom?

2. add a soap dish to the master shower?

3. add something to block the light from the living room into the bedroom through all of the windows in the doors?

3. add something to block the light from the living room into the bedroom through all of the windows in the doors?

Truthfully, I don't know about #1 and #2...

I never washed anything myself, so a clothesline is not something I bothered worrying about...Wehn I wore my swim trunks for the couple of times I got to use the Jacuzzi, I just laid them out over the edge of the bathtub to dry...didn't think about clotesllines...

I never showered in the Master bath...my wife was always in there...Like most husbands, it seems, I was relegated to the "guest bath"--only one soap dish, but it seemed sufficient...I didn't see this as an issue.

As to #3, the doors to the bedroom do have translucent, rather than opaque, panels...but, when we went to bed, we just turned out all the lights in the rest of the suite, so we never thought this was much of an issue either...I suppose, if one person wished to go to bed in darkness and the other wished to sit up in the Living Room with bright lights on, this would be a problem...For us, even when my wife went to bed early, I typically retired to the media room and turned off the lights in the living room...

Steve, I very much enjoyed reading your Marina review. Thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive one. Since we came back in late June from our Marina Baltic cruise and I posted a very positive review, there has been a lot of negativity on this board about the new ship, so I am happy to find that someone else agrees with my perception. BTW, we had no tender ports on our cruise (we missed our one tender port), so no problem embarking or disembarking with more people.

Due to itinerary preference, our next cruise will be on Regatta, and although my spouse is just fine with his return to the the "R" ships, I admittedly regret that we will not be experiencing the lovely extra restaurant options and gorgeous public venues.

Due to itinerary preference, our next cruise will be on Regatta, and although my spouse is just fine with his return to the the "R" ships, I admittedly regret that we will not be experiencing the lovely extra restaurant options and gorgeous public venues.

CintiPam,

I am in the reverse situation; while we prefer the R ships, due to itinerary we liked, we booked again on the Marina. However, it will not be a hardship, to say the least, and the specialty restaurants will be welcome.

I only wish I could stay in the Oceania Suite like Bruin Steve :D

We were in 11083 on the voyage after the Marinas maiden voyage, and by that time there was already a clothes line and a soap dish in the master bath.

023222.jpg

Also, the panes of glass in the doors were frosted white, so there was virtually zero light transfer from room to room

Archived