Is there a shuttle in Venice?

Railer

No shuttle, at least not on 28 August when we boarded Queen Victoria. We took a cab from Piazzale Roma to the ship for EUR20, which is outrageous (but so is walking with luggage in 90 degree heat). If you stay in the San Marco area, there is an Alilaguna boat which goes to the cruise terminal, but not necessarily to your ship's dock.

The People Mover did not seem to be a great option for us. We stayed at the Santa Chiara, at the northeast corner of Piazzale Roma next to the dock for the number 1 and 2 vaporettos, and the People Mover terminal was more or less diagonally across the square. The square itself is basically a bus terminal, and can be challenging to navigate because you constantly need to be on the lookout to dodge moving coaches.

I boarded the QV on 28 August, having stayed at BW Olimpia hotel, which is right at Piazzale Roma. It was about a 150 metre walk to the people mover, and as stated previously, 1 euro per person. Exiting the people mover, it was a long walk to the QV pier, which was at pier 117 if I remember correctly. It took 10 - 15 minutes to walk from the people mover to the check in building, and in the sun at about 30 degrees C, my shirt was soaked by the time I got to the building. I had just a backpack and a personal bag, so not so bad for me, but if you have a lot of luggage, you need to find some other way to get to the check in building.

I would guess about 150

When we docked on the QV in early August it was about 500m from the ship to the People Mover (one stop to Pl de Roma) then about 150m to the Water Bus stop. However there was also a very poorly advertised shuttle bus from the ship to Tronchetto to connect with the Water Bus system but this was restricted to those who were unable to walk to the People Mover - Cunard obviously did not want lots of people to use this !!

There was also a $20 'Cunard' water boat shuttle to St Marks Sq which ran all day and was about 50m from the ship

Edited by petez

Thank you, Petez. That helps a lot with our planning. I have found a guide on the internet, which may help people wanting to travel to/from P.Roma. I think that if you google Toms Port guides venice you should find it.

Edited by hermioneb

Other threads talk of free shuttles from Pizzale Roma to the port by some cruise lines. I'm wondering if Cunard has a shuttle and if they do, how much does it cost?

Russ

Russ, I sent an e-mail to Cunard asking this very question. Their answer was that a shuttle from Cunard would run from Stazione Marittima to Piazzale Roma. To get to Piazzale Roma take Vaporetto line #1 then look for the complimentary shuttle bus to the Cruise Ship Terminal. Hope this helps.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have just got off the QV at Venice. There was the option of a Cunard chartered water shuttle at $20 for unlimited number of trips from the ship to St Marks Square over the 1.5 days we were in Venice. Alternatively, there was the Aliluganas boats for 7 euros one way to St Marks Sq or 13 return, which worked out cheaper if you only intend to go into Venice once, which a lot of people seem to do as we did not get in to Venice until after midday and then most people had early flights the next day.

I was glad I chose the Aliluganas option as there was a long queue for the Cunard shuttle but walked straight onto the Ailiuganas boat.

Tickets have to be bought in advance for the Cunard option but the Aliluganas tickets are bought at a booth just before you get on the boat. There is also the option of an all day unlimited trip ticket for 26 euros, which can be used to go out to the other islands.

Both were about 3 mins walk from the ship but it depends on what berth the ship is on. I think the maximum would be about 8 mins walk.

Hope this info is of some use.

• 2 years later...
You can walk

Gets rid of all those extra calories :)

And this is an interesting option too. We had an afternoon and morning in Venice when on QE on November; first day we walked (via the People Mover) from Piazzale Roma to St Mark's and got a water bus back, day two we water bussed in and walked back a different route.

There are signs both official and unofficial at regular intervals pointing out the way to S. Marco and Rialto, and to P. Roma for the return, so just wandering about the smaller canals and passages was pretty easy to do without feeling we were getting lost, and you do stumble upon some little-known sights away from the main drag.

Edited by Sekhmet

Nearly 3 years ago I was on a cruise that had one day in Venice. We found that there was a 'crew bus' that went from the dock to Pzle Roma. It was quite full with passengers. My next cruise began in Rome. I got the regular transfer from the airport to the ship. I arrived in the morning. I wanted to spend a few hours in Venice so I looked around for the crew bus and could not see it. (We were at a different dock.) I asked and was told there was no bus. I would have to pay the $20 for the Cunard shuttle or take the people mover. From what I could see, the people mover was a bit of a walk, so I got the Cunard shuttle.

On my first cruise, about 5 years ago, we had been staying in Venice for 3 days prior to the cruise. We asked 7 locals how to get to Stazzione Maritimma and must have got 8 different answers, all of them wrong! In the end we used our 3-day waterbus ticket to get us to Ple Roma (where we'd been told by someone that there'd be a shuttle bus - but we could not find it) and then got a taxi for 12 euros to the port. That worked well.

We were back in Venice last August and I checked out the Alilaguna and was all set to go that way from San Marco. However, my friends decided we'd take a water taxi instead! That took us from the door of our hotel straight to the dock. We then needed to find out where to drop our bags for the cruise.