cancel cruise

peanutJMV

We are booked on the Carnival Miracle and it looks like we are going to need to cancel.

I did take out insurance that covers trip cancellation and pre existing since booked within time frame. I really want to go on the cruise but due to illness and need for ongoing treatment does not look like we will be able to go. Cruise is only a couple weeks away.

Question?? ANyone have experience with cruise cancellation, would we be refunded for both my husband and myself?-----Thanks in advance.---June

since you are close to the sail date, you might need to check carnival policys to see what you can get back. Lucky you have insurance, however your insurance policy might need to have some kind of cancel anytime feature if you want a full refund

Best to check with the company that you bought insurance from for answers to these questions. I know the insurance we usually buy that covers pre existing conditions would cover for this and would cover for both travelers. Doesn't matter how close to cruise time you are.

But you really should call the insurance company and find out how to file your claim and what is going to be covered.

Best of luck to you!

We are booked on the Carnival Miracle and it looks like we are going to need to cancel.

I did take out insurance that covers trip cancellation and pre existing since booked within time frame. I really want to go on the cruise but due to illness and need for ongoing treatment does not look like we will be able to go. Cruise is only a couple weeks away.

Question?? ANyone have experience with cruise cancellation, would we be refunded for both my husband and myself?-----Thanks in advance.---June

Your health and the health of your family are more important than the cruise. Our prayers go out to you for a speedy and complete recovery.

Check with the insurance company to make sure of your coverage.

I would suggest getting detailed documentation from your doctor that indicates you need to stay home for treatment and can not cruise. The more, the better.

This is a must ... the insurance company will require it. You need to contact the carrier immediately, since there's likely a form to be filled out (there always is) by your physician. We had a similar experience several years ago, and were reimbursed within three weeks ... and yes, our doctor had to submit a bunch of paperwork. Since you're apparently covered within the pre-existing condition limitations, it would appear that you're safe ... but every policy is different, so you'd need to discuss it with a company rep.

My sincere wishes for a successful outcome and a full recovery.

Al

We had to cancel a cruise last year due to my husband's illness. Two important things to keep in mind are the following.

1. Make sure your doctor agrees that you would be unable to travel due to medical reasons. Your doctor will be required to fill out paper work for the insurance company. It would be helpful if you were all on the same page.

2. Contact the cruise line and/or airline as soon as you find out that you absolutely will not be able to travel. One of the questions the insurance company asks is when did you and your doctor know you would not be cruising. They may not cover lost refunds because you did not cancel within a refund period. For example you knew you couldn't go eight weeks before the cruise but did not cancel until 2 days before the trip, or did not even notify the cruise line that you would not be sailing.

Also don't cancel a cruise because you just had a hunch that you would not be able to go. You will have to have medical verification that you were not able to cruise.

My husband was hospitalized 7 days before our cruise. Everyday we asked the doctors will he be able to go on the cruise. They did not give us a definate answer until 2 days before the cruise. He was still in the hospital until the morning we were supposed to leave. It took about 3 weeks for us to get our money back from the insurance company.

The cruiseline will refund taxes and prepaid gratuities. I am not sure about prepaid shore excursions, but I would assume so. The insurance covers the rest.

One more thing, we actually had to get a credit card statement proving that we paid for the cruise ourselves. So you may want to start looking for that documentation.

Yes the insurance will cover everybody included in the policy. We had 5 people.

I have had to cancel 2 cruises. The first time because my dad passed away 3 weeks earlier, the second one because my husband had knee surgery right before we were set to sail. I called the insurance company, they sent me forms to fill out, forms for the doctor to fill out, and proof of payment to the cruise company. Both times, I got a full refund (less the cost of the insurance) within a few weeks.

It was really a pain-free process.

I hope all works out for you and your family.

Archived