Independance of the Seas

P&OMAN

Earlier this year me and my son went on the Independance of the Seas to the Med and listed below are some of our experiences.

Firstly we had a problem right away when we booked with Thomsons as they said RC wanted £74 each for tips.

I thought we had had no service what so ever and they were asking nearly £150 up front.

Thompson however said we did not have to pay it so we declined to do so.

Upon getting the papers from RC to my shock we were informed that we would have to have set dinning so that we would have set waiters that we could pay ,they even included what each waiter should get,what a bloody cheek nobody blackmails me.

Needless to say that got absolutely nothing,I will not be dictated to by anyone.

Its about time us british stuck up for ourselves we pay thousands for these cruise only for them to try and continually milk us for more,after all what does a waiter do,put a plate on the table how are you supposed to eat unless someone does it and to add 15% to put a drink in a glass is outrageous.

Secondly,on boarding at Southampton we were subjected to a queue to board which started off in one room like some elongated snake and then when you thought you had come to the end of that you went into another room with just as long a queue.In all it took over 2 hours to board this ship.

One thing that was particulary annoying was that if a passenger say had a stick he would go to the front of the queue,fair enough but what then happens all the people in that party also go with him,this can go into double figures and very much extends your boarding time.

After that when you eventually get on the ship you are then herded together for the emergency practices,believe it or not this took another hour to organise.

What a wonderful start to a holiday standing up for over 3 hours just to get on the ship.

THE TIP FOR THIS CRUISE IS TAKE A WALKING STICK WITH YOU IT WILL SAVE HOURS.

Regarding the food this was pretty dismal for what you are paying,on three occasions I picked a sirloin steak and every time it was sent back because it was so tough.

The Windjammer restaurant was no better than a BHS cafeteria,an awful place.

On entertainment ,this was really just one show a night ther really was no other choice,they were very poor,and the only person I had heard of (just about) was Zoe Tyler,thats right the women off Loose Women !!

The theatres capacity is 1200,now when you have a ship which takes 4370 how is everyone supposed to see the show even with 2 sittings.

In practice you need to go to the theatre at least 30 mins before the show started to get a seat and obviously many people missed out.However saying that we walked out twice as the shows were so poor.

All in all a very disappointing holiday and one I would certainly not go on again,even if it was free.

"All in all a very disappointing holiday and one I would certainly not go on again,even if it was free. "

Well, I certainly would travel if it was free, but, I lovel RCL and have 4 cruises booked with them, I think the OP's screen name says it all.

At least this means us loyal to royal won't have to suffer any moaning in future.

Maybe try forging a better relationship with your dining room servers in future if all they have done for you in the past is put your plate down. We have had some of our best destination tips from dining room staff, great food recommendations, updates on weather, cruise itinerary and activities. They are a great resource well worth the tip!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.386915,1.436836

"All in all a very disappointing holiday and one I would certainly not go on again,even if it was free. "

Well, I certainly would travel if it was free, but, I lovel RCL and have 4 cruises booked with them, I think the OP's screen name says it all.

At least this means us loyal to royal won't have to suffer any moaning in future.

Earlier this year me and my son went on the Independance of the Seas to the Med and listed below are some of our experiences.

Firstly we had a problem right away when we booked with Thomsons as they said RC wanted £74 each for tips.

I thought we had had no service what so ever and they were asking nearly £150 up front.

Upon getting the papers from RC to my shock we were informed that we would have to have set dinning so that we would have set waiters that we could pay ,they even included what each waiter should get,what a bloody cheek nobody blackmails me.

Needless to say that got absolutely nothing,I will not be dictated to by anyone.

Its about time us british stuck up for ourselves we pay thousands for these cruise only for them to try and continually milk us for more,after all what does a waiter do,put a plate on the table how are you supposed to eat unless someone does it and to add 15% to put a drink in a glass is outrageous.

Secondly,on boarding at Southampton we were subjected to a queue to board which started off in one room like some elongated snake and then when you thought you had come to the end of that you went into another room with just as long a queue.In all it took over 2 hours to board this ship.

One thing that was particulary annoying was that if a passenger say had a stick he would go to the front of the queue,fair enough but what then happens all the people in that party also go with him,this can go into double figures and very much extends your boarding time.

After that when you eventually get on the ship you are then herded together for the emergency practices,believe it or not this took another hour to organise.

What a wonderful start to a holiday standing up for over 3 hours just to get on the ship.

Regarding the food this was pretty dismal for what you are paying,on three occasions I picked a sirloin steak and every time it was sent back because it was so tough.

On entertainment ,this was really just one show a night ther really was no other choice,they were very poor,and the only person I had heard of (just about) was Zoe Tyler,thats right the women off Loose Women !!

The theatres capacity is 1200,now when you have a ship which takes 4370 how is everyone supposed to see the show even with 2 sittings.

In practice you need to go to the theatre at least 30 mins before the show started to get a seat and obviously many people missed out.However saying that we walked out twice as the shows were so poor.

All in all a very disappointing holiday and one I would certainly not go on again,even if it was free.

I think you should stop cruising mate, take a break, never seen such a bad post on the IOTS...........................

Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience with RCI. The reason you had set times for dining was that in order to have 'My Time Dining' you are required to pre-pay your gratuities. As you did not at the time of booking, you were given a set time.

Obviously if you had done a little research on here before you booked and travelled, you would have found out about the recommended gratuities, what they are for (not just putting a plate down in front of you) and the 15% gratuities on all beverage purchases.

As you obviously enjoy P&O, I'd like to suggest that you continue to sail with them in the future as they must cater to your requirements and are a better fit than RCI.

Not all cruise lines suit everyone, but RCI suits me just fine.

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a pleasant experience.

I think a lot of times fun is what you make of it. If you can't put on a happy face and go with the flow, you aren't going to have an enjoyable time.

As for lines, they're everywhere! Waiting around in line is just something that you have to find a way to deal with. I understand the frustration, but I'm also a little bothered that you don't understand why someone with a walking cane (probably elderly, or disabled?) and their family gets to skip standing in line.

Anyway, hope you have a more enjoyable time on a different type of vacay.

I feel bad that you didn't enjoy you time on Independence of the Seas.......& I agree that sometimes the food maybe average on some nights and that the theatre is cramped at the best of times and that the shows may be cringe-worthy...

However.........I do disagree with your attidute to the majority of what you have commented on.

Firstly the tipping....If you wanted to do My Time Dining then this requires Pre-paid gratuities, its a policy that have and a fair one at that to ensure all waiters get what they deserve! And BOY do they deserve it!!! It is not blackmail, Royal Caribbean is an American company, in America it is a costum to tip, therefore on Royal Caribbean you tip. The waiters are paid almost nothing by the company (I recall a conversation with one about earning $30 a day, a minimun of 10 hours per day.)

Anything else they earn is down to gratuities from guests. I truely feel for the people whom you didnt tip as it wasn't them who made the rules, they are simply trying to make a living.

This is not a secret thing they spring on you, it is known. You should have researched before booking if you were going to be this affected by it.

Secondly....If you were in a position where you had a disability of some sort you would not tolerate or maybe even be able to queue for a certain period of time. Put yourself in that persons shoes! Also if you were that person you would certainly not want to be taken out and brought through without your family.

If you don't want to queue for hours then you arrive early to avoid this, easily avoidable.

Thirdly....the muster drill. This is a mandatory procedure. In the event of an emergency wouldn't you prefer to have had an hour taken from you for the greater good??

And Finally....would you REALLY turn down a free cruise?!?!?!?!!?

REALLY?!?!?:eek:

I am confused about your unhappiness about the tipping as I can see you have cruised many times before and also on Celebrity. I have booked a P & O cruise and unless I have the Club Dining which is set dining times I also have to prepay my tips. Tipping on cruise ships has been around for a long time and if people refuse to tip, prices will increase. I am not saying you should tip if you receive bad service but the amount of tipping recommended should be taken into consideration by you when you book your cruise. Cruising today is affordable and we can book a cruise today for the same price as was advertised over 20 years ago.

Having travelled on one of IOTS sister ships I have only been to a couple of shows so you will find on most ships that not every passenger wants to see the shows. There are plenty other things to keep us entertained.

Every cruise line offers something different, and some people will prefer things on one line and something else on another. Tipping however is common on most of the lines unless you are cruising the luxury end of the market. Perhaps it was the way your TA put the RCCL tip information across to you.

I do like RCCL among other lines but I am looking forward to trying P & O.

earlier this year me and my son went on the independance of the seas to the med and listed below are some of our experiences.

Firstly we had a problem right away when we booked with thomsons as they said rc wanted £74 each for tips.

Upon getting the papers from rc to my shock we were informed that we would have to have set dinning so that we would have set waiters that we could pay ,they even included what each waiter should get,what a bloody cheek nobody blackmails me.

Needless to say that got absolutely nothing,i will not be dictated to by anyone.

Secondly,on boarding at southampton we were subjected to a queue to board which started off in one room like some elongated snake and then when you thought you had come to the end of that you went into another room with just as long a queue.in all it took over 2 hours to board this ship.

The tip for this cruise is take a walking stick with you it will save hours.

Regarding the food this was pretty dismal for what you are paying,on three occasions i picked a sirloin steak and every time it was sent back because it was so tough.

The windjammer restaurant was no better than a bhs cafeteria,an awful place.

On entertainment ,this was really just one show a night ther really was no other choice,they were very poor,and the only person i had heard of (just about) was zoe tyler,thats right the women off loose women !!

In practice you need to go to the theatre at least 30 mins before the show started to get a seat and obviously many people missed out.however saying that we walked out twice as the shows were so poor.

All in all a very disappointing holiday and one i would certainly not go on again,even if it was free.

halfwit

Sorry you had a bad time on the Indy, I have read thousands of reviews over the last 9mths since we booked to go on her in 2wks and have never come across such a negative review.

I have not sailed RCI before and cant wait to try the ship out. Even if it is how you describe it will still be a damn sight better than staying at home!!

You joined Cruise Critic in 2005 and understand neither the tipping protocol, boarding, nor muster drill procedures?

All I have to say is that Independence is one of my favorite ships. If you don't like her over in the U.K. feel free to send her home to the U.S.:)

Archived