DISNEY WONDER vs RUBY PRINCESS--Which would you choose??

umieesa

Okay, so I'm sooooo indecisive. This will be our first time cruising (my husband and I and our 3 sons, 10, 6, 1). I thought I had made up my mind and chose Princess for several factors (atmosphere, itinerary, price, etc.), but now I saw that for the same price we can sail on the Wonder for the Mexican Riviera itinerary.

I'm booked right now on the Ruby in January, and I love the ports (St. Thomas, Grand Turk and St. Martin), but at the same time I've heard so many positive things about Disney cruises. Flying to FLL will definitely be cheaper for us than flying to LA, and the idea of visiting Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos is not that appealing to me...at the same time I'm sure my kids would love being on a Disney cruise.

For those who have sailed both, what are your thoughts?? Which would you choose? :confused:

THANKS!!!

Just to add...

I'm also worried about seasickness (generally). I have bad memories of our whale watching experience in Monterey :eek: so would the Mexican Riviera itinerary be rougher than the Caribbean? I'm hoping I won't be seasick at all, but just good to know ;)

Wow - you really would have to work hard to find two cruises more different from each other than these are. I usually say all the main stream cruise lines are relatively similar to each other, and itinerary and price usually win out for me. But I think you are talking about two very different experinces with the two you are considering.

We have sailed both these ships. Ruby Princess is larger, newer, more "elegant" in decor, and I think you will find it a little more sedate than Disney Wonder. The Caribbean itinerary is good - and while we have not sailed the Mexican Riviera I think I would prefer the Caribbean ports just going by what I have read about those Mexican ports.

All that being said, the Disney experience is something special, and I am surprised that you have found a Disney cruise at the same price point as Princess. Are they the same number of days or is the Disney cruise shorter? If so, that should factor into your decision also. More days always wins out for me.

Just thinking about the on-board experience, I think you and your husband if sailing alone would prefer the Ruby Princess to the Disney Wonder. But you are not sailing alone and at those ages your kids will be blown away by the Disney cruise (and I don't think they will find the Ruby Princess to be as much fun by a wide margin). Disney really does excel in catering to kids. The attention that is paid to them by the crew, the characters roaming the ship, the amazing kid's club, and the entertainment in the main show room are hard to beat. Just be aware, it is all-Disney-all-the-time so if you think that might bother you - it will. There is no way to escape it.

It's hard to guide you on this one without knowing you & your family and what you enjoy. For us, we have taken our grandkids on NCL, Disney and Carnival. They liked all three. We would not consider taking them on Princess. Although we like Princess very much, I just don't think it's as good an experience for kids as those others.

One other point - are you planning to have all 5 in one cabin? Disney has a split bathroom concept that works a little better with that many people sharing than the standard cabin bathroom you will find on Princess.

Good luck to you.

Wow - you really would have to work hard to find two cruises more different from each other than these are. I usually say all the main stream cruise lines are relatively similar to each other, and itinerary and price usually win out for me. But I think you are talking about two very different experinces with the two you are considering.

We have sailed both these ships. Ruby Princess is larger, newer, more "elegant" in decor, and I think you will find it a little more sedate than Disney Wonder. The Caribbean itinerary is good - and while we have not sailed the Mexican Riviera I think I would prefer the Caribbean ports just going by what I have read about those Mexican ports.

All that being said, the Disney experience is something special, and I am surprised that you have found a Disney cruise at the same price point as Princess. Are they the same number of days or is the Disney cruise shorter? If so, that should factor into your decision also. More days always wins out for me.

Just thinking about the on-board experience, I think you and your husband if sailing alone would prefer the Ruby Princess to the Disney Wonder. But you are not sailing alone and at those ages your kids will be blown away by the Disney cruise (and I don't think they will find the Ruby Princess to be as much fun by a wide margin). Disney really does excel in catering to kids. The attention that is paid to them by the crew, the characters roaming the ship, the amazing kid's club, and the entertainment in the main show room are hard to beat. Just be aware, it is all-Disney-all-the-time so if you think that might bother you - it will. There is no way to escape it.

It's hard to guide you on this one without knowing you & your family and what you enjoy. For us, we have taken our grandkids on NCL, Disney and Carnival. They liked all three. We would not consider taking them on Princess. Although we like Princess very much, I just don't think it's as good an experience for kids as those others.

One other point - are you planning to have all 5 in one cabin? Disney has a split bathroom concept that works a little better with that many people sharing than the standard cabin bathroom you will find on Princess.

As for rough seas, it depends completely on the weather at the time. I don’t think there is a way to predict it this far out.

Good luck to you.

As for rough seas, it depends completely on the weather at the time. I don’t think there is a way to predict it this far out.

Good luck to you.

If you have managed to find Disney at the same price as Princess it really is a no brainer, give Disney a try.

For some odd reason, I hate what Disney has become, however, from listening to friends that have sailed on the ships they do a fantastic job.

Also, they have managed to make some areas adults only and they enforce that rule, so you won't have to be around kids all the time if you don't want to be.

If you have managed to find Disney at the same price as Princess it really is a no brainer, give Disney a try.

For some odd reason, I hate what Disney has become, however, from listening to friends that have sailed on the ships they do a fantastic job.

Also, they have managed to make some areas adults only and they enforce that rule, so you won't have to be around kids all the time if you don't want to be.

;) We are "Elite" C/C members,love Princess.

Have also cruised with Disney 3 times.With children,cannot think of a better holiday than a Disney cruise for you ALL !

Even soft drinks are included in the price.

GO DISNEY.

Just to add...

I'm also worried about seasickness (generally). I have bad memories of our whale watching experience in Monterey :eek: so would the Mexican Riviera itinerary be rougher than the Caribbean? I'm hoping I won't be seasick at all, but just good to know ;)

Generaly the west coast will be much rougher than the Carribean.

When you leave Cabo heading back to LA you will experience the most motion.

Thanks for all the input so far! I still can't decide :o

My kids do love Disney...we were just in WDW for 12 days this past January, and I'm sure they'd choose to go back if I gave them choice!

Right now I have two cabins booked on the Ruby and I would do the same on the Wonder. My kids are not very hyper and are not too difficult to please (the eldest would pick a book over a game system any day), and that's what initially made me feel that Princess would be a good fit since it seems like a more relaxed, quiet atmosphere while still offering activities for the kids.

The itinerary on the Caribbean is definitely more appealing to me (and forgive me if this is ignorant, but I just feel safer in the Caribbean than I would Mexico). For us food is another big thing, so that's where the Mexican ports may win out? Would food be pretty similar on both ships? At the same time my husband and kids have never been to FLL or Miami, so these would be new cities for them that we could experience pre-cruise (and the food in Miami always has me excited). We live in Toronto, so flights to FLL are probably going to be about $600-1000 cheaper than to LAX.

Don't get me wrong...I love Disney. We have visited 3 times in the last 4 years but I think knowing my personality I would fall into the category of people that prefers "port" days to "Sea" days...I'm not a lay on the beach type of person (hubby probably could tho :p)

Appreciate all your advice so far...I'm hoping the decision becomes crystal clear :p

We're big-time Disney fans....DVC members...who spend an average of 6+ weeks a year at Walt Disney World.

I would beg to differ with those who say nobody does it better than Disney when it comes to cruising. We began cruising with DCL, but after a few cruises we decided to try another line: Princess. We have since cruised fourteen times with Princess and haven't looked back.

Poor food quality on DCL was one of the primary reasons we decided to try Princess. We found there to be no comparison...Princess menus, food quality, and dining room service is head and shoulders above DCL.

Anytime dining is a big plus! With traditional dining, we always found ourselves planning our day around our dinner seating time. With anytime dining you go to one of the two anytime dining rooms when you're ready. It's as simple as that!

Does dining room staff still beg for good reviews on the cruise survey at the end of the cruise? We found this very annoying and a big turn-off for us!

Evening entertainment is superior and different from cruise-to-cruise on Princess. The same shows were presented on each DCL cruise we took. It became boring after awhile.

Cabin for cabin type, Princess is less expensive. This was not the deciding factor for us, but it's a fact. There are smaller balcony cabins on Princess ships with huge (9' x 9' on Caribe deck) balconies that are much less expensive and are perfect for two people.

My grandson happens to like the kids' clubs on Princess better than DCL. The kids' clubs on DCL are in an enclosed area with no windows. Some of the personnel were really great, but some were obviously bored with their job and should not be working with kids.

The kids' club on the Princess ships we have sailed are open and airy with plenty of windows. The staff are very personable and seem genuinely interested in working with kids. Our grandson couldn't wait to go to the club almost every day.

The DCL ships are spotless and so are Princess. You're going to have a wonderful time on either cruise line. Princess just seems to do it consistently better.

Lew

Lew...Thank you!

Maybe it's what I wanted to hear, but I'm feeling more partial to Princess. As much as Im a huge Disney fan myself it just seems to be a better fit. I was looking for a more relaxed atmosphere, and as much as I love my own kids I'm not sure how I'll feel about being surrounded by hoards of kids all day everyday (especially with more sea days on the Wonder).

I think I'll save Disney for the parks ;)

Poor food quality on DCL was one of the primary reasons we decided to try Princess. We found there to be no comparison...Princess menus, food quality, and dining room service is head and shoulders above DCL.

Agree 100%. Food on the Wonder is an afterthought except in the adult-only, extra fee specialty restaurant.

Evening entertainment is superior and different from cruise-to-cruise on Princess. The same shows were presented on each DCL cruise we took. It became boring after awhile.

True, to a degree. But I would venture to guess that your kids would enjoy DCL's entertainment more than Princess. So in weighing entertainment, you have to consider who you are catering to, you or your kids.

Cabin for cabin type, Princess is less expensive. This was not the deciding factor for us, but it's a fact.

On an "even-up" itinerary, Princess is less expensive. I'm surprised that you found a Disney cruise at the same price point, but maybe that just speaks to the difference in itineraries. I've never priced a Pacific Mexican cruise as it holds no interest for me. But "basic" DCL cabins are among the biggest available, so with a family your size, that could weigh in favor of DCL.

The DCL ships are spotless and so are Princess. You're going to have a wonderful time on either cruise line. Princess just seems to do it consistently better.

Lew

All in all, I'd have to agree with this summary. If the DCL itinereary were the Eastern Caribbean, and the price were the same, I would say to make your decision based on how important dining is to you. If dining really matters, Princess is way ahead on that score. If dining isn't a key feature, then the race becomes much closer, with DCL's cabin space perhaps a tipping point for a family of 5. But since the itineraries are not the same, I would say that Princess is out in front here, but I have to confess my bias against the west coast of Mexico itinerary. I have been to several of those cities on a land-based vacations, and they all started to look alike to me and don't interest me at all, from a cruising perspective.

Having sailed both lines extensively and the Mexican Riviera on the Wonder recently, I think I can help you on some of your concerns. If you are afan of the Mouse, you are half way there anyway. In my experience, if you love the parks, you'll love the ship even better. The entertainment generally is better than on land, the service top notch and of course, your kids will get plenty of attention.

The MR is a little rough on the way home (ironically I did the same itinerary on the Golden Princess previously) but nothing you can't manage.

If you are a port person and concerned about sea days being a drag - Disney does an amazing job of keeping you busy. They have lots of classes, demonstrations, games, bingo, movies, lectures, and the ever present spa and gym to keep you busy - or plenty of lounge chairs to do absolutely nothing.

I will partially echo the above poster. Disney's food is not why you sail that line. But in every other feature, I rate them higher than on Princess (and as I am sailing in two weeks on the Emerald Princess, know that I am a big fan of Princess as well). The food Disney presents is mid range restaurant quality. Palo is the additinoal fee restaurant and if you can go to that, you will find some spectacular food. Otherwise, dinner is more the event rather than the culinary delight.

If it was me - given the price - I'd grab the Disney cruise. But either choice will be wonderful. Perhaps the price of getting yourself to the respective ports might sway your decision - I don't recall where you live.

Lew...Thank you!

I was looking for a more relaxed atmosphere, and as much as I love my own kids I'm not sure how I'll feel about being surrounded by hoards of kids all day everyday (especially with more sea days on the Wonder).

I think I'll save Disney for the parks ;)

Ahh - the fallacy in thinking for those that have not been on a Disney ship! :)

The kids programs are on one deck - so the kids may be in greater numbers, but they are kept to their space. So - you may be surrounded by YOUR kids all day - but you won't have as much of the others if you avoid the kids areas (and it's not that difficult to do - Disney is very good about providing adults only areas where other lines don't).

With the kids I would choose Disney, I have not cruised on the Wonder but we loved the Magic, My kids have had great experiences and we have never had hordes of kids. The kids club on the disney is way better than Princess just for the fact that it is open all day so when you have to sign them in and out you can relax and not be clock watching all day to make sure you are not late.

Now that my kids are teens they still enjoy Disney but it's not the same experience as when they were younger so we are more apt to do Princess with them but they wouldn't trade those Disney memories.

If Disney is the same price I would do the Disney as normally it is way more expensive so what a great opportunity/deal.

The kids programs are on one deck - so the kids may be in greater numbers, but they are kept to their space. So - you may be surrounded by YOUR kids all day - but you won't have as much of the others if you avoid the kids areas (and it's not that difficult to do - Disney is very good about providing adults only areas where other lines don't).

We have never had a problem with too many kids on Disney and love the adult pool, coffee area etc.

My favorite restaurant on any ship is Palo's - hmm, that may be one of my favorites on land too :)

Very true. On my first trip on DCL, we went as a couple. No kids. We were amazed at how all the children on the ship seemed to disappear into the woodwork except at the family pool and the early dinner seating. We chose the later seating and didn't hang out at the family pool, and you could not tell this cruise from any other cruise on any other line.

OHHHH...I don't know :confused:

I love everything about the Ruby...itinerary, food options, atmosphere. The only reason I'm considering switching is the sheer fact that it's DISNEY!

I'm not really interested in the Mexican Riviera and it does seem that Disney tends to discount these sailings (I agree that if I was able to get this price on one of the Caribbean routes I might be more inclined to switch). The offer is only available to Canadian residents (most of us here on the East Coast travel to Florida, so maybe that's why they're trying to entice us to the West coast??) and actually comes out about $100 cheaper than the Ruby. Although, like I said, flights would be about 600-1000 bucks more :eek:

When I showed my kids both ships, they were obviously enticed by Disney, but my sons are already major foodies (big food network fans, and the product of 2 foodie parents :p) and they want to snorkel (so the Caribbean ports seem more fitting for that).

Right now I'm on the fence...I feel like I'm picking the Ruby for selfish reasons :o. Hubby is letting me do the planning, but he's a big Disney fan too, and he's making me feel like Disney is the way to go...sometimes planning is not that fun :(

Thanks for all the input so far! I still can't decide :o

The itinerary on the Caribbean is definitely more appealing to me (and forgive me if this is ignorant, but I just feel safer in the Caribbean than I would Mexico). For us food is another big thing, so that's where the Mexican ports may win out? Would food be pretty similar on both ships? At the same time my husband and kids have never been to FLL or Miami, so these would be new cities for them that we could experience pre-cruise (and the food in Miami always has me excited). We live in Toronto, so flights to FLL are probably going to be about $600-1000 cheaper than to LAX.

Don't get me wrong...I love Disney. We have visited 3 times in the last 4 years but I think knowing my personality I would fall into the category of people that prefers "port" days to "Sea" days...I'm not a lay on the beach type of person (hubby probably could tho :p)

p

OK - here is where I missed some information that for me makes it an easy call. The flight issue is big - and new locations to your family in FL. As much as I love Disney - it seems like the Ruby may be a better choice.

As for safer in Caribbean versus Mexico? I don't see how you can make that choice. We were in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta in March - we felt very safe the whole time. The locals we spoke with indicated that the drug cartels are not wanted and the locals are very alert for trouble and run it out as fast as possible - tourism is their industry!

And if your kids are foodies - let me muddy the waters further - Disney on their sea days has cooking demonstrations followed by tastings of the food the chef has prepared in front of you! Sorry - I don't seem to be helping here!

OHHHH...I don't know :confused:

I love everything about the Ruby...itinerary, food options, atmosphere. The only reason I'm considering switching is the sheer fact that it's DISNEY!

I'm not really interested in the Mexican Riviera and it does seem that Disney tends to discount these sailings (I agree that if I was able to get this price on one of the Caribbean routes I might be more inclined to switch). The offer is only available to Canadian residents (most of us here on the East Coast travel to Florida, so maybe that's why they're trying to entice us to the West coast??) and actually comes out about $100 cheaper than the Ruby. Although, like I said, flights would be about 600-1000 bucks more :eek:

When I showed my kids both ships, they were obviously enticed by Disney, but my sons are already major foodies (big food network fans, and the product of 2 foodie parents :p) and they want to snorkel (so the Caribbean ports seem more fitting for that).

Right now I'm on the fence...I feel like I'm picking the Ruby for selfish reasons :o. Hubby is letting me do the planning, but he's a big Disney fan too, and he's making me feel like Disney is the way to go...sometimes planning is not that fun :(

On our third or fourth Disney we noticed that the food went down but saw a huge improvement on our last one so I guess there were enought complaints that they did something. You will get so many more oppertunities to go on princess as the prices are mostly better so I would take advantage of this bad economy and do the disney.

Have you been to the disboards to ask and see the roll call for the cruise, they have some awesome ideas and designes for t-shirts, door magnets etc. We have arranges treasure hunts and lots of other activities with the roll calls on the disboards.

Archived