Boston Hotels

referee

It looks like you're cruising in Sept 2012. Unfortunately, it's a bit early to make a final decision on a hotel. Typically we recommend watching Hotwire for your dates but there is nothing yet on Hotwire for Sept 2012. The Sheraton Back Bay is often listed as a 3.5* Back Bay hotel in the $100-$150 range - currently it's the only 3.5* hotel for Hotwire Back Bay. This would be a great deal for staying several days before a cruise.

The Westin Convention Center often shows up as a 4* Waterfront hotel. This hotel would be close to the pier and 1 block from the "T" to downtown.

Take a look at Boston prices for this fall so you will appreciate a good Hotwire deal.

I'd advise monitoring Hotwire between now and February to see what comes up. If you see a good deal be prepared to book it. If you are uncomfortable booking a non-refundable hotel, Hotwire now has a feature whereby you can insure your purchase.

Hi again,

I posted on this board a few weeks ago, about looking for a hotel in Boston for night before our cruise in September (leaving Sept 30) and got some advice from posters here, but then my sister's health took a bit of a bad turn and the cruise seemed doubtful, so I never followed up with making a reservation. Now things are back on track and so I am once again looking for recommendations. I have found a 4 star waterfront/convention area which I am guessing from 138east's previous comments is likely to be the Westin, at $199 .

I am also wondering though, since we are driving in and will drive to the port if it might be more economical and just as easy to stay somewhere in the outskirts of Boston and just drive into the terminal on the day of the cruise. If so, could anyone recommend a hotel or even an area that might be suitable?

If you follow the method for making a LNF lowest rate claim with Marriott that I describe in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1469198, you can get the Marriott Copley Place for $155, or the Renaissance Boston Waterfront for $195. However, if you're driving, I agree that you are better staying somewhere a bit outside the city. Recommendations on where would depend on what direction you're coming from.

If you're driving in and paying to park at the port, I see no reason to pay for an expensive downtown hotel + an extra $30+ to park your car. You also have to get off I90 and drive through local streets to find the hotel and then find the port the next morning. What you save on the hotel will almost pay for your parking.

We looked at this before - Hotwire still has the 4* hotel in Waltham for $97 for 9/29. This would be the Westin - it's right on route 128/I95 at exit 27 - just 3 exits north of I90 (about 5 min) and it's a very nice hotel. If you wait until after 10 am the next morning, you can get back on I90 and drive straight in to the South Boston exit which is several blocks from the port. IMO a much easier trip without local Boston streets.

I have a couple questions for 138east, since you seem very knowledgable about Hotwire. We are traveling in September of 2012 and I have noted all the advice you've given so far, what I'm wondering is how far in advance do people typically book with Hotwire? You say to monitor prices between now and February, is that typically a good window of opportunity with Hotwire? I'm also wondering how you know what the hotels are? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

There is a web site betterbidding.com that shows for each state, Hotwire area, and amenities what hotels have been "won". It's also good for Priceline. For giving advice on these forums I prefer Hotwire because it lists the hotel amenities and you can match them to betterbidding. Hotwire also now has a feature whereby you can insure your trip. A lot of folks don't like to prepay a noncancellable hotel - this new insurance feature is particularly good for cruisers who aren't going to cancel unless there is a real emergency.

I'm best with Boston, but I also watch Newark Airport and New York. I just stayed 5 days in a "Hotwire" hotel in Oregon that was terrific and I saved 40+% - I got exactly what I thought I would get. The same Boston hotels are on Hotwire all the time - they are easily identifiable so the risk of recommending them is low. I've also stayed in 10+ Boston hotels over the years. Some I liked better than others, but the reality is that a 3* or 4* hotel is not a dump - if you get a good price, take it. Boston in the fall can be tough because of all the college activities on the weekends. The college schedules aren't finalized until the spring, so watching between now and February is good. I know it's hard to wait - you just want to settle it now, but be patient and post back if you see something.

If you're driving in and paying to park at the port, I see no reason to pay for an expensive downtown hotel + an extra $30+ to park your car. You also have to get off I90 and drive through local streets to find the hotel and then find the port the next morning. What you save on the hotel will almost pay for your parking.

We looked at this before - Hotwire still has the 4* hotel in Waltham for $97 for 9/29. This would be the Westin - it's right on route 128/I95 at exit 27 - just 3 exits north of I90 (about 5 min) and it's a very nice hotel. If you wait until after 10 am the next morning, you can get back on I90 and drive straight in to the South Boston exit which is several blocks from the port. IMO a much easier trip without local Boston streets.

Thanks so much I'll look into this when I get home tonight. I really appreciate all the help.

It is a good deal. I was reading more about the hotel and found that they charge for parking. I'm sorry, but I didn't know that.

As you drive north on route 128 you will see the hotel - it's enormous and is all bluish glass. If you don't want to eat in the hotel, the Naked Fish is close by. There are a ton of eating options in downtown Waltham - Moody St. is all interesting restaurants.

We like to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Saugus MA & be shuttled into the airport. We have a trip coming up & I see on travelocity they have a mystery hotel for $74 in Saugus. Has anyone booked that & if so what hotel did you get. It says shuttle but it don't say where to. I believe they are the only one in Saugus with an airport shuttle. Thanks for any help.

Try the Four Points Sheraton in Revere, MA. It's actually a few miles down the road from the airport. Right off of Rt one. Down the street from the Holiday Express in Saugus. The Four Points is right next to a shopping plaza. Within the hotel is a teppenyaki (sp?) restaurant. A Pizzaria Uno's within a stones throw. In the shopping center is everything you may need while traveling. A movie theater within driving distance. Plus ask about their specials for leaving your car there while on your cruise. They'll include it in your price for your room. They also have transportation to the "T" The blue line Wonderland stop. You can also get bus transport at the shopping center. You can also get their shuttle to area restaurants, and probably the cruise port. I don't know if they charge for that. If you still want to drive and park at the port it's an easy drive down rt 1. Or you can drive the few miles back to the airport and take the tunnel which spits you out pretty much right to the ship. And no I don't work for the hotel. :) Just a cruise fanatic that "used" to work in the travel industry. And I live in this area. The Holiday Inn Express in Saugus is in a good, but busy location. If you don't mind driving to the area restaurants. I wouldn't call Rt 1 the safest road to walk, although there are sidewalks and people do walk. If you like all types of Asian foods try Kowloon's on Rt 1 North. You can't miss it. Also the food at the Hilltop Steakhouse is decent at a reasonable price. Not as good I hear when it was family owned, but I still like it. Oh, don't forget Kelly's famous roast beef, and seafood, a short distance before the hotel. And of course there are tons of chains. Nearby is multiple grocery stores, and a mall down the street. Keep in mind that they will be building a Wal-mart across the street soon. but that's over six lanes of traffic. If you can handle the traffic, I imagine you can handle the construction. They've just gotten the go-ahead for it so I would think they would be still building next fall. I have no info on the hotel's transportation services. You can get a bus from the mall which is about a quarter mile away at the most. This will take you to the "T" stop Malden on the yellow line. Just make sure if you park at the mall: keep your gps, or anything like that hidden. Actually that's the case anywhere. Otherwise your car should be safe left anywhere.

I just checked the Four Points. They are $169 per night with up to 10 days of parking. $189 per night up to 14 nights parking. Not sure if the parking times include the time you're at the hotel. Code LPark. So factor in how much it would cost to park at the port and how much you want to spend on a hotel and see if it works for you.

tweety33 - could you give us more details? What exact date are you doing this? Are you just leaving your car somewhere in Saugus? If so, for how long. I looked around and there doesn't seem to be a lot of identification of the "mystery" hotels.

We are traveling the end of March, coming down from North, Holiday Inn express is on our way. We get shuttled to the airport, leave our car for a week, and never have to venture our own driving into the airport or the hassle of parking & shuttle to the terminals. Plus its a lot cheaper to stay at the hotel then to pay the airport parking. I found a good deal, a bit higher than last year but still only$136 for park/fly/shuttle package. I just wish I knew for sure if the mystery hotel for $74 was the Holiday Inn express, saugus. I don't dare chance it.

Thanks

Even if the mystery hotel were the Holiday Inn, you would just be buying the room and not the parking. I'm seeing the HI on stay123.com at the end of March for $145 incl tax. with 14 days parking. Don't know if it's the same price for your particular date, but you might want to check it out.

Archived