Best Time & Ship For Alaska

auburn77

We have done 4 Alaska cruises. 3 in August and 1 in June. We actually preferred the cruise in June. The wildlife seemed to be more active and it was light very late. Below is a photo taken at 10:30pm on June 21, 2011. The weather was great for most of the cruise in June. When we do another Alaska cruise it will probably be in June.

DSCF9561.jpg.8e92e6908681f57bb46b6661e0200c46.jpg

We have done 4 Alaska cruises. 3 in August and 1 in June. We actually preferred the cruise in June. The wildlife seemed to be more active and it was light very late. Below is a photo taken at 10:30pm on June 21, 2011. The weather was great for most of the cruise in June. When we do another Alaska cruise it will probably be in June.

In late May, bears are somewhat sleepy, on our last trip to Emerald Lake, we had four stops for bear 'close ups'.

john

I have done a ton of Alaska cruises between Mid-May through the first of July.

I love the end of May and first of June as my favorite time (dryer). I have had bear sightings at the end of May/first of June but they were not close up and the salmon is not running so it is not as predictable. I have seen them at Exit Glacier and Misty Fiords.

Can you have a bad week in Alaska - yes, it is very possible! One year my cruise over the 4th of July had a constant rain/sleet/ice mix with heavy winds and constant fog. When you looked outside the ice would hit your eyes and then it was pure gray. I hated that cruise as it was too wet and cold and windy with zero visibility to do anything.

My other cruises to Alaska were wonderful.

Archived