Your thoughts on B+W filters?

Looking at filters, your thoughts on B+W please.

You can't go wrong, and it's my choice of filters. I don't know what lenses you shoot with but if you add a filter to them it needs to be a quality one, because a cheap filter will defeat the purpose of a nice lens.

You can't go wrong, and it's my choice of filters. I don't know what lenses you shoot with but if you add a filter to them it needs to be a quality one, because a cheap filter will defeat the purpose of a nice lens.

Thank you for replying. I'm thinking of the Nikon d7000 for my first DSLR and the kit lens that comes with it is what the filter will be for.

I was thinking of the B+W UV Haze (??? or something like that) I'm going on a cruise in a few weeks, and I'm probably the only person on this board that feels this way, but I don't care too much for the photos that show a BLUE sky that looks so deep BLUE that (I) instantly think it was photoshopped. Don't get me wrong, I love a blue sky, but not to the point that it looks fake.

I do want a filter to protect my lens, and one that will help with the haze, but I don't think I want the filter to make my pictures look like they were all done on a computer. In fact, I really don't ever touch up any photos. I think that's the fun (challenge) to get the picture, not for the computer to do all the work. Any suggestions on a filter type???

Have to agree with mnbruce...top notch filters.

I'm personally not a fan of putting too many layers of glass between the subject and the sensor, but If I need to protect the front element in harsh conditions, using a quality filter with good coatings reduces the degrading effect and won't introduce any additional flare.

Another quality line to consider besides B&W and Heliopan is Hoya's HD series. They use a hardened optical glass with water-repellent coatings that make them easy to keep clean. Their polarizer uses a new type of film that transmits 25% more light than their standard line. Hoya has always been a good low-cost alternative for filters and this new HD line puts them near the top when it comes to quality offerings (sadly, in price as well ;)).

Have to agree with mnbruce...top notch filters.

I'm personally not a fan of putting too many layers of glass between the subject and the sensor, but If I need to protect the front element in harsh conditions, using a quality filter with good coatings reduces the degrading effect and won't introduce any additional flare.

I agree here. Other than the UV filter, I don't use many filters these days.

Archived