Any required vaccinations for Argentina or Chile?

geospyder

There are no required vaccinations.

I would highly recommend consulting with your doctor's office about any that they would recommend. As a traveler often there are some that they recommend and of course you want to make sure that your regular vaccinations such as tetanus is up to date.

Keith

It depends on where in Argentina that you plan to go. Iguazu Falls "recommends" Yellow Fever Vaccination. Check with the CDC, enter your destination and you will get their recomendations. You can also visit a travel clinic. If you need the vaccine, you may have to go there anyway. Take your travel itinerary with you.

Don't dance around the vaccinations if they are recommended. I work in a hospital and have seen the results of people that have ignored the recommendations.

Other places you plan on visiting in the next ten years? Think of your bucket list as well as just this trip. Iguazu is on the edge of Yellow Fever area. Sometimes Hep A or B are recommended. Tetnus for sure if you need the booster. Talk to your doctor or a travel clinic.

Thanks for the replies. I did find that the are no required vaccinations for those countries. I'm not going to the Iguazu area. All my standard shots are up-to-date. The only one that I do not ever remember receiving is a hepatitis A shot. I just sent an email to my doctor for his recommendations. Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

I am doing a South American cruise Santiago to Buenos Aires (including a couple of days in Iguazu Falls, ARG) in January.

I checked with my doctor and the doctor that specializes in travel medicine/injections. He said to make sure all regular immunizations are up to date inlcuding Tetnaus & Hepatitis A/B. They also both suggested Typhoid Fever. Yellow fever is most likely not needed unless you are going to be in Iguazu for several days (and not at a hotel). It is recommended but not necessary. The CDC site (www cdc dot gov) is good and had a lot of information.

He also advised that the flu shot would not likely be necessary for two reasons. It is summer there (although cold) and the virus would be a different strain. I did get it anyways as there was no charge. I only had to pay for the Typhoid Fever injection (which I will get the second week in December).

Hope this helps.

I would have gotten the flu shot anyway because you will be on a cruise ship with others traveling from places such as North America who might bring on board the flu.

The best thing to do is what you did which is to check with your doctor. In the end, that is what each person should do.

Keith

Archived