Can he wear this on formal night?

Chuckwick3

Just a quick question. Since we are flying from L.A to Anchorage, we are paying for bags so we only want to take 1 each. We usually travel with a garmet bag, but have decided it's not worth the extra $70 round trip fee.

For formal night, can my husband get away with a dress shirt and tie without a jacket?

Thanks!

If luggage space/weight is a concen, why not have him wear a jacket on the plane? I travel a lot for business, and I always toss on a blazer when flying so that I have one with me that didn't have to get packed, even if I am wearing shorts and a golf shirt. But, ultimately, it appears that most maitre d's are allowing dress shirts and ties. At least, that is what is being reported here.

I've been doing just that for the past ten years without any problems except I don't choose to wear a tie. Just to to be on the safe side make sure it's a long sleeve shirt although I've been noticing the acceptance of short sleeve polo shirts on formal evenings lately as well. The next cruise I'll try reverting to a polo & not have to roll up the sleeves.

Just a quick question. Since we are flying from L.A to Anchorage, we are paying for bags so we only want to take 1 each. We usually travel with a garmet bag, but have decided it's not worth the extra $70 round trip fee.

For formal night, can my husband get away with a dress shirt and tie without a jacket?

Thanks!

Probably.

Pearl

Thanks!

What does "get away with" mean? Sounds like on Princess you'll see a few others dressed like this on formal nights. And apparently no one is stopped for not wearing a tie or jacket.

If in doubt, have him wear a dark sports jacket on the plane. Throw on a nice tie and charcoal pants on formal nights and he's dressed closer to Princess' formal guidelines.

I can only tell you what happened on the Ruby last November. In the traditional dining they would not let you in without a jacket on formal nights. Two men in line with us in dockers and golf shirts were told they did not meet the formal dress code for the MDR for that evening. They were told they could return with jackets or dine in a different restaurant. On HAL this past April on a transatlantic they had about 10 jackets they would loan to men on formal nights if they did not have one. You might be able to get away with not wearing a jacket but you might not. Princess still has a dress code for formal nights. I know not all ships enforce it but some still do.

I have worn a long sleeved shirt on my last cruises and never had a problem. I think there are more now who would prefer non formal dinners-jsut nicely dressed. That is the world on the twenty first century. It is rare now to see a suit here now.

As much as I like seeing people dress up for formal night, and look decent in the MDR for other nights, it seems to be less common. The first formal night we had last cruise, the entire table next to us came in golf shirts, as did several others in the Palm. One of the people at my table was a 13 year old, traveling with her grandmother. Except for formal nights, when she wore a VERY short skirt, she wore short, shorts to dinner every night. I wore skirts every night and formals on the 2 formal nights. Since I'm the only person I have to make happy, and what others do is not really my business, I was fine with it all (albeit a bit surprised).

And I agree, Chuck, you don't have to defend yourself to anyone. I understand the weight thing. My one suitcase weighed 65 pounds for a 7 day cruise, and I looked wherever I could to cut weight, even though I drove to the port (I had to carry it myself). Playing Heidi and wearing as much as you can is a great idea.

Maureen

A long sleeved dress shirt, tie and nice dress slacks will be perfectly acceptable in the main dining room on formal night. My husband and sons have worn this attire for the last few Princess cruises and they have fit in well with the other male passengers.

Alaska and the Caribbean are well known for being more casual in the dining rooms.

Have a wonderful cruise :)

Archived