Time will be short.....QM2

helpthejuggler

Hey pepperrn, ever had fish & chips in Britannia at lunch? As good as the fish & chips is in Golden Lion, it was better in the MDR (when it is on the menu )...give it a go and let us know what you think. TASTE TEST!

Hi Salacia

I had fish&chips in the Britannia Restaurant on QV as I couldn't find a spare seat in the Golden Lion.

As you say, very good! I've yet to see it on the menu of the QM2 MDR, but I'd give it a try if I did!

No comment on the mushy peas since I have no idea what they are supposed to taste like :eek:

Not like the mushy peas in the Golden Lion. Cunard's version is good, but maybe a bit "posh".

My parents loved the lunch selection & speed of service in the Golden Lion on QM2 on a recent crossing.

Very best wishes.

My voyage...

Day 1.

Board

Lunch in the Kings Court

Mid afternoon sandwiches in the Kings Court

Room service pre-dinner snack

Canapes in the Commodore Club

Dinner in the Britannia Restaurant

Late night munchies in the Kings Court buffet

Day 2

Room service pre-breakfast breakfast

Breakfast in the Britannia Restaurant

Post-breakfast breakfast in the Kings Court

Mid morning pastries in Sir Samuels

Pre-lunch fish & chips in the Golden Lion

Lunch in the Britannia Restaurant

Post-lunch lunch in the buffet of the Kings Court

Afternoon Tea, sandwiches & cakes in the Queens Room

Canapes in the Chart Room

Supper in the Kings Court

Room service midnight munchies

Day 3

Pre-breakfast breakfast in the Kings Court

Early mid-morning sandwiches grabbed from the Kings Court on the way to disembark

Disembark

:D

Yup - that seems to pretty much cover the snacking side of the voyage. Add a few square meals to the mix and you're good! :D

J

J

My voyage...

Day 1.

Board

Lunch in the Kings Court

Day 2

Day 3

Early mid-morning sandwiches grabbed from the Kings Court on the way to disembark

Disembark

I can see we're going to have to start training now if we're to compete!

It occurs to me that I didn't really contribute much in terms of giving a sensible answer to your original question.

So, to the OP, I would say this, as you are only on board for a couple of nights, set some time aside for the purpose of simply exploring the ship. It's a big ship and there's a lot to see. I would recommend a visit to the viewing area behind the bridge which, as far as Cunard is concerned, is unique to QM2. The layout of the ship is somewhat odd in places and the time that you spend exploring will pay dividends later if you decide to do a longer cruise on her.

J

Hi,

Well, there is no formal night on the 14th October trip to France and back, no Captain's Reception/Welcome Cocktail Party and no "Royal Night" Balls in the Queens Room, the Library will be closed (for borrowing books), as will the bridge viewing area, no lectures... which means you'll miss a little of what makes Cunard special for many people.

But there is still the thrill of being on Deck 13 to hear the mighty whistles sound as QM2 pulls away from the quay in both Southampton and Cherbourg, the sailaway party (weather permitting) near the stern just afterwards, the Commodore Club, the Chart Room, the Britannia Restaurant, Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room, the Theatres (both of them), the wrap-around teak Promenade, G32, the spa, lunch in the Golden Lion, and so much more...

You really need to take a transatlantic crossing to experience everything that QM2 has to offer. You'll miss large areas of the ship in two days I'm sure.

Meanwhile, there are pictures of her interiors, plus a virtual "tour", via the link below so you can get to know a little of the ship before boarding, I hope. See you on board!

Best wishes, Bon Voyage!

Thanks for the suggestions. We are not certain that a TA is right for us. We are happy with sea days but only 1-2 in a row. This really is a taster, so we just want to check if we like Cunard which initially wasn't on our list, but we are sailing with friends who have sailed with them before.

Hello there in Royal Wootton Bassett,

You'll be getting off just as we'll be getting on! Well two nights will only be a quick taster of my most favourite ship but don't miss:

assuming you're not travelling in the Grills, breakfast and lunch in the Britannia Restaurant which is where you'll have the most wonderful dinners, cocktails before dinner in the Chart Room, cocktails after dinner in the Commodore Club, afternoon tea in the Queens Room and try if you can to get to a Planetarium show. Reading a book in the library is very relaxing and try snoozing in a steamer chair out on deck seven and imagine you're mid-atlantic!

Things to avoid: Kings Court buffet apart from lunch when you first board the ship (this will be your only option) this place gets really busy but we always just drop off our bags in the stateroom, head straight on up there for a nice lunch before it gets too busy then go back by which time our luggage will have arrived.

Hope you like QM2 and will consider doing a transatlantic crossing, this is what she does best!

We become 'Royal' on the day we return from this cruise (16th Oct). Is the Golden Lion not an option when we board? The Planetarium appeals to me, how long do we need to see it.

We will be dining in Brittania so typical of what we would book on a longer sailing.

Reading and Snoozing will be low on our list with the lack of time.

It occurs to me that I didn't really contribute much in terms of giving a sensible answer to your original question.

So, to the OP, I would say this, as you are only on board for a couple of nights, set some time aside for the purpose of simply exploring the ship. It's a big ship and there's a lot to see. I would recommend a visit to the viewing area behind the bridge which, as far as Cunard is concerned, is unique to QM2. The layout of the ship is somewhat odd in places and the time that you spend exploring will pay dividends later if you decide to do a longer cruise on her.

J

Pepperrn suggests that the bridge viewing area will be closed. I hope not as I like that kind of thing. I assume they will open it up after we are sailing.

Hope that we enjoy it and can consider something longer one day after the refit.

...Pepperrn suggests that the bridge viewing area will be closed. I hope not as I like that kind of thing. I assume they will open it up after we are sailing...

I defer to Pepper's greater knowledge of the ship. And, I'm sure he's right. With no sea days, they probably won't open it. Teach me to engage brain before operating keyboard :D:D

J

Partial quote

Pepperrn suggests that the bridge viewing area will be closed. I hope not as I like that kind of thing. I assume they will open it up after we are sailing.

Hope that we enjoy it and can consider something longer one day after the refit.

Hi helpthejuggler. If the bridge viewing area is closed, check out the Atlantic Room on Deck 11 (Lift A)...if the doors to the deck are open, there's a nice (albeit it small) viewing area there. You might also want to ride the exterior glass elevator which, if my memory is correct, runs from deck 7 to deck 12.:)

Partial quote

Hi helpthejuggler. If the bridge viewing area is closed, check out the Atlantic Room on Deck 11 (Lift A)...if the doors to the deck are open, there's a nice (albeit it small) viewing area there. You might also want to ride the exterior glass elevator which, if my memory is correct, runs from deck 7 to deck 12.:)

I think we are in danger of sending mixed messages here. The Bridge Observation Area that Pepper and I were referring to is the small area on 12 deck that lies immediately aft of the bridge and that allows you to watch what is going on on the bridge itself (usually nothing :D - but I still find it interesting!).

The observation deck immediately forward of the Atlantic room is an open area of deck that lies right below the bridge with an excellent view over the bow of the ship and with "wings" that match the bridge wings themselves in area and position. You're right though, it's relatively rare for that deck to be open when at sea because of the wind over the bow. If it is open, though, I thoroughly recommend it as a place to be when entering or leaving port.

J

My voyage...

Day 1.

Board

Lunch in the Kings Court

Day 2

Day 3

Disembark

If you are quick, you could get a second afternoon tea in Kings Court, and don't forget an ice cream or two. :)

i think we are in danger of sending mixed messages here. The bridge observation area that pepper and i were referring to is the small area on 12 deck that lies immediately aft of the bridge and that allows you to watch what is going on on the bridge itself (usually nothing :d - but i still find it interesting!).

The observation deck immediately forward of the atlantic room is an open area of deck that lies right below the bridge with an excellent view over the bow of the ship and with "wings" that match the bridge wings themselves in area and position. You're right though, it's relatively rare for that deck to be open when at sea because of the wind over the bow. If it is open, though, i thoroughly recommend it as a place to be when entering or leaving port.

J

Here's one view of the deck I mentioned - took me a while to find it on my files, not sure I even posted it correctly :eek: BTW, the photo was taken in 2007 according to the recorded date on my files (crikey, I'd forgotten about that short voyage: quite a lovely time it was) Anyway,I believe QM2 was tendered off Princess Cays. I took another snap from the same vantage point last December, but I think my computer ate it.

94612352_Deck11-Copy.jpg.d9a2094735b10de72558ac1273bc067c.jpg

Here's one view of the deck I mentioned - took me a while to find it on my files, not sure I even posted it correctly :eek: BTW, the photo was taken in 2007 according to the recorded date on my files (crikey, I'd forgotten about that short voyage: quite a lovely time it was) Anyway,I believe QM2 was tendered off Princess Cays. I took another snap from the same vantage point last December, but I think my computer ate it.

[attach]205966[/attach]

Yes, that's the observation area at the forward end of 11 Deck immediately below the bridge. That's one of my very favourite areas on the ship.

Here's a photo taken from the bridge viewing area which is a short stretch of corridor with windows onto the bridge itself. Access is via a door on the port side of 12 deck. It's open between the hours of 10.00am and 4.00pm (IIRC). Flash photography and video photography are forbidden in that area but still photography without flash is ok.

J

DSC1382_bridge1.jpg

Archived