Just off the Marina and Regatta - a comparison

Benita

We did the Fairsky to Alaska in 1984. Our first cruise north out of SF. Had an inside cabin...same size as a with a port hole...which didn't open.

Then you were on TSS Fairsky a few months before us. We had done a ship visit (remember when anyone could do those? Almost as much fun as cruising; there were a lot of ships that passed through San Francisco in those days and we would plan our day around the visits) and we liked the ship so much we booked our first cruise ever round trip Los Angeles to Mexico for that autumn.

Do you remember the huge, really warm, indoor spa-pool? One evening a bunch of us strangers got in and started singing in the pool. Of course, we all sounded great because of the walls....like singing in the shower at home. :) :D

Fairsky also had separate dry saunas for men and women which were great for warming your muscles, especially just prior to a massage.

Not that I'll ever know from personal experience, but I would imagine that guests in an Owner's Suite are allowed to eat in the specialty restaurants as many times as they would like.

They can also order off any of the specialty restaurant menus for room service as often as they'd like.

[sigh...:rolleyes:]

Randy

I think they are smaller ....sq footage wise in the regular cabins the PH cabin they looked a bit bigger

Darn I forgot to take my tape measure on the trip;)

Hope you had a great trip this summer

Lyn

It was awesome, thanks for asking. I highly recommend O's Black Sea itinerary if you'd like to try something different from a typical Mediterranean itinerary. We really enjoyed it.

in the Owners Suite. Do they just allow you two times in each restaurant as they did on the Regatta.

Our experience on Regatta and the other R ships is that we were asked by our butler almost every day if we wanted to go to the specialty restaurants. We also got calls from the front desk to ask.. and Yes you can order from any of the ship's menus if your in an OS.:D

If you never sailed on Sitmar, you're in no position to compare. Granted there were bunks, and they weren't bad at all. The rest of the experience was unparalleled. Best pizza ever with great red wine that one could chew. Italian officers & Italian and Portuguese crew. That was something no other cruise line will ever be able to duplicate.

Don't forget Italian Line--service out of a dream. (I picked my screen name for a reason...)

Wow. My son and I sailed the Leonardo Da Vinci from Lisbon to NY in '66. The cabin was a bit smaller than my "walk in" closet and had 4 bunks. That was it, 4 bunks. Nothing else. Bottom line - it was cheap and got us where we were going (home).

Sorry to go off topic but .......

Wow. My son and I sailed the Leonardo Da Vinci from Lisbon to NY in '66. The cabin was a bit smaller than my "walk in" closet and had 4 bunks. That was it, 4 bunks. Nothing else. Bottom line - it was cheap and got us where we were going (home).

Sorry to go off topic but .......

164534.jpg Be fair, there was a closet too! And a lovely, huge bathroom.......

............ just down the hall.

165158.jpg

Those old Italian liners were built for style and speed. There wasn't much luxe unless you sprang for first class. :rolleyes:

Ah, the good ol' days, when cruise ships were invariably filled with the smell of cigarette smoke, lacked stabilizers, generally had tiny twin or bunk beds, had no spas, had usually mediocre at best coffee and no espresso, etc...

Archived