Competetive TA website question

EGCruisers

Yes, I have transferred existing bookings through the TA selected via use of a competetive TA website. I do not, however, indicate at the front-end, but I do let them know when I first respond to quotes that it is an existing booking and how much OBCs I may already have through HAL. It has never been an issue.

There is a comment section where you can make a note that you have a booking directly with HAL and are looking at transferring it. There might be some "new bookings only" specials that the TA can offer that wouldn't apply if you already have a booking. Some people say to include the price you are paying and any perks in the comments section. I never have.

Talk about good timing...!

I'm about to transfer my booking from HAL (a PCC) and would have said everything up front. So, specific questions to make sure I understand:

Should I start just by asking for quotes?

When should I mention that I already have a booking?

When should I reveal the price I paid?

When should I mention that I have OBC and a comped PG dinner - these are due to some problems on the last cruise, not any kind of gift?

Any other guidelines would be immensely appreciated.

Generally, I'd put in the information about your cruise (ship, sail date, cabin type) with a comment that you have a booking w/ HAL then wait 2-3 days to get quotes. Review the quotes and decide what you think is best. Some offer free insurance, some lower prices, some OBC, etc.

Once you decide, call the TA and speak with them. Ask about price drops, cancellation policy, what happens if you have to change one of the passengers, change cabin types, etc. Some TAs will remove perks if there is a price drop and some will not allow any price drops. Some TAs have cancellation or change fees. If you don't like the policies, talk to another TA. You have to decide - is an extra $100 OBC worth it if the TA charges $25 for every change. Another TA may not charge for changes but gives a lower OBC amount.

I wouldn't mention the HAL price - the TA probably already knows it. If s/he asks then I would tell them the price. You should mention the OBC and PG before you transfer the booking. It shouldn't affect the TA pricing, but it will let the TA know to look for those items on the booking confirmation when it is transferred over.

You will have to fill out a form and fax it to HAL to transfer your booking. It will ask for your booking number, passenger names, ship, sail date, and the new TA information. It takes a day or two after you fax the transfer form for the TA to access your booking.

When you decide to transfer your booking, make sure to ask the TA for a written confirmation. Double check that your names, cabin, saill date, etc. are all correct. If you have any TA perks, make sure you get those listed in writing.

Archived