Current ATT/iPhone rates - Carnival / Mexico?

tafische

Searched and could not find any current info on CC -- I have never taken my phone out of the county and want to avoid any huge bills, but have to have to touch base a couple of times as part of the deal with family watching the kids.

I researched the ATT site and this is how I understand it -- please help me confirm--

- I don't need data, so disable data/3g, set roam off, disable fetch and set to manual so I should have zero data on the trip

- Calls on board are $2.49 per minute to call the US

- Calls while in Mexico are $.99 per minute to call the US

- All outbound txt are $.50

- Keep my phone in airplane mode except when I need to make a call (so no inbound calls)

** Here is where I am concerned - inbound TXT messages which I have no control over.

- I have a 1000 txt plan and am well within my limits. As I read it there will be NO charge for incoming messages on this ship or in Mexico.

This part seemed suspect to me. Anyway - if someone could verify my assumptions are correct. If this is right and I make a two - two minute calls from the ship and two - two minute calls from Mexico, I should be looking at no more than $10 extra on my bill as I read it....

Any other caveats or problems with this that you experienced folks see?

Edited by tafische

I have ATT and a smartphone. I just called them last week because we are going to Bermuda and what they told me was this.

Incoming Texts are $.25 per text. Outgoing are $.50.

This is not part of your Text plan. It is international texting.

Your per minute rate you quoted is correct, plus Roaming fee's.

When you are off the ship, you can use WiFi for emails and data.

If you use your phone for Data, that is very expensive. (WiFi is free)

If you call ATT, just ask for their International Department, they can answer any questions you have.

I have ATT and a smartphone. I just called them last week because we are going to Bermuda and what they told me was this.

Your per minute rate you quoted is correct, plus Roaming fee's.

When you are off the ship, you can use WiFi for emails and data.

If you use your phone for Data, that is very expensive. (WiFi is free)

If you call ATT, just ask for their International Department, they can answer any questions you have.

I agree with Snoodel. However, if you keep your iPhone in airplane mode you will not receive any text messages what so ever. Once your back near LA, you can turn the phone back on and get a tidal wave of messages... LOL

I got different info from ATT when I called about using my iPhone. They said that as long as I have a text plan,(we have unlimited texting for $30 per month) incoming texts are free, and outgoing were .50 each. Just checked my bill (came back Sat. from Miracle) and see that that is exactly what I was charged. If you want, for $10 a month you can get an international text plan that allows you 100 texts of any kind - it will be pro-rated for whatever amount of time you keep it on.

Searched and could not find any current info on CC -- I have never taken my phone out of the county and want to avoid any huge bills, but have to have to touch base a couple of times as part of the deal with family watching the kids.

I researched the ATT site and this is how I understand it -- please help me confirm--

- I don't need data, so disable data/3g, set roam off, disable fetch and set to manual so I should have zero data on the trip

- Calls on board are $2.49 per minute to call the US

- Calls while in Mexico are $.99 per minute to call the US

- All outbound txt are $.50

- Keep my phone in airplane mode except when I need to make a call (so no inbound calls)

** Here is where I am concerned - inbound TXT messages which I have no control over.

- I have a 1000 txt plan and am well within my limits. As I read it there will be NO charge for incoming messages on this ship or in Mexico.

This part seemed suspect to me. Anyway - if someone could verify my assumptions are correct. If this is right and I make a two - two minute calls from the ship and two - two minute calls from Mexico, I should be looking at no more than $10 extra on my bill as I read it....

Any other caveats or problems with this that you experienced folks see?

An international feature is not required to receive calls and place calls back to the U.S. while on board this cruise ship, however international roaming rates apply for all calls placed or received. If you will need to place calls to other international destinations while on board, you will need to have an international roaming or dialing feature added to your mobile

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1578&MNC=CING

I initially found this page and got those rates on TXT --

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1578&MNC=CING

At the bottom it says

Send Text Message: $0.50 per message sent

Send Picture and Video Messages: $1.30 per message sent

Receive Text, Picture and Video Messages: Home pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text, picture or video messages received when roaming internationally. Please visit http://www.att.com for details.

That TXT message statement was a little vauge, which prompted my posting here. After I got that reply from you, I did a little more digging and found an ATT International support chat session button on their web site and this is what they said:

ATT: Incoming messages are deducted from your text messaging plan. If you exceed your text messaging plan or do not have one, each incoming message is billed at $0.20.

ATT: Outgoing text messages are billed at $0.50 each.

ME: ok - and to verify - I have a 1000 message txt plan - so if I am within my plan then no charge to receive and no surcharge from cellular at sea or the mexico provider when I am on land in Mexico?

ATT: Correct.

So it appears I will be in good shape. If someone has seen something different and can post the reference or has actually been billed differently, please reply.

Thanks!

Edited by tafische

This only applies when you don't have a text plan. Since you have a text plan (1000 texts), all incoming texts are taken from the 1000 texts, just how pe4all explained it. I have used my iPhone 3 times on a ship and never got charged extra for incoming texts, they were taken out of my text plan. But if you are putting your phone on plane mode, you won't receive any texts.

An international feature is not required to receive calls and place calls back to the U.S. while on board this cruise ship, however international roaming rates apply for all calls placed or received. If you will need to place calls to other international destinations while on board, you will need to have an international roaming or dialing feature added to your mobile

I agree.

If you have a smart phone, don't forget that you can use Skype when you have a wifi connection. For example, last month we were in Cozumel. There is an internet cafe right across the road where you can connect wirelessly with wifi for $4/hour, and I used Skype to call my daughter from there. I think you need a Skype account and it will cost a few cents a minute, but really almost nothing. And you can check emails, etc while you are there.

Thanks all- I checked and I have "Expanded International Roaming" on my phone which says "Allows you to make and receive calls while traveling in more than 215 countries at pay-per-use rates." so it looks like I am good on that side. I dont care about a plan since I will only be make a few calls and I have no plans to send over 20 txt messages out (not any actually) so the global 50 is not worth it.

Good on the WiFi...I have a VOIP client and also use HeyTell on my phone already and if I can grab some wifi when on shore I will definitely do that.

I am a really tech savvy user, but they really make it hard to understand all the little details on charges....they always seem to surprise you.

• 2 years later...

I am going on the three day to Ensenada in two weeks. I cannot get a straight answer. ATT has cruise cellular plans but Carnival is not on the list of Cruise lines. Does that mean when at sea my only cellphone option is to pay $2.50 per minute or does the world plan work on the ship?

I am going on the three day to Ensenada in two weeks. I cannot get a straight answer. ATT has cruise cellular plans but Carnival is not on the list of Cruise lines. Does that mean when at sea my only cellphone option is to pay $2.50 per minute or does the world plan work on the ship?

The cellular plans that AT&T has I believe are for certain Celebrity and Royal Caribean ships. I believe they have some sort of deal worked out with RCI. I wish they would work something out with Carnival. We were on Celebrity Constellation and used one of those plans this year when we cruised without our DD. If you are ever on one of those ships I recommend it.

As far as the world plans, my understanding is that those only work if you are in that specific country. If you are on the ship, its through cellular at sea and you have to pay the $2.50 per minute, unless your cell provider has some deal with them, as mentioned above.

Thank you Lisa an Terry for your replies. They were both very helpful. I have found that older threads are a great jump off point to dig for info. It has paid off yet again. Thanks a bunch you two I really appreciate it.

When cruising, or traveling to the Middle East or Asia I get the international text plan for $30 for 200 text or $60 for 600 text which works well for me contacting family, and them contacting me. When I need to call, I use Skype or Oovoo via a wifi signal (free at my hotels, the airport, the mall, Starbucks, Fast Food places, etc), to avoid getting a calling plan. This works for me, and last cruise with the rates for calling from the ship being less than $2.50, I called from the ship, and kept the calls short just getting the facts of whats going on, and two calls were $10.00 on my S&S account. I also get the internet package for school work, and communicate via email. All the options are cheaper than calling from my cellphone using my ATT plan, or getting an international calling plan.