Would you chance missing your flight

l2f

We are cruising the week of Thanksgiving out of FLL. Our return flight home is the Saturday after Thanksgiving out of Miami Int'l. We have a non stop flight that the airline just moved up the time. It is the only non stop flight that day.

Would you chance missing the flight at 11:35AM? We plan to take a limo from port to Miami and always do self embark.

Thanks in advance

Do you plan to check luggage? If so - that might be cutting it close. You will need to check in and check luggage at least 45 minutes before your flight.

If you can do a carry on - you might be fine - -

Hey - the least you can do it try and hope they bump you down if you miss your flight!

There are no other flights out of Miami to my destination. So I would then have to go back to FLL. There is a 6PM flight out of FLL but I was hoping not to have to find something to do all day on Black Saturday. I would be checking at least one bag, maybe two.

We are cruising the week of Thanksgiving out of FLL. Our return flight home is the Saturday after Thanksgiving out of Miami Int'l. We have a non stop flight that the airline just moved up the time. It is the only non stop flight that day.

Would you chance missing the flight at 11:35AM? We plan to take a limo from port to Miami and always do self embark.

Thanks in advance

Personally I would not ... an 11:35 am flight is not even realistic in the grand scheme of things. Even if you are doing self-embarkation, until Customs releases the ship, you can't even think about leaving. So, even if you got lucky and could get off the ship by 8/8:30 am, you still have to get through customs and then get your ride to Miami which is anywhere from a half hour to an hour depending on traffic and then get through security in Miami - I've done Thanksgiving cruises and I wouldn't chance it. Maybe you can get your flight changed and deal with a non-direct flight.

The guideline for your situation according to Carnival is no earlier than 12:00pm.

However, and assuming that there are no delays, I don't think you'll have issues making that flight. True, a series of delays can occur that could make you miss a flight (even one within Carnival's guidelines), but under normal circumstances, your possiblities of making that flight are good. DO have a backup plan just in case.

The "guidelines", while helpful, can't guarantee that you'll make your flight every time either. When we sailed out of NYC a few years ago, the ship was so delayed that anybody with flights before 5pm didn't make them. On the other end, we sailed out of Miami a few years ago and I made a 9am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale!

MIA is a very big airport,security is very slow there.You are about 45min. to 1 hr. from Ft.laud.port to MIA .Luckly it is Sat. and all expressway there.Don't forget that there will be a lot of ships in port both in Miami and Ft.Laud.The airports are crazy on Sat. and Sunday.

Thanks in advance

11:35??

I would risk it, absolutely.

Thanks in advance

Under normal conditions you will be to the airport by about (:00 am if you do self disembark. That word "normal" assumes alot.......

If you said your flight was 10:35 I would tell you that you are being selfish and hoping for a bunch of accomodations in order to get you there......

but 11:35 is realistic barring the ship getting in late and any delays from customs.....statistically you will be successful 90 percent of the time.......its that other 10 percent you have to worry about.....

On a Holiday Weekend which is the busies travel weekend of the year you are guaranteed to be waiting around in the airport till Tuesday if you miss your flight.......and with today's fares god knows what they will charge you!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Under normal conditions you will be to the airport by about 9:00 am if you do self disembark. That word "normal" assumes alot.......

If you said your flight was 10:35 am I would tell you that you are being selfish and hoping for a bunch of accomodations in order to get you there......

but 11:35 is realistic barring the ship getting in late and any delays from customs.....statistically you will be successful 90 percent of the time.......its that other 10 percent you have to worry about.....

On a Holiday Weekend which is the busiest travel weekend of the year you are guaranteed to be waiting around in the airport till Tuesday if you miss your flight.......and with today's fares god knows what they will charge you!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

We are sailing out of Miami but flying in/out of FLL. Our return flight from FLL to BOS has been changed to 11:45. (Originally 1:55) We have reservations booked with SAS Shuttle and I'm not worried in the least.

I think you'll be fine.

MIA is a very big airport,security is very slow there.You are about 45min. to 1 hr. from Ft.laud.port to MIA .Luckly it is Sat. and all expressway there.Don't forget that there will be a lot of ships in port both in Miami and Ft.Laud.The airports are crazy on Sat. and Sunday.

No, it's about 30 min from MIA to Port Everglades. There should not be much traffic early in the morning.

We have a 12:30pm flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and now I'm getting a little nervous. I have never booked a flight that early, but it was the only direct. We do self debark, so I hope all goes well.

I believe you are sailing from Port Everglades, which is minutes from FLL. Literally, minutes.

fllport.jpg

The port is visible from the airport. You can see the Carnival ship in the picture.

Remember,Thanksgiving is the busiest travel week of the year. As far as checked bags I always check at the curb, even with a line it is always faster than inside. Would I take the chance? NO. Even if you do and make the flight, you will have that dark cloud hanging over you for the entire week.

Thanks in advance

The key point here is that it is Thanksgiving weekend. You need to be at MIA no later than 9:30 to make that flight. MIA is about 45 minutes from FLL. While there is a chance you can make that flight, if you miss it, it might take until the middle of the week before you get home. There is just not a lot of extra capacity in the airline industry right now. The good thing is that that is the lightest travel day of the weekend.

The one problem with your plan is your only backup is a flight out of FLL 6 hours later. If you do miss your flight, the likelihood of their being available seats on that flight out of FLL AND the airline letting you switch to that flight is very slim.

Would I book that flight? No, but I have missed a flight home from a cruise before - not fun at all. That being said unless something goes wrong you should make it. If it were me though, I would be booking a different flight. If the flight is already booked and the airline changed the flight, I would be getting a refund and booking on a different airline.

OP Just an FYI ... on that date in Port in FLL there are a total of 6 ships debarking.:eek:

Also in POM there are 3.

So add all those cruisers to the already heaviest travel weekend of the year in making your decision.

Not to mention that two of those ships are oasis and epic, so count them as 2 each since they each are huge.

We did self debarkation on a couple of our cruises. The last one was out of Fort Lauderdale, but we arrived at the airport some time before the people who used Carnival's service for people with early flight. I would say we were there by about 9:00 am. Miami will take a little longer, but you might be Ok. I wouldn't want to be leaving that early, but some people do.

Archived