on board medical charges

hmer23

Just adding my two cents. While cruising Europe one of my kids developed strep throat (yes, I knew having seen it over the years many times). I was heading down to the ship's doctor when my husband reminded me that you can get some antibiotics over the counter in Italy and Spain. He was stationed in Europe while in the Army. Well we found a pharmacy and low and behold we bought some amoxicillan. I think it was about $3. The pharmacist also doubled checked my diagnosis. Never had a problem from that point on.

I don't recommend this for every illness but it sure saved us a lot of money.

Kate

Just adding my two cents. While cruising Europe one of my kids developed strep throat (yes, I knew having seen it over the years many times). I was heading down to the ship's doctor when my husband reminded me that you can get some antibiotics over the counter in Italy and Spain. He was stationed in Europe while in the Army. Well we found a pharmacy and low and behold we bought some amoxicillan. I think it was about $3. The pharmacist also doubled checked my diagnosis. Never had a problem from that point on.

I don't recommend this for every illness but it sure saved us a lot of money.

Kate

When did pharmacists obtain licenses to diagnose?

My first suggestion is that you learn the proper sterile procedure for changing the dressings. After a surgery I had several years ago the nurse showed my wife how to change the dressing. Just bring gloves and all the necessary supplies to do it. Bring small plastic bags to dispose of the old dressings also.

The cost of treatment is based on levels. Level 1, will cost you between $75.00 and $100.00. That will really add up over the the cruise. My wife had the unfortunate situations that necessitated using there medical services. Aside from a 1 1/2 hour wait, the cost was $100.00.

My best advice is to learn how to do the dressing changes or be prepared to be charged up to $700.00 or more for them to do it during the cruise.:(

You could say the same thing about a hospital.;)

Oh so true! Which is why as a Case Manager for a large insurance company I work diligently to get folks out of the hospital to home with home health care, wound therapy, etc coming to them. And then I strongly encourage them to avoid highly populated areas in small spaces until they no longer have an open source for infection to settle such as a wound, portacath, etc. Why risk it for a "vacation" that can be taken when you heal. Again, just my recommendation....

When did pharmacists obtain licenses to diagnose?

Ha, I don't know. When did I? LOL Apparently the pharmacist knew what she was talking about. She agreed with me that it was a strep infection. I would think if they can dispense antibiotics they would have to have some knowledge. Things are very different in Europe regarding meds. Whatever, we went on to have a wonderful cruise and it didn't cost a lot. It was $3 well spent.

Kate

Why risk it for a "vacation" that can be taken when you heal.

Because, unfortunately, some of us may not heal for years. As well-meaning as I am sure your remarks are, I do think each individual should decide him/herself what risks to take in order to have a fulfilling life.

Bill

My husband is convinced Mercurochrome (spelling a pure guess) is much better than Iodine. He says the cut heals faster and, of course, it doesn't "sting." You can't buy it in the US anymore. Something to do with mercury which my medical friends has told me is negligible. In order to get it approved for sale, a lot of tests would have to be done and it is not under a patent or something. The drug companies don't want to spend the money involved to get it approved when all the other drug companies would benefit from it.

Hence, he buys it when we are overseas.

Tucker in Texas

Archived