Time will be short.....QM2

helpthejuggler

We are lined up for our first trip on QM2 in october. Only 2 nights, so not a moment to waste. What would be on your list to enjoy as we can't do everything in just 2 days.

Afternoon tea in the Queens Room has to be on the list. We only get one so it's going to be busy.

We are lined up for our first trip on QM2 in october. Only 2 nights, so not a moment to waste. What would be on your list to enjoy as we can't do everything in just 2 days.

Hi,

Well, there is no formal night on the 14th October trip to France and back, no Captain's Reception/Welcome Cocktail Party and no "Royal Night" Balls in the Queens Room, the Library will be closed (for borrowing books), as will the bridge viewing area, no lectures... which means you'll miss a little of what makes Cunard special for many people.

But there is still the thrill of being on Deck 13 to hear the mighty whistles sound as QM2 pulls away from the quay in both Southampton and Cherbourg, the sailaway party (weather permitting) near the stern just afterwards, the Commodore Club, the Chart Room, the Britannia Restaurant, Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room, the Theatres (both of them), the wrap-around teak Promenade, G32, the spa, lunch in the Golden Lion, and so much more...

You really need to take a transatlantic crossing to experience everything that QM2 has to offer. You'll miss large areas of the ship in two days I'm sure.

Meanwhile, there are pictures of her interiors, plus a virtual "tour", via the link below so you can get to know a little of the ship before boarding, I hope. See you on board!

Best wishes, Bon Voyage!

Hello there in Royal Wootton Bassett,

You'll be getting off just as we'll be getting on! Well two nights will only be a quick taster of my most favourite ship but don't miss:

assuming you're not travelling in the Grills, breakfast and lunch in the Britannia Restaurant which is where you'll have the most wonderful dinners, cocktails before dinner in the Chart Room, cocktails after dinner in the Commodore Club, afternoon tea in the Queens Room and try if you can to get to a Planetarium show. Reading a book in the library is very relaxing and try snoozing in a steamer chair out on deck seven and imagine you're mid-atlantic!

Things to avoid: Kings Court buffet apart from lunch when you first board the ship (this will be your only option) this place gets really busy but we always just drop off our bags in the stateroom, head straight on up there for a nice lunch before it gets too busy then go back by which time our luggage will have arrived.

Hope you like QM2 and will consider doing a transatlantic crossing, this is what she does best!

So just do nothing. Rest, relax. Avoid the frenzy. Take a stoll on the deck - no other ship has such a promeade. Enjoy a swim in the Pavillion Pool when others are dining. Call room service for a nice cup of tea and dessert before you retire for the evening (suggestion: please tip servers). Please enjoy your voyage, but as others have noted, a 2 day voyage is like a blink of an eye on QM2. I hope that you will enjoy your short time on QM2. -Regards, Salacia

Cruachan...the OP doesn't have time for 3 breakfasts!

Don't be ridiculous. Two nights on the ship means there is time for at elast six breakfasts - nine, if you can find someplace still serving breakfast when you board on the first day.

Slacking is not simply not on - you have to drive yourself! :eek:

J

Don't be ridiculous. Two nights on the ship means there is time for at elast six breakfasts - nine, if you can find someplace still serving breakfast when you board on the first day.

Slacking is not simply not on - you have to drive yourself! :eek:

J

So two nights means three days, but no breakfast the first day. No breakfast in Britannia the last day...but breakfast all the time in Kings Court! Almost makes me wish I was big on breakfast. I just like a box of cereal and several hot cups of tea...very wimpy.:o

:eek:

Father Jack Hackett, an alcoholic priest and resident of Craggy Island. He was a character in one of the few genuinely funny TV sitcoms ever to be made in the UK.

J

Hey, J, could you give me the title? Maybe it's availble here. A friend recently recommened Doc Martin , which we really enjoyed. But when I mentioned it the Doc Martin series at dinner one night on QM2, the passengers from the UK didn't know what I was talking about...

edited to add: OP, sorry for going off thread...but this is the way a relaxed converstion goes on board :-)

Hey, J, could you give me the title? Maybe it's availble here. A friend recently recommened Doc Martin , which we really enjoyed. But when I mentioned it the Doc Martin series at dinner one night on QM2, the passengers from the UK didn't know what I was talking about...

Yeah, it was called "Father Ted" (after the lead character) and it originally aired on Channel 4 (one of our independent TV stations). It ran for three series between April 95 and May 98.

J

Well, whatever that lot constitute, it certainly isn't breakfast! :eek:

Damn, I'm getting hungry - time for number 2 I think.

J

No No, a box a cereal at 4am is very nice. Enjoy it in your cabin while building up your strength for a real breakfast.

Yeah, it was called "Father Ted" (after the lead character) and it originally aired on Channel 4 (one of our independent TV stations). It ran for three series between April 95 and May 98.

J

Thanks Cruachan, I'll see if I can get on DVD this side of the pond. Heard BBC has a new production - is it One Hour? ( or something like that) looking forward to seeing it.

If you don't mind suffering a few ads, here's link

Stewart

Thanks BigMac, but when I clicked on the link - the prompt said not available in your country. :(

Thanks for the reference...I'll find the show- good humour is hard to come by these days, but always much appreciated.

Eat! :D J

My voyage...

Day 1.

Board

Lunch in the Kings Court

Mid afternoon sandwiches in the Kings Court

Room service pre-dinner snack

Canapes in the Commodore Club

Dinner in the Britannia Restaurant

Late night munchies in the Kings Court buffet

Day 2

Room service pre-breakfast breakfast

Breakfast in the Britannia Restaurant

Post-breakfast breakfast in the Kings Court

Mid morning pastries in Sir Samuels

Pre-lunch fish & chips in the Golden Lion

Lunch in the Britannia Restaurant

Post-lunch lunch in the buffet of the Kings Court

Afternoon Tea, sandwiches & cakes in the Queens Room

Canapes in the Chart Room

Supper in the Kings Court

Room service midnight munchies

Day 3

Pre-breakfast breakfast in the Kings Court

Early mid-morning sandwiches grabbed from the Kings Court on the way to disembark

Disembark

:D

edited to add: OP, sorry for going off thread...but this is the way a relaxed converstion goes on board :-)

Hi Salacia, I love Doc Martin, a new series starts soon. Looking forward to watching it.

Catherine

Hi Salacia, I love Doc Martin, a new series starts soon. Looking forward to watching it.

Catherine

Hi Catherine. So happy to hear about the new series! Knew they couldn't end it that way...guess it will be awhile before the new series reaches my shores. cheers, Salacia

My voyage...

Day 1.

Board

Lunch in the Kings Court

Mid afternoon sandwiches in the Kings Court

Canapes in the Commodore Club

Late night munchies in the Kings Court buffet

Day 2

Room service pre-breakfast breakfast

Post-breakfast breakfast in the Kings Court

Mid morning pastries in Sir Samuels

Pre-lunch fish & chips in the Golden Lion

Lunch in the Britannia Restaurant

Post-lunch lunch in the buffet of the Kings Court

Afternoon Tea, sandwiches & cakes in the Queens Room

Canapes in the Chart Room

Supper in the Kings Court

Room service midnight munchies

Day 3

Pre-breakfast breakfast in the Kings Court

Early mid-morning sandwiches grabbed from the Kings Court on the way to disembark

Disembark

:D

Hey pepperrn, ever had fish & chips in Britannia at lunch? As good as the fish & chips is in Golden Lion, it was better in the MDR (when it is on the menu )...give it a go and let us know what you think. TASTE TEST!

No comment on the mushy peas since I have no idea what they are supposed to taste like :eek:

Archived