LIVE From the Oasis of the Seas - Sailing 17 September 2011 (Saturday)

Trainman-2

Thanks a million Jim. This gives Jon a clear picture of how we can arrange everything (his c-pap is probably twice + bigger than yours) and with the plug so handy -- even if we have to go to the other side of the bed -- this will save me from tripping over the cord heading for the bathrooom in the middle of night. And yes we do bring a night light but sometimes the eyes ain't really open. LOL

My CPAP is actually a Bi-PAP and I do nit travel with the humidifier so it is pretty small.

Ask Jon to check with this Doctor/supplier on getting a newer, more modern, and much smaller CPAP. Insurance companies treat them differently but they replaced mine with a new unit after 4 years and I gave my old on to my Doctor who passed it on to someonw without insurance.

The Bathroom has a built in, always on, night light that provides enough light for normal use and leaves some light coming our from under the door.

GRAPHICS Help Request

I know that Cozumel is an Island but I am not clear which side of the island the port is on and the relationship of the port to the island to the mainland of Mexico.

If anyone has something along this line, pleas post it to this thread.

Thanks...

GRAPHICS Help Request

I know that Cozumel is an Island but I am not clear which side of the island the port is on and the relationship of the port to the island to the mainland of Mexico.

Thanks...

This should help give you an idea where you are docked and where the mainland is.

Click the link below:http://www.travelnotes.cc/cruise/index.php

GRAPHICS Help Request

Thanks...

Hi Trainman,

Hope this helps:

cozumel.gif

Trainman,

I'll be on the oasis on Saturday with my fiancé and his family. It's my first royal Caribbean cruise and I have been really enjoying your review. Truth be told, I've been stalking it and your past oasis reviews (they had my same itinerary). I am so grateful for the info you have provided. Here's hoping I can at least partially return the favor.

I believe you dock in San Miguel, on the Western side:

cozumel-map.jpg

Here is a more fun map of the island, with the beaches highlighted. Note the cruise ship pier near Sunset Beach:

cozumel-map.gif

We are docked in Cozumel!

The Starboard (right) side of the ship is tied to the pier.

DSCN3724.jpg

DSCN3727.jpg

DSCN3728.jpg

These next two photos show the location of the life boats. The folks on the ship refer to the area that sticks out as the "Bulge" not the "Hump"

If you check the deck plans, the hall way outside out room is straight. On the ships with "Humps" the hallway actually curves out around the elevators.

DSCN3735.jpg

DSCN3736.jpg

Looking straight down from our balcony the water is a beautiful blue.

DSCN3737.jpg

We are off to the Windjammer and to check out the pier.

More later...

Do you suggest that I book ahead of time because the restaurants will be sold out or book when I get on the ship and use my onboard credit? Were the restaurants full?

If you want a particular time and/or day I would book ahead. Waiting until you are on board you may not be able to get a reservation.

Trainman-

Only two words can summarize your review, comments and photos:

TOTALLY AWESOME

Your postings have kept my spirits up this week as I was supposed to be sailing with RC but circumstances put a halt to that a couple of months ago. Even though I've never met them, or you, give a hug from Colorado to Judith and Rev

Tonight we Dined at 150 Central Park

DSCN3714.jpg

It is truly a Fine Dining Experience and I recommend it to everyone. However, it is unlike anything Judith or I, and probably most of you, have experienced.

It is a fixed, 7 course menu, with only one choice:

- Veal Tenderloin

- or

- Beef Tenderloin

The portions were small but interesting. Judith is not a fish person and didn't like the poached sea bass. I liked it. Everything else was pretty good.

They gave us souvenir menus which I will scan when I get home.

THose chairs sure are interesting. You are right. I don't think I've experiences anything quite like those before.

GOING ASHORE IN COZUMEL - THE FIRST ATTEMPT

A TOTAL & COMPLETE FAILURE! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My Frustration Meter Peaked at 100% and Wrapped Around The Peg!

I asked at Guest Relations this morning and was assured that they had Golf Carts available to take Handicapped People from the Ship to the Terminal.

We got down to the pier and there were no Golf Carts. They did have Wheel Chairs available with a designated pusher but I choose not to use them.

DSCN3748.jpg

So we turned around and headed back to the ship, probably a distance of 20 feet but the "Security Girl" wouldn't let us back on. People were swarming off both ramps. She could have called the guy at the top of the ramps on the radio and told him to close one ramp to outbound traffic, but "NO" she made us wait 16 minutes standing there until there was a slowdown in outbound traffic before she let us back on.

By then, there were about 20 people waiting.

Needless to say, I was upset!

I asked at Guest Relations this morning and was assured that they had Golf Carts available to take Handicapped People from the Ship to the Terminal.

We got down to the pier and there were no Golf Carts. They did have Wheel Chairs available with a designated pusher but I choose not to use them.

DSCN3748.jpg

So we turned around and headed back to the ship, probably a distance of 20 feet but the "Security Girl" wouldn't let us back on. People were swarming off both ramps. She could have called the guy at the top of the ramps on the radio and told him to close one ramp to outbound traffic, but "NO" she made us wait 16 minutes standing there until there was a slowdown in outbound traffic before she let us back on.

Sorry it was a bust. I would be very frustrated too, we are doing this route next month on Allure, and i am very thankful to you for all the info, as i have some mobility issues and so do my traveling companions. Is it a very long walk?

Thanks again Jim, and congrats to you and your bride!.

DSCN3748.jpg

Being a family thread, I won't use the words that I was *going* to use (it begins with the word "cluster"), but what a hassle. Am sorry that you had to go through this, Trainman ... it would *appear* that someone either from Port Security or from the ship dropped the ball on this one.

Michael

We were on Navigator in Feb, we were also told by Guest Relations that there was transport available from the ship to the shops in Cozumel. Luckily ?? my DH was not feeling well that morning and decided to stay on the ship as there was not any transport to be found and it is a VERY long pier. He never would have made that walk.

GOING ASHORE IN COZUMEL - THE SECOND ATTEMPT

SNATCHING VICTORY FROM THE JAWS OF STUPIDITY

SUCCESS, SWEET SUCCESS :D

We returned to our cabin, dropped off my cane, picked up the walkers and headed back down to the gangway. My "Big Guy" walker is too wide to pass one of the Cabin Attendant Carts so I had to lift it over the carts. Luckily I was still pumped full of adrenalin from the First Attempt so there was no problem.

We made it down to the gangway and off the ship. It took two rest stops to make it along the pier.

DSCN3751.jpg

DSCN3755.jpg

NOTE: The pavers on the pier are pretty as are all of the tiles and pavers in airports and other transportation terminals around the world. But they are a pain to push a walker along and they cause wear and tear on wheeled suitcases too.

The Shopping Area at the head of the pier has been spiffied up since I was last in Cozumel. They even had a large screen TV explaining all of their plans to get our money.

DSCN3756.jpg

I took Judith to the best store (according to me) and guarded the walkers while she shopped and I people watched.

When she returned with her "haul of the day" we posed for photos with the natives.

DSCN3757.jpg

By then the sky's had darkened and thunder was rumbling around so we headed back to the ship and arrived just before the rain did.

A successful shopping trip for Judith. I already had a Cozumel Refrigerator Magnet so I didn't get anything.

A Good Time Was Had By All!

Archived