Need help, what to choose- Carnival Dream or Fascination? Please help!

rdevine10

Hi all,

(I posted this on the Carnival Board, but wanted opinions here too please!)

We have a cruise booked for Oct of 2012 but now need to reschedule to April of 2012.. Initially we were booked on an Eastern Dream Cruise stopping at St Thomas, Nassau & St Marten.

When we can go in April we have a choice of either a Western Dream or a 5 day Fascination (Nassau & Half Moon Cay).

My kids are going to be 6 and 9. Waterworks is a MUST for this cruise. Our only other cruise was on the Disney Dream to Nassau & Castaway Cay.

The Fascination is over $1000 cheaper for a similar room for 5 nights vs the cost of a cabin on the Dream (which a Spa upgrade would be about $1100 more than the Fascination).

I know the Fascination is older & smaller, but it seems to have nice things like Mini Golf, waterworks, etc my kids would like. I would LOVE to go to Half Moon Cay! It looks like heaven! A cabana would definitely be in the budget!

That being said the Western Caribbean looks nice too. I can figure out fun things we would like for all but one port (Belize), as cave tubing looks great, but would be too intense for my 6 year old. I think we could use it as another sea day.

I am torn. Is $1100 for 2 more days with more costly excursions really worth the cost? Is the Dream that much better? I am very budget oriented so I am having a hard time justifying the cost difference!

Help! Opinions on what we should choose? What would my kids like better?

Thanks for your help!

I am confused...What grade of cabin are you looking at on the Fascination...and if you really want to do the Dream but are concerned about the cost - why the Spa upgrade? Your kids will like either one...If they haven't cruised before, why not try the Fascination first? EM

Sorry, I guess I didnt explain myself enough?

I was looking at an interior cabin on both ships. The spa cabin was only about $60 more than the regular interior (given the location I would want). It would be a minor expense if we went with the Carnival Dream.

Yes, we have cruised before, as I mentioned, on the Disney Dream. I know Carnival will be different. But, given the cost aspect of Disney right now, its not an option at all. And yes, we already cruised in an interior room. The insides on both the Fasination & the Carnival Dream are larger than the Disney Dream rooms, so I am not concerned. Inside was just fine for us.

I was trying to figure out if the Carnival Dream was really worth the cost difference (ie: better experience, more to do, etc). Its a large difference in cost, IMO, for an route I am not as excited about- now if it was an eastern route, well, I know my decision then!

I keep hearing how great the Carnival Dream is for families, but Im not sure its worth the price difference for the time frame we are looking to go.

Im pretty sure we are going to book the Carnival Fascination at this point.

I like the Fantasy Class ships better. If the Fasination has the Waterworks on the rear, I would choose it over the Dream. I have not been on the Dream, but have been on Conquest class, nice, had fun, but too big for me.

DD 8 has been on the Carnival Fantasy twice, which is similar in size to the Fasination, and loved it. The Waterworks area is great. Even if the "big slide" is not open, (due to wind usually), the racing slides will be, along with the sprouts and dump buckets. Plus the bonus of HMC. I'm actually looking at this itenerary for February of 2012.

Have fun what ever you decide.

IMO yes, it is worth the money. I haven't travelled on either of these ships but anytime I could choose a newer ship, (2009 Dream) over a much older ship (1994 Fascination) I'd choose the newer. IMHO I think the more modern ships have far more to offer.

I don't think I got your itinerary for the Dream (other than Belize) but that to me is a far better port than Nassau. I've been to both ports, Nassau many times and I'd choose nearly every port I've been to over returning to the Bahamas.

Happy sailings

Haven't been on the Dream (although DH would really like to), but HAVE done the Fascination. We did that same itinerary May 2010. It's true, there's not TONS to do on that ship, although the Waterworks is great. (The big slide WAS closed quite a bit due to wind, but there were still the smaller slides, dump buckets, etc.). Nassau isn't that great of a port... we've done it before, so this time we just stayed on the ship and hung by the pool. Half Moon Cay on the other hand is one of my favorite ports. Course, our Fascination cruise was someone different than expected because DH completely lost his mind when he booked and got somehow talked into the Grand Suite Extended Balcony. :eek:

Overall, our take is that we'd do Fascination again in a heartbeat (it was a good cruise) if the question comes down to money. (Jacksonville port was also FABULOUSLY EASY) BUT... we'd prefer a longer cruise (7 days) or more interesting ports if money was available. So for us, we'd go for the bigger/better cruise and save the money elsewhere (upgrades, shore excursions, etc.)

Hi all,

We have a cruise booked for Oct of 2012 but now need to reschedule to April of 2012.. Initially we were booked on an Eastern Dream Cruise stopping at St Thomas, Nassau & St Marten.

When we can go in April we have a choice of either a Western Dream or a 5 day Fascination (Nassau & Half Moon Cay).

My kids are going to be 6 and 9. Waterworks is a MUST for this cruise. Our only other cruise was on the Disney Dream to Nassau & Castaway Cay.

The Fascination is over $1000 cheaper for a similar room for 5 nights vs the cost of a cabin on the Dream (which a Spa upgrade would be about $1100 more than the Fascination).

I know the Fascination is older & smaller, but it seems to have nice things like Mini Golf, waterworks, etc my kids would like. I would LOVE to go to Half Moon Cay! It looks like heaven! A cabana would definitely be in the budget!

That being said the Western Caribbean looks nice too. I can figure out fun things we would like for all but one port (Belize), as cave tubing looks great, but would be too intense for my 6 year old. I think we could use it as another sea day.

I am torn. Is $1100 for 2 more days with more costly excursions really worth the cost? Is the Dream that much better? I am very budget oriented so I am having a hard time justifying the cost difference!

Thanks for your help!

I personally don't think there's a lot for a younger one to do in Belize that's worth while. Most of it is snorkeling in the open water, zip lining, long treks to the ruins, etc. I also don't think I'd ever sail a smaller/older ship than a Conquest class. They're cheaper for a reason, IMO. HMC is as wonderful as it looks, trust me on that one. As for the Waterworks and mini golf, Dream has that as well. I don't think the kids would notice the age of the ship, but I'm pretty sure any adult would. Though there are those folks who still sail them (obviously), I just personally wouldn't. Granted, any cruise is better than no cruise. But do I think the cost is worth it? Most definately.

And the excursions don't HAVE to be costly. There are many inexpensive options in all the ports. I'd be happy to offer ideas. In Cozumel, it's the perfect inexpensive beach day (Chankanaab Park/beach does charge an admission fee, but it's gorgeous but there are other cheaper options just as nice as well), as is Costa Maya. Roatan, Tabayana beach is pretty cheap through the cruise line (I think like $30 per person, includes transportation and water/lemonade/iced tea at the beach club). Belize can be tricky. I'm not a huge fan.

On the other hand, Nassau also almost requires an excursion. Walking around Nassau itself is less than entertaining or impressive. We've got a snorkeling/catamaran trip picked out for our Freedom sailing next year.

Hi all,

Thanks for your help!

I suggest you stick with the Carnival Dream as a newer ship and just having come off the Disney Dream, IMO, I think you will enjoy the experience more. I just sailed the Carnival Dream's Western Itinerary last week with my two youngest DDs (10 &8). We enjoyed the ship and the itinerary.

In Belize, we did a Carnival Excursion- City Tour and Belize Zoo. The zoo is interesting with, my girls enjoyed it and the ride touring the city was nice too. It's only about 4 hrs long so we had plenty of time once we got back on the ship to enjoy a somewhat empty Waterworks.

Archived