tipping for room service

britannia56

in the morning, before we venture from our stateroom, my husband and i like to savor a leisurely cup or two of coffee. if we order a carafe of coffee from room service, is a tip required? if yes, is it given in cash or written on a charge slip as for alcoholic beverage service?

is there a different procedure in the princesss grill accomodation?:p

in the morning, before we venture from our stateroom, my husband and i like to savor a leisurely cup or two of coffee. if we order a carafe of coffee from room service, is a tip required? if yes, is it given in cash or written on a charge slip as for alcoholic beverage service?

No Tip required for room service.

I'm afraid that I too can't venture out of my cabin (bed:)) without a cup of coffee either - but until Cunard recognise that us brits like tea/coffee making facilities in our cabins I consider that any room service is included in the price and I won't tip extra for this.

That doesn't mean to say of course that at the end of our trip excellent service by our cabin steward won't get additionally rewarded (on top of the usual hotel charge that is......)

I think the no electric kettle thing is a fire/insurance matter?

B.

Other cruise lines manage Tea/coffee making facilties - so I doubt it is just that mentioned above. I just find it difficult to decide the night before what time I want my wake up caffeine in the morning - especially on sea days when I might just like a lie in! May be it's a personal (and maybe British) thing but I pay enough for my cruise without having to tip on top of tipping already! Now then, if the hotelcharge wasn't there (which goes to ALL the staff) I might be minded to tip the person who brings my early morning cuppa! The debate goes on......:cool:

Room service is included in your trip. It's covered by your daily room charge($11/13day)

If you want to tip cash is the way as there is no slip to sign for room service (unless there are alcoholic beverages involved). When we order room service I always give the guy a couple of bucks. My suggestion is to do what you find comfortable.

Hi Classicruiser. I agree with you that cash is the best way to tip for room service, however I noticed both last December and July on QM2, there was a slip offered when room service was delivered - it showed zero charges, but allowed a space for tip. Perhaps passengers are more apt to give a gratuity if it is charged to their on board account (either because they have on board credits or no cash on hand when room service is delivered?)

It is my custom and practice to tip for room service, largely because I appreciate how hard the staff works. Perhaps more importantly, it makes me happy to acknowledge and encourage their good work. As you recommended, passengers should do what they feel comfortable, and hopefully they will incorporate the feelings, merits and needs of the staff :)

Regards,

Salacia

:)

I'm afraid that I too can't venture out of my cabin (bed:)) without a cup of coffee either - but until Cunard recognise that us brits like tea/coffee making facilities in our cabins I consider that any room service is included in the price and I won't tip extra for this.

That doesn't mean to say of course that at the end of our trip excellent service by our cabin steward won't get additionally rewarded (on top of the usual hotel charge that is......)

Hi Mysticalmother. Because you don't have tea/coffee making facilities in your cabin (where whould you put it?) you won't tip for room service. Do you really think that makes a impression on Cunard? I have no doubt it makes an impression on those who deliver your cuppa. And as has been previously stated, your cabin steward has naught to do with your room service.

However, I am respectful of your policy not to remove the Hotel and Dining Charge - to many that is quite generous, and I am sure it much appreciated by the staff. :)

Regards,

Salacia

:(the first time we were on the QM2 we ordered room service in the morning and the person who delivered the tray stood around waiting. fortunately, my travel companion, a former waitress, figured out that we'd better give him some money to make him go away.

all my previous experience with cunard was in the days when the cabin steward delivered drinks and snacks.

:)

Hi Mysticalmother. Because you don't have tea/coffee making facilities in your cabin (where whould you put it?) you won't tip for room service. Do you really think that makes a impression on Cunard? I have no doubt it makes an impression on those who deliver your cuppa. And as has been previously stated, your cabin steward has naught to do with your room service.

However, I am respectful of your policy not to remove the Hotel and Dining Charge - to many that is quite generous, and I am sure it much appreciated by the staff. :)

Regards,

Salacia

Hmm.....I think the home page on Cruise critic today is relevant here with it's debate on tipping - and the HUGE difference in attitudes on tipping between UK & USA customers. Let's just agree to differ shall we? Especially as USA (Cunard) customers seem to get much better deals than the UK on their fares and cncellation policies generally (another debate for another day!:D).

And by the way, as I haven't been on QM2 before how would I know who delivers my early morning cuppa.........? On both my previous Cunard cruises it was my cheery cabin steward.

The revolving door tip debate... :D Yes tipping is included in the daily charge per passenger and no its not required but...

Friends of mine on the same WV segment as myself this year aboard QE noticed the timing and quality of coffee/b-fast going downhill after a week. I suggested tipping a couple of $$ each time and lo-and-behold it became spot on for the remainder of the voyage.

Should this happen? No. Does it... yes. In the end it is up to you but it really smooths things over in the long run in my experience.

"...if the hotelcharge wasn't there (which goes to ALL the staff)..."

Actually, the service charge is divided amongst the hotel staff which is comprised of the waiters and cabin stewards (the folks that deliver room service are waiters). The bar staff are not included which is why a service charge is added to drinks. That service charge is shared amongst the bar tenders, lounge wait staff & sommeliers. The balance of the crew are salaried and are not factored in any of the service charges.

The revolving door tip debate... :D Yes tipping is included in the daily charge per passenger and no its not required but...

Friends of mine on the same WV segment as myself this year aboard QE noticed the timing and quality of coffee/b-fast going downhill after a week. I suggested tipping a couple of $$ each time and lo-and-behold it became spot on for the remainder of the voyage.

Should this happen? No. Does it... yes. In the end it is up to you but it really smooths things over in the long run in my experience.

Honestly, I don't think it makes much of a difference if you tip or not when it comes to room service delivery of your pre-ordered breakfast. Fill out the breakfast card, hang it on your door knob, and you will receive your breakfast as close as possible to the time you specified. Sometimes the staff is over-loaded with requested delivery times and sometimes the staff has been reduced or directed to other priorities, so breakfast might be earlier or later than requested - but most often is right on the buzzer.

If you call room service rather than pre-ordering your breakfast, you will be informed of the estimated time your breakfast will be delivered to your room.

Just my personal suggestion: tip if you appreciate the service, but don't expect better service just because you do so. -S

Always tip a few $, they will remember when room service is very busy! It is not required but it is a great gesture of appreciation. I always take about $150 in singles on a cruise and hand them out all over the ship when you recieve good service. When you think of all the $ you spend on a cruise what's a few bucks to brighten someones day and let them know they are appreciated. BTW cruise lines still only add 15% which is cheap anyway!:o

Room Service, if anything, is a part of the cost of the voyage, and the gratuities are either added or included in the fees. So ... it is quite clear that one has ALREADY TIPPED for room service. The room service people are not on board without a salary, and they get a portion of the paid gratuities. Tipping daily is something that shows . . . .

PARTIAL QUOTE

.... When you think of all the $ you spend on a cruise what's a few bucks to brighten someones day and let them know they are appreciated. ...

Shorebilly, very well put; I couldn't agree with you more. :) Regards, Salacia

Tipping is not a custom here in Australia and New Zealand. It does not mean that we never tip, but its not a daily thing. I appreciate that the staff may not be paid as much as they should. I will only tip if I have excellent service (unless I am in the states and then you feel you have to or else...) I agree that there is the compulsory tip on the bills.:D

Archived