NYC--terror threat!

Swaggy

First cruise! First time driving to NYC and sailing to Bermuda. Am worried that bridges/ tunnels will be blocked, closed because of Sept 11. Should NOT have booked this week-end!!!:eek:

I can tell you right now that the cops are thick all over the area. They are checking vehicles very closely and are pulling over quite a few for intense inspection.

I own a logistics company with an office in the Bronx. EVERY driver (my little straight trucks as well as my big semis running down 95 across the GW and coming off the Island) has called in and said traffic is backed up at the bridges and tunnels. Little trucks through the tunnels and big trucks over the GW. Inbound NYC is worse than outbound to NJ.

I would definitely leave PLENTY of time (like tomorrow morning). And I would NOT try to get to the NYC port via the Henry Hudson Parkway and GW bridge.

Don't know where you are coming from but there are a few alternate routes into the City that will be better than the tunnels or GW-Verranzano/Williamsburg from the South/West and Throgs Neck/495/ 59th St or Williamsburg from the North.

Good luck!!!

They will not block the tunnels or bridges, however there might be significant delays getting over/through them as vehicles are inspected. Leave extra HOURS to get through, and the advice to use an alternate route is good.

If you are coming from NJ, I'd take the Outer Bridge Crossing to get into the boroughs. It's seldom backed up even during the thick of rush hour, and lightly used on weekends.

They will not block the tunnels or bridges, however there might be significant delays getting over/through them as vehicles are inspected. Leave extra HOURS to get through, and the advice to use an alternate route is good.

If you are coming from NJ, I'd take the Outer Bridge Crossing to get into the boroughs. It's seldom backed up even during the thick of rush hour, and lightly used on weekends.

Outerbridge is very ofter very backed up! Live in the area!

Outerbridge is very ofter very backed up! Live in the area!

I lived there for 12 years and still own property there. It was always a lot faster than the other bridges/tunnels, and traffic on the weekends or midday was never a problem. I just went over it a month or so ago around 9:30 am on a Wednesday, almost no traffic, let alone a back up.

Archived