Air Deviation Questions

katz

We just completed our air diviation reservations. Once you approve the flights O suggests, you are locked into the $125 fee and any upcharge.

I worked with Susan and she was very accommodating. I researched the flights I liked and gave the information to her. She took our mile numbers and seat requests. She also gave me the confirmation numbers so that I could check the flights and seats on the airline's website.

Just make sure that when they do come back with reservations, that you go over them completely, making sure that all the information is correct. On our first try, they made a mistake and gave us a layover that was only 45 minutes long, which they changed when I pointed it out.

This is our first time using O air, and so far so good!

One of my Cincinnati friends just provided me with a brochure from her university for the mid-August Black Sea cruise on Regatta, which happens to be the cruise before the one we plan to take (Istanbul to Lisbon) that only was added by Oceania and publicized with the USA-fall foliage cruises added when they changed Regatta's itineraries for fall 2012.

Anyway, the pricing was the same, except more airports were included in the "free" airfare price, including mine in Cincinnati. This is bugging me right now because for my cruise, only the normal airports are included, so I must pay $398 extra to fly from Cincinnati, not an included airport, before the now $250 more for deviation. We never have used Oceania air, but plan to look into it in a couple of months.

So apparently university cruises indeed get better deals but in an unusual way.

So apparently university cruises indeed get better deals but in an unusual way.

Well yes, but if you are looking at a brochure that is customized with the name of the University, then it was a group deal.

It's not fair to compare that with an individual booking.

Well yes, but if you are looking at a brochure that is customized with the name of the University, then it was a group deal.

It's not fair to compare that with an individual booking.

True, my rational side understands that, but I still wish that my airport was included, when so many further west are. The closest one included is six hours away, my reward for living in flyover country! :)

Thank you rallydave and lht28 for the scoop on the $125 fee. Now another question...

How far out is reasonable to request a deviation? It seems that on most of my trips recently sometime after booking and before flying that one or more flight times are randomly changed or flights are cancelled and we are automatically rebooked on alternate flights. If that happens with O and you have paid for a deviation, do they consult you before reassigning you to alternate flights? Or are all dealings after booking the flight made directly with the airline?

Thank you rallydave and lht28 for the scoop on the $125 fee. Now another question...

How far out is reasonable to request a deviation? It seems that on most of my trips recently sometime after booking and before flying that one or more flight times are randomly changed or flights are cancelled and we are automatically rebooked on alternate flights. If that happens with O and you have paid for a deviation, do they consult you before reassigning you to alternate flights? Or are all dealings after booking the flight made directly with the airline?

As far as I know, Oceania/Regent is out of the picture as far a flights changing once they issue the ticket. In you have a ticket on a given flight and there are changes/cancellations, they are handled by the airline directly with you. I am on a cruise line purchased right now and when I looked at the airline flight schedule, one of my flights had a change in equipment, minimal time difference but, was notified by the airline and not the cruise line.

Would only be concerned if say a connection became too long or too short and there were no alternative flights the arrival or departure conflicted with the cruise or say the departure was delayed such that the cruise departure was missed. The odds of any of these issues is so small, that I wouldn't worry but, I would contact the airline first as it is easier to work direct with them than going thru a TA as well as cruise air. As a last resort, pretty sure if the change was substantial and out of my control, Oceania/Regent would work something out without another deviation fee.

Sorry, don't have a pat answer as each situation is different but, am confident things could be worked out without further cost.

Archived