Questions about 2 yr old on a cruise

Need-A-Vacay

My husband and I have been on several Carnival cruises prior to starting our family. We now have a soon to be two year old. We have not taken any vacays in the last two years and are in need of one. Of course cruising is all we think about when we need a vacay....but now we have the little guy.

We thought about leaving him with g-ma & g-pa but dont know if I can handle being away from him for a week. I feel like he would think we abbandoned him. So I need advice & have questions?

1. Option 1 - We go alone for mommy & daddy time

2. Option 2 - We go as a family

3. Option 3 - We go as a family +1 (bring g-ma to help)

If we go with the family option - does anyone have advice on taking a kid that young on a cruise? I heard they can't get in the pool if not trained? I don't know about Camp C for a kid this young? Also does a 2 year old require a passport to travel????

Please send any advice becuase I am stressing out about a vacay and that shouldn't happen.:confused:

I can't help with the various options you present, but I can tell you if an adult needs a passport to travel, a 2-year-old also needs a passport.

I know some cruises don't require passports depending on the itinerary, but if you are leaving the U.S., each passenger SHOULD have a passport to avoid any potential problems.

My husband and I have been on several Carnival cruises prior to starting our family. We now have a soon to be two year old. We have not taken any vacays in the last two years and are in need of one. Of course cruising is all we think about when we need a vacay....but now we have the little guy.

We thought about leaving him with g-ma & g-pa but dont know if I can handle being away from him for a week. I feel like he would think we abbandoned him. So I need advice & have questions?

If we go with the family option - does anyone have advice on taking a kid that young on a cruise? I heard they can't get in the pool if not trained? I don't know about Camp C for a kid this young? Also does a 2 year old require a passport to travel????

Please send any advice becuase I am stressing out about a vacay and that shouldn't happen.:confused:

OK, FIRST, deep breaths, lol. ;) As a mom of two, I've totally been where you are.

Secondly, my husband and I went on two cruises prior to taking the kids, and I have to tell you that we think it's the BEST way to go as a family. There's a great mix of family time AND adult time (when the kiddos are in Camp). Camp Carnival takes kids starts at 2, so no worries there. 2 year olds don't *require* a passport, but I think you may want to consider what would happen if (God forbid) you'd need one in an emergency to fly out of whatever country you're in (should an injury or accident prohibit you from continuing on with the cruise). I'm a firm believer in "I'd rather have it and not NEED it, than need it and not HAVE it". And in the "grand scheme of things", atleast in my cruise budget, the extra $100 isn't a deal-breaker.

I don't know about you, but spending the week in a cabin with not only my 2 year old but grandma too does NOT sound relaxing to me. And the added expense of another cabin (and all that may go with it...as far as excursions, airfare, etc) is kind of a big deal. I think you and your husband should be able to handle everything fine. As long as you take the cues from your little one on what he can handle and when he's reached his limit and needs a nap or some down time, I think that's the key. Possibly arranging for a later dinner seating (so you can feed him in the buffet and maybe take him to Camp) so your little one doesn't have to sit through the 1 1/2-2 hour process that is dinner.

And no, diapered kids cannot go in the pools onboard. But honestly they keep them so busy in Camp, and you'll be busy on whatever excursions you pick out, you most likely won't even have TIME to go swimming. My 2 kids have been on 2 cruises and have YET to set foot in a pool. :)

I hope that helps. I see you're new here...there's a board here on CC called "Family Cruising", everyone over there is very helpful and may have some additional tips and tricks for you.

I recommend checking out the family cruising board for advice!

We're cruising in November with our son who will be 21 months old. My parents are coming along, but we would cruise without them. We're aware that this will be a different kind of cruise for us. But then, life is just different since we became parents. You're going to get a lot of responses telling you to leave your child at home, cruising is for adults, your son is going to ruin your vacation, blah blah blah. You have to decide what is right for you. For us, I can't imagine cruising without our son. :D

Swimming - no swimming in the pools unless potty trained.

Camp Carnival - must be at least 2 years old

True...children can not go in the pools if they're not potty trained. Not even with swimmies.

Passports are not required at this time. Here's some info about travel docs from Carnival's FAQs:

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

• Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • Enhanced Tribal Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Here's the link to the Family Boards: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=49

Should be lots of good info there.

I haven't used Camp Carnival, so I can't help you there.

Oh...and I'd take grandma. It would be nice to have some help come along!!

I'm not telling you to choose the leave the little guy at home with g'parents but I will tell you that he will never think you are abbandoning him if you do. I'm sure he will have a blast as the center of his g'parents attention for the duration of your cruise. You and hubby could have a wonderful time to reconnect and the little guy and his g'parents could have a wonderful bonding time.

Have a great vaca which ever you choose!

I'm not telling you to choose the leave the little guy at home with g'parents but I will tell you that he will never think you are abbandoning him if you do. I'm sure he will have a blast as the center of his g'parents attention for the duration of your cruise. You and hubby could have a wonderful time to reconnect and the little guy and his g'parents could have a wonderful bonding time.

Have a great vaca which ever you choose!

And while mamaParrothead makes agreat case for taking the little one, I'll tell you from raising 3 boys, at 2, six months from now, he won't remember a thing about the cruise or staying with the grandfolks nor go into some pseudo-pop-psych past regression manufactured trauma disfunction when he's 18 just becuase you eithe rtook him on a cruise or didn't.

If you take him, just be prepared for a slightly different type of vacay than you've experienced in the past ('course that's going to the the case for the next 16 years anyway:D). If you leave him with grandma, I assume you'll be the one in a frantic and not really get any of the R&R you need. But he'll be fine and happy.

We cruised with our 2yr old in April & had a blast!

Granted, we don't have the option of leaving him at home but if you do, I would completely jump on that.

On board, no pool time if not potty trained.

Only need birth certificate for kiddo to cruise.

Camp Carnival was great. Kiddo HAS to be 2 by time of sailing to participate. My kiddo loved it. The face paintings, the games, he loves Freddy.

He calls the Whale Tail Freddy.

The only problem we had was nap time. Sometimes he didn't nap & he didn't like being restricted at dinner (can't run around) and had a couple of fits but he LOVED dancing with the waiters.

We were actually looking through our Cruise album last night & he kept pointing out that he was a pirate (they made a hat in CC & had face painting). He loved his Freddy shirt & he misses the dolphins.

Soooo .. if you want a romantic cruise, go alone. If you're looking forward to a nice family vacation, take the kiddo. Kiddo will have a great time on board.

We take a cruise every sprink break to celebrate my 7 year old's birthday. Well I had a little girl last December so in march she wasn't quite 6 months yet so the grandparents kept her while we went on a quick 4 day. I can tell you I missed her like crazy, had a crazy telephone bill calling Gee(thats what we call her), and I thought about her constantly. We still had a good time but I missed her so much. Next cruise, she will be with us, I can't do that again!!

Yes, take Grandma and kids along!! We have cruised with our kids a ton with and without grandparents. My 5 yr old is going on her 12th cruise and my 2 year-old his 6th cruise. It is by far the easiest way to travel with young kids, food is available 24/7 the cabin is always accessible. You are in walking distance to everything and there is a ton of entertainment all the time. That being said it is not "relaxing" so if you are looking to get away from it all completely leave the kids at home. You still have all the responsibility at home. If you bring Grandma along, you will have both her and camp carnival to entertain your child while you get a break. You will also have great memories for years to come!

And while mamaParrothead makes agreat case for taking the little one, I'll tell you from raising 3 boys, at 2, six months from now, he won't remember a thing about the cruise or staying with the grandfolks nor go into some pseudo-pop-psych past regression manufactured trauma disfunction when he's 18 just becuase you eithe rtook him on a cruise or didn't.

If you take him, just be prepared for a slightly different type of vacay than you've experienced in the past ('course that's going to the the case for the next 16 years anyway:D). If you leave him with grandma, I assume you'll be the one in a frantic and not really get any of the R&R you need. But he'll be fine and happy.

True on both counts. But the way I look at it, it's not only the kid's memories that are precious, it's mine as a parent as well. So even if he doesn't remember sitting on the beach in Cozumel when he was 6 months, things like that are the "snapshots in my mind" that pop up and bring it all back to me and are probably one of my favorite parts of being a parent.

Also true that it will not be the same as cruising as a couple. I do think it IS different, but equally as enjoyable.

JMHO.

Our son in now 10 and has been on 10 cruises. His first was at 8 months. We took 1 on our 10th annivarsary without him. He was 2.5 yo and we missed him something fierce, but he hardly noticed we were gone. A week at Granny's house was great for him. We have taken a few with just the 3 of us. The trips when he was under age 5 we always had family with us, usually my mom. He loved camp, but actually wanted to stay with my mom in her cabin most evenings. We try to get 2 cabins with adjoining balconies. That way we can get to each other without going in the hall. It is an expense, but well worth it. We are leaving Friday on the Triumph and even though he is 10 years old now, he is so happy his Granny is coming along! He says it is just not the same without her on board. They share a very special cruise history that they both enjoy and allows my husband and I to spend family time and us time on our vacations. If you can afford it I would opt to bring along G-Ma and get the extra cabin.

1. Waited until our son was 2 & 2 days so that he could go to Camp for age appropriate activities. HE HAD A BLAST!

2. Our son's passport was added into our vacation budget, the same as parking at the port & pet boarding. Besides, I'd hate to lose/ruin the birth cert. (Passports travel so much better & you can get them stamped in the ports of call - free souvenier)

3. We did not have the grandparents option, but we would not have taken it anyway. (We are a family, the idea of taking a vacation without him is a foreign idea to me - you might as well try to explain it in Greek.)

4. If you do bring grandma - do look into a second cabin... (If she is your mom, does she need to see your hubby when he just out of bed in the morning/out of the shower, etc. Your husband deserves the space to get dressed without worrying about his MIL - ditto if it is his mom & you...)

5. On our next cruise the in-laws are joining us. (I'm already worried...;))

You really can't go wrong with either of the choices.

he may not remember ever going but let me tell you you will when looking at pics of your cruise 5, 10, 15 yrs from now. Time spent with your kids on Vacation is priceless time. Sure it can be stressful, but the family time involved cannot ever be replaced. I took 1 Holiday with my family and that was when I was 3. Not one other vacation. We are not wealthy, but try to find the money to take our 3 girls on vacation when we can. Their friends go, and I want to try to give them something I didn't have a chance to do for various reason.

If you can get help than even better for time alone. But the Camp is great for 2 year olds and you can take advantage of that in the evenings and even babysitting after 10pm!

I appreciate all of your responses from all of your points of view. Still undecided but you've given me things to consider.

I'll be sure to let you know how things turn out.:)

I have a pic of myself and my at the time 18month old daughter sitting on an inner tube at Half Moon Cay in Paradise. That pic alone I will look back at in 10 years and be glad I took her!

Given that you have not had vacation since before you started a family, I will go ahead and assume that you are somewhat in need to relaxation and "me" time. Under these circumstances I would go ahead and go without kids.

We mostly go with our 2 kids - even took our then 4 year old to Italy (he loved it), but with 2 year-old cruise is not the best vacation for everyone involved (kids and parents). If you want to take your 2 year old, I would suggest an all inclusive resort - it is less stressful, more to do for a kid and you will be able to enjoy some adult only time during hours when resort day care is open.

I disagree with an AI having more to do for a 2 year old. Typically they do not run all day/night programs for kids under 4 if at all. That is why I think cruising is ideal for families with young ones...also, whatever activities they have for kids, my guess they are not as organized or thought out as the Kids programs are on a ship...someone can state otherwise

I went on 3 cruises last year (my kids are adults). This year, by a twist of fate, I have a two year old. I would LOVE to go on another cruise, but I can't get comfortable with the idea of taking her. We have worked so hard getting her used to her routine, that I'm afraid taking her on a ship would upset the apple cart. My fear is that she wouldn't be able to sleep well in a strange environment and that could ruin the cruise for both of us.

When my son was little, grandma came to our house and stayed with him when we cruised.

Good luck whatever you choose!

I say take the little guy. We have two boys 4 and 2. They have been on 3 and 2 cruises respectively. We have a great time and so do they. Now I know they wont necessarily remember the trip, but we will. The cruises are some of our best family memories. We always book a balcony to hang out on when they nap. My four year old didn’t even want to have dinner with us after the first night. He wanted to eat with his "friends". We don’t do excursions, just find a resort that will let us swim for free. Sometimes we will take a little tour on a water taxi, but nothing too big. We are taking them again in January and March. They cant wait to see Freddy.

P.S. I wouldn’t go with grandma, we tried it once. Didn’t work out like we thought. Also change your expectations to none. Just go with an open mind and have fun.

Family vacations are great. I loved traveling with our kids, and still like it so much that we sometimes bring them along although they are all grown.

However, not EVERY vacation needs to be a family vacation.

Your child won't be traumatized if you leave him with grandma now. If you don't leave him with grandma until he is 7 or 8, it might be harder. The younger that children are left with family members to care for them, the easier it is as they get older. It doesn't hurt the bond with mom and dad, and it makes the child more flexible and secure with extended family.

You can have a great cruise with or without your toddler. Just decide which way appeals to you most, and go with it. Do NOT feel guilty if you would like to have a week without the tyke.;) It is okay to have some adult only time, and for some of us, it is actually critical. I was always a much better parent when I had some time to relax without kids now and again.

Parents memories are certainly important. But you can get the same "warm and fuzzy" feeling years from now, when you look at a picture of the tot sitting in a wading pool or being silly with grandparents.

If you take the little one with you do your best to work around his schedule so he doesn't get thrown off traveling. Take a couple of new toys and don't let him see them until you are on the ship (one at a time). That way when he gets cranky you've got something new to distract him with for a time. We always had things for the kids that were only for trips.

I wasnt comfortable leaving my daughter until she was about 4. I would bring your 2 year old.

I think if your Mom or MIL wants to come ..it sounds like you would be using her as a baby sitter. I would make sure this works for her as well. My brother and his family (2 little girls 8 and 3 1/2) are in ithe midst of planning thier 3rd cruise together. But my mom goes for her..not to be a baby sitter. She sits for them 1 night so they can get a night alone together and will stay for a nap time or two so they can be out on boat. Other than eating together and some hanging out, she also does her own thing. She gets her own cabin, and doesnt even try to get it close to thiers. So I would make sure if your "grandma" you bring...wants to babysit..a little, a lot or maybe not at all. Just so no misunderstandings.

Family vacations are great. I loved traveling with our kids, and still like it so much that we sometimes bring them along although they are all grown.

However, not EVERY vacation needs to be a family vacation.

Your child won't be traumatized if you leave him with grandma now. If you don't leave him with grandma until he is 7 or 8, it might be harder. The younger that children are left with family members to care for them, the easier it is as they get older. It doesn't hurt the bond with mom and dad, and it makes the child more flexible and secure with extended family.

You can have a great cruise with or without your toddler. Just decide which way appeals to you most, and go with it. Do NOT feel guilty if you would like to have a week without the tyke.;) It is okay to have some adult only time, and for some of us, it is actually critical. I was always a much better parent when I had some time to relax without kids now and again.

Parents memories are certainly important. But you can get the same "warm and fuzzy" feeling years from now, when you look at a picture of the tot sitting in a wading pool or being silly with grandparents.

If you take the little one with you do your best to work around his schedule so he doesn't get thrown off traveling. Take a couple of new toys and don't let him see them until you are on the ship (one at a time). That way when he gets cranky you've got something new to distract him with for a time. We always had things for the kids that were only for trips.

This is GREAT advice! I was ready to say that you should take the little guy because he would have a great time too, but I think this post nailed it. It all depends on what you want from your vacation. We are taking our 1 year old because this vacation is specifically a family trip and we both look forward to our son getting this new experience.

I say follow pjhootch's advice and evaluate WHY you are taking this vacation.

Something else to consider, try a mini-vacation first. We took our son to Atlanta when he was about 3 months old. We had so much fun with him and knew we would be able to handle him on other vacations (he's been on a couple more since then. However, this is his first cruise). If time is on your side, it might help to "test the waters".

Archived