March cruise upcoming late October knee replacement

merknerk

I am always amazed at what I find on the CC boards! I am having a hip replacement on Dec. 7th and my doctor assures me I will be fine when we leave for Florida on Feb. 9th to get there two days early for our Feb. 11th cruise. It is my understanding that a knee replacement is more difficult then a hip replacement so I am hoping that my doctor is giving me good information. I am not about to miss our cruise!!!!!

BeeBee,

While I have not had a hip replacement my husband has and I can give you information from his experience. The doctor would have let him go back to work 3 weeks after the surgery but his job was such that he was on his feet much of the day so he went back to work after 6 weeks. He seemed to do fine but as with knee replacement it is really important to do the PT. Onething that he finds a bit difficult now is sitting for long periods of time but he did fine last summer when we had a flight from BWI to London. A woman that I worked with came back after 3 weeks since she did not need to be on her feet all day.

Good luck!

Barb

Thank you for the information! It makes me feel better to hear that my doctor is giving me accurate information. I worry about being "lazy" when it comes to the PT so I have already told my husband that he's better be prepared to keep after me. Of course, having a cruise to look forward to should be good motivation!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I also had a right total knee replacement. I am also a nurse, my recovery took approx 4 months to really feel like I could move around and as others have said if you work hard in rehab you should be fine in March for your cruise. Just remember to take it easy and rest when you feel the need. Ice and Antiinflammatories will help with any swelling you might experience. Also, keep it elevated to help with the swelling post-op. Your own body will signal when you have had to much activity and should rest by the pool and be waited on. What a nice way to recover. Also rely on your walker and cane while on your cruise, this will help alleviate any fear you might have about falling.

Have a great cruise and a speedy recovery.

Many thanks to all of you for responding. I am looking forward to getting this over with and the cruise in March gives me something to look forward to. Thanks again to all the cruisers with new knees and new hips !!!

Speaking from my husbands knee replacement. He had his done in November 2010. We live up North. He wasnt about to be laid up in the summer/boating season. The best thing he did was go to the pool everyday. It was part of his rehab. He says the pain was minimal in

the water. Needless to say, he asked his dr if we could go to Fl in Feb. We drove, but he had to promise to stop every 3 hrs and walk. He is pain free now. Enjoy your cruise and just take it easy. If you have pain..stop and relax.

My wife had her knee replaced in September & we cruised with the doctor's blessing 6 weeks later. The key is the right mental attitude, & therapy, therapy, therapy. Do all they ask you to do, & don't cheat!

Good luck!!....& enjoy your cruise!

I have to agree... I didn't have it done But took care of my mother in law she had both knees done... ( she moved in with us) as she lives alone...

do you legg exercise faithfully before your surgery. That made a huge difference in my MIL recovery time (so the dr said) She could hardly walk prior to surgery.

But tell your Dr your plans and I am sure if all goes wells you will be in good shape. My MIL said she wished she had done this long before she did... Good luck to you.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the positive input I received from all of you on my first post. Surgery early tomorrow morning with visions of the cruise in March. I am so thankful for finding Cruise Critic ... and all the wonderful replies I received. Thanks again

Hi Merknerk,

I am sorry that I missed this post when you originally wrote it... but good to know I am not so late as to wish you ALL THE BEST tomorrow.

Do come back to the Forum and tell us how it goes... we'll be cheering for a speedy (painfree) recovery.

Cheers!

Hi Everyone

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the positive input I received from all of you on my first post. Surgery early tomorrow morning with visions of the cruise in March. I am so thankful for finding Cruise Critic ... and all the wonderful replies I received. Thanks again

Best of luck with the surgery, recovery and physio. Don't be shy with the pain medication, just be careful if you start to feel nauseous.

Try 1 cup alcohol and 3 cups water in a gallon foodsaver "sealed" bag. I still have mine from surgery 4 years ago and I make them for all my friends who have had surgery. They stay cold for a VERY LONG time and go right back in the freezer. I wish I had them when my kids were little- we seemed to always need ice packs for something!

I am sure the surgery will go fine- you will be amazed at how good your knee feels. The first time you stand up will tell you that you did the right thing! Do the rehab!!! I cried through many sessions, but I knew it would pay off in the end- and it did!

March will be here before you know it!

I was in a very similar situation. I am booked for a late Nov

cruise. My knee(s) became so bad that I couldn't take the dog

out in the back yard without stopping once or twice because of the pain and my knees locking up. I was "bone

on bone" in both knees. Although I had been getting cortisone

injections 3 or 4 times a year, I knew I had reached the end. I scheduled, and had, knee replacement on my left knee on Sept

6th. I am not going to lie to you. I was very apprehensive. The surgery was not nearly as bad as I imagined, but the rehab was.

I was out of the hospital in two days, faithfully did the rehab for

about a month and a week, and my knee feels great. I can walk

without any pain in my left knee, and surprisingly, my right knee also feels better.

I didn't mean to run on like did about the surgery, but the answer

to your question is that I am much more ready to take a cruise now than I was two months ago. You have plenty of time for rehab

if you put in the work......and just keep telling yourself that it's one

tough month that will yield a lot less pain.

Go for It!

I had knee replacement surgery on January 31 and went on a cruise on May 5, 2011. My Physical Therapist told me to take a collapsible cane. I didn't think I would need this but it came in very handy when I got tired. I paced myself, sat down often while walking. The hardest part was walking on cobblestones (lots of those in Europe) and walking downhill. My doctor told me that if I had pain or swelling after being on my feet all day that it was due to my over-exercising. However, he said this would not cause any permanent damage. I just had to take pain medication at night. Good luck and have fun!

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

The surgery went very well. I am into my 4th week in rehab. I am getting excited for the cruise in March. The rehab can be tough at times but I am determined to get as much movement back that I can , I am also doing therapy at home. Many thanks to all of you for your replies and encouraging words. Yeah Cruise Critic !!!

Archived