bring dive knife on ship

you have to turn it into security, you can then check it out when you go ashore then check it back in when you return to the ship

note that organized dives in many Carib' locations have banned knives just as they have the use of gloves, as a reef protection issue.

There really isn't need of a knife - the greatest 'fear' is getting caught in old fish line and you CAN carry a small pair of sissors to deal with that. In 40 years of diving I've used my knife for two things: to bang on the tank to get someone's attention and to open a beer on the boat when the tab pulled off.

leave it at home . . . security saw my little swiss army knife on scanning, with a blade less than one inch, and made me get rid of it before boarding....

I've had no problem with bringing on my dive tool, which has a three-inch blade. The scabbard is riveted to the bc.

On my last cruise, I bought a large dive knife in Belize and let security know that I had it as I came through. They took it and on the last day of the cruise I got it back at the front desk. It really surprised me that they let me carry this seven-inch-long blade megaknife through the ship to my cabin. I even asked the security guy if he wanted to accompany me. I guess I don't look dangerous....little do they know. LOL

I agree leave it at home. I took mine on Carnival and turned it in to security. The downside was that my sign and sail got flagged and so when they stuck it in the machine, instead of the pleasant little "ding", Mine set off an awful tone to get them to check with me and make sure I did not have it. It was AWFUL!!! Go with the scissors!

• 2 weeks later...

My BC knife goes everywhere. When flying, I put it in a checked bag (my gear is in my carry-on). When carrying it back and forth from the dives, and confronted by Princess security at the pier, they knew it was a dive knife and let me pass without incident every time. It's a blunt tip, short blade. That may have something to do with it.

Archived