Carnival Freedom 8 Day Western Review with Photos August 27, 2011

C Cruise Dude

The second part of the Portobelo excursion (actually we started there) was the God Church San Juan. Internet references were the Church of the Black Christ. This is because of the statue of the Black Christ within. According to the guide, people have prayed to the shrine and miracles have occurred. Their is a pilgrimage to the shrine every year. The history was very interesting. I will post some to Youtube as soon as I can edit it.

DSCF3351.jpg

DSCF3360.jpg

DSCF3358.jpg

DSCF3364.jpg

Vestment for the statue - Only worn twice

DSCF3356.jpg

DSCF3353.jpg

It rains in Panama every day of the year according to our guide. We got a rain fall while returning to the ship. Traffic there, like Costa Rica, was very bad so think twice about booking tours on your own. The Freedom was about an hour and a half late leaving waiting for two buses to return. I spoke with a passenger who was on one of those buses and she said that heavy traffic was the culprit.

Speaking of excursions, I booked mine on the TV in my cabin. The lines at guest services were the worst and I assumed that it would be the same at the excursion desk. It was easy to sort through the excursions, purchase and they sent the tickets to your cabin.

DSCF3181.jpg

I shared my cabin with Ralph here and a few other friends throughout the week.

The design work of the this ship was fantastic! The detail in the Atrium and the MDR was great. Chic had some of the best service that I have received at sea. I was concerned that I would loose that special something that you have with the same waiter each night but the Karina, Dante and Anne were the best.

DSCF3122-1.jpg

DSCF3180.jpg

Look at the beautiful design and how it comes together.

VID0003300001-19.jpg

This statue was at the stairs for the Fish & Chips and I didn't notice it there for a couple days.

The second elegant night, I didn’t learn my lesson and was in line ironing a shirt again. If I had thought about it a day or two earlier I would have sent it to the laundry service. Oh well. Overall it was one of my best cruises. Definitely try the blue margaritas. There is another review of the Freedom on CC that mentions the "Secret Door". I wish that I had read that review. It was the key to my view of the forward area of the ship. I will be on the Valor soon and will look for a secret door there. Take a dare with the menus selection and have a great cruise.

DSCF3393.jpg

One last shot!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, could you please list the name of your hotel?

He mentions that it is the Crowne Plaza. It is available through lastminutetravel on your cruise date. I just did a quick search on the date in your countdown clock and it came up for $75 plus tax. Just put in Ft Lauderdale, then check the box for Ft Lauderdale hollywood Airport, scroll down to 4*, hover your mouse over the "photos" and check the java script at the very bottom of your screen. You should see right after the word popup the numbers 1223544, that is the Crowne. I learned this method of identifying the hotel here on CC. Now back our regular scheduled programming. Loving this review!

• 2 weeks later...
What was the name of the hotel that you stayed at?

Thanks

The hotel was Crown Plaza. I booked it through one of the popular sights that give you a price but does not disclose the hotel until you pay.

He mentions that it is the Crowne Plaza. It is available through lastminutetravel on your cruise date. I just did a quick search on the date in your countdown clock and it came up for $75 plus tax. Just put in Ft Lauderdale, then check the box for Ft Lauderdale hollywood Airport, scroll down to 4*, hover your mouse over the "photos" and check the java script at the very bottom of your screen. You should see right after the word popup the numbers 1223544, that is the Crowne. I learned this method of identifying the hotel here on CC. Now back our regular scheduled programming. Loving this review!

Thanks, cruisejunkie.

Excellent quality shots, I was wondering, what kind of camera did you use ?

Thank you, Southbayer. I used a Fuji F5000. Actually, I find the camera frustrating because it is difficult to get focus (it has auto focus) in soft light (MDR). I took my old Pentax K1000 with me but the photos didn't come out too well. I think the xray machine got to some of the film and it was not Fuji Film. Some of the pictures, snorkel and some of the locks are stills from a Flip HD Ultra with underwater case.

Archived