1st timer NCL Sea/ Carnival Ecstasy

scottsins

Hello board:

My parents just gave my wife and I a "certificate" for $1000 worth of cruising, for my law school graduation present. To make a long story short, due to complex scheduling issues, we were faced with the choice of the 5 night carnival cruise out of Galveston of the Norwegian Sea 7 night cruise out of galveston.

the NCL was about 122 and the Carnival cruise (Ecstasy) was a little less than or equal to $1000.

we liked the idea of a longer trip and more stops like roatan and belize, along with the standard Cozy and Cancun. The carnival cruise stops at Cozumel and calica only.

We chose the NCL (we needed to leave from TX also) and my dad just tells me that his frequent cruising neigbor said he'd have rather done the 5 night Carnival Cruise. He said this becasue in his opinion the shorter trip, etc. was compensated for by a nicer ship and better food. I've read about the Nor. Sea, and the ship is of no concern. We'll be eating drinking, sleeping and laying out by the pool, but that's about it. We plan to spend alot of time ashore.

I have not really found alot of info about the food. I don't expect gourmet, but I don't want that mediocre stuff that you tell yourself is good, simply since you already paid for it.

O.K. that's my "deal" so any reasssurances for us 1st timers.

We've sailed NCL Sea and unfortunately it was our least favorite cruise of 8 we've taken. HOWEVER, if this is your first cruise you will still have a wonderful time! You have no benchmark to compare it to and you will be in awe. Just because it was our least favorite does not mean it was a bad cruise. Compared to our others it just ranked at the bottom.

The ship itself is nothing to write home about. Later this year it is being sold and will no longer be used as a cruise ship by the major lines. The rooms are smaller than other ships and the ceilings are LOW. If you are tall this will bother you and the shower will be an issue. The ship is old and it's age shows.

The ship does have a great itinerary, though!! You'll love all your ports of call.

If you go in to it knowing the ship itself won't be perfect and expect that you'll be just fine. You'll still have a great vacation!

We have been on the Sea and had a great time.

The ship is older, the cabins smaller than many that we have been on. We take insides in order to cruise more often. You've already decided that the ship is not the most important part of the cruise so don't worry about it.

The food was very good and we enjoy freestyle dining. BBQ on deck with NCL is always good. Breakfast buffet generally has smoked meats, sliced cheeses and crusty rolls along with the normal breakfast fare. Dining room breakfast is also very good.

Roatan is a favorite stop for us. When you just want to sit and look out at the ocean and your ship, go to the Blind Tiger. Patio seating just a few hundred yards from the dock. Great view of the ship. If you see the Tiger from the front you may not think about going in but on the other side of the building it's great!

Take the 2 extra days of cruisin' and enjoy.

Charlie

I agree that you will probably be OK with NCL, only because it's your first cruise and have nothing to compare it with... the ports sound wonderful. ( & the sunshine & palm trees are the same) I cruised Carnival and HAL before NCL and it just didn't compare. I think if it had been my first cruise it probably wouldn't have been so "clear" that it was lacking.

A co-worker of mine just got back from one of those cruises-from-hell aboard the Carnival Ecstasy. He had previously been on Rhapsody and said he would not recommend the Ecstasy to me. I have been on Vision and have booked Rhapsody for this fall :)

Here's one of the articles I found:

Ecstasy it's not for stranded cruise passengers

Engine trouble stalls Carnival ship off Yucatan

By KEVIN MORAN

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

GALVESTON - A five-day cruise to Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula has turned into a "cruise to nowhere" because of engine problems aboard the Carnival cruise ship Ecstasy, company officials said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Ecstasy was standing off the port of Progreso, Mexico, Thursday awaiting arrival of parts for a repair, Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said. The ship, with more than 2,000 passengers, departed Galveston 12 hours late Monday but so far is expected to return to Galveston on schedule at 8 a.m. Saturday, she said.

Passengers were advised in writing before departure that an engine problem had developed on last week's Ecstasy cruise, de la Cruz said. A letter distributed to passengers offered a full refund if they chose not to sail.

"The letter defines several different scenarios and one of them was that the ship might not be able to go to any port," de la Cruz said.

Although the letter warns of a possible "cruise to nowhere," it calls a trip without any Mexican port visits "unlikely."

The vessel was scheduled to arrive in Cozumel, Mexico, at 9 a.m. Wednesday and arrive in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, for a day's visit Thursday.

Although the ship's speed and itinerary changed, all other systems and services are normal, de la Cruz said.

Passengers will receive a 50 percent refund on this week's cruise and a 25 percent discount on any three- to eight-day future cruise with Carnival, de la Cruz said. Passengers also are to receive $40 each to cover the cost of meals they purchased before departing Galveston, she said.

Archived