snorkel equipment

I agree. Or if you want some better stuff, do some web searching - there are some great deals out there - and, if you wear glasses, think about getting a prescription mask - I think I paid about $60 off the web and it makes a world of difference!

Check your local yellow pages, there is probably a scuba shop near you where you can at least purchase a dry snorkel for less than $20.00. Then you know who has had it in their mouth - YOU.

I got mine at a sporting goods shop like Dick's or Galayns. SportMart is pretty affordable, too. You'd be surprised, but check WalMart, Meijer's and places like that. Many seem to be jumping on the snorkel bandwagon as well!

Pretty much any snorkel shore excursion you take (as well as CocoCay) offers rentals, just don't expect much by way of quality and cleanliness...

No, you cannot rent on-board. You can purchase cheap (quality) equipment at exhorbitant prices on-board or you can rent wherever you are going snorkelling (provided you are doing so on a heavy touristy place). We have owned our own equipment for several years now and I find that it is well worth the luggage space to bring our own. Our gear always fits right and works better (we have the snorkels with the backflow device to prevent wash from coming back down the snorkel pipe). Until last month, I have just rented fins, but I'm tired of getting a case of athlete's foot from rented fins which has happened a good half dozen times...so I'm going to be looking at purchasing fins before our next vacation to somewhere where I'll be snorkelling.

With the concern some people have about the combs, etc used for hair, I can't imagine putting a snorkel into my mouth that has been in hundreds of mouths before. And I also can't imagine trusting the water they use to soak the gear when down in Central America (even with the cleaning agents in it). That' s just me...for less than $100 I don't have to worry about this...

We take one extra suitcase that holds all our "junk". Bathroom stuff, extra duffle bag (for more junk we "adopt" to come home with us :rolleyes: ), shoes, picnic back pack, plus our fins, snorkels, and masks. We know the snorkel equipment will fit, is clean, and we enjoy avoiding overpriced rental fees. We have taken them on board ships for years.

Found most of our stuff at Sports Authority on sale.

Have a great cruise! :)

Cheers!

Archived