Nautica Sea Days

Racdan

Booked on the Nautica 1st October from Istanbul, towards the end of the cruise we have two sea days , Malta and another sea day before we dock in Barcelona, can anyone tell me from their experience if there are lectures or any more activities on sea days. I am very happy relaxing with a good book but my husband does get a bit restless. We obviously knew the itinary when we booked and I did warn him, but he said he would be perfectly happy!! This is our first Oceana cruise and we are both looking forward the trip after reading some great reviews.

Racdan

Racdan

Booked on the Nautica 1st October from Istanbul, towards the end of the cruise we have two sea days , Malta and another sea day before we dock in Barcelona, can anyone tell me from their experience if there are lectures or any more activities on sea days. I am very happy relaxing with a good book but my husband does get a bit restless. We obviously knew the itinary when we booked and I did warn him, but he said he would be perfectly happy!! This is our first Oceana cruise and we are both looking forward the trip after reading some great reviews.

Racdan

Racdan

There are usually a number of activities on sea days from lectures to cooking demos, trivia, bingo, ping-pong and putting tournaments, etc.

He is not likely to be bored.

My experience has been that the features on sea days vary from ship to ship, from itinerary to itinerary.

But maybe your DH will be glad to know that I (and I know I'm not alone) started out not liking sea days, and I have come to love them! We're about to do a 12 day on Marina that only has one sea day and I am VERY disappointed.

I think there are more options on Marina, being a larger ship, than on Nautica ... but even in the days when I preferred a port visit to a sea day -- I found plenty to do on the "R" ships.

I love the library and I prayed for sunny sea days so that people would be out by the pool and leave me room in the library. When weather is iffy, they all tend to head for the library ...

And there was one cruise where a lady went up to the library every day, found the most comfortable armchair and promptly fell asleep ... AND SNORED!

Mura

O's cruises are usually port intensive. Absolutely our only criticism of our first O cruise in 2009, Istanbul to Rome, was we only had one sea day, and we came home exhausted from all the sightseeing.

Like Mura, we've come to cherish those sea days. Your husband will likely be fine at sea. If the onboard activities don't interest him the people probably will. O has such a broad spectrum of passengers, and most are well-travelled, interesting and friendly.

Mura, I can't understand why people didn't just "accidently" lose their sea legs and bump that snoring woman enough to wake her. I can only imagine how embarrassed she would have been to find out people thought of her in that way!

I guess we were just too "polite". There I was sitting right next to her, being driven nuts by the snoring, and it didn't occur to me to wake her up, whether accidentally or on purpose.

It did seem like she came to the library for her nap ... I never saw her actually reading. She did have a book on her lap, though ...

I guess we were just too "polite". There I was sitting right next to her, being driven nuts by the snoring, and it didn't occur to me to wake her up, whether accidentally or on purpose.

It did seem like she came to the library for her nap ... I never saw her actually reading. She did have a book on her lap, though ...

Maybe give her a more interesting book to read? :D

My experience has been that the features on sea days vary from ship to ship, from itinerary to itinerary.

But maybe your DH will be glad to know that I (and I know I'm not alone) started out not liking sea days, and I have come to love them! We're about to do a 12 day on Marina that only has one sea day and I am VERY disappointed.

I think there are more options on Marina, being a larger ship, than on Nautica ... but even in the days when I preferred a port visit to a sea day -- I found plenty to do on the "R" ships.

I love the library and I prayed for sunny sea days so that people would be out by the pool and leave me room in the library. When weather is iffy, they all tend to head for the library ...

And there was one cruise where a lady went up to the library every day, found the most comfortable armchair and promptly fell asleep ... AND SNORED!

Mura

Mura, I sure hope you're not talking about me. I go to the library almost every day on the TA cruises and I do pick a comfortable chair and I do kind of start dozing. So, if its me (and I'll be on the November TA on Marina) just kind of give me a shake.

Somehow I doubt it was you! Dozing is one thing and loud snoring is entirely another. I know that on the occasions when I snore I usually wake myself up!

And those chairs are so comfy that I can see dozing off.

But I do think if this happens again I will be more forceful! I do think that gently waking someone else is appropriate in this kind of situation.

Mura

The more sea days the better for us. Next year we are booked on SPLENDERS DOWN UNDER and there are I think 6 sea days .Like having breakfast and lunch out doors on the back patio.Then settling down on a lounge by the pool and have my shack at 3 pm lol.

I have been traveling with my mom on O since 2007. She is 82 and loves sea days. At first I didn't know how I would adapt to cruising. We are sailing on Regatta, my 10th O cruise, from LA to Papeete, in Dec. with many sail days and I am so excited to get back on Regatta. I love all my days aboard ship.

Booked on the Nautica 1st October from Istanbul, towards the end of the cruise we have two sea days , Malta and another sea day before we dock in Barcelona, can anyone tell me from their experience if there are lectures or any more activities on sea days.

Racdan

We have enjoyed several really fine lecturers on sea days on our Oceania cruises, including one historian who gave a talk about the importance of Malta in WWII. We found Valletta and the Maltese people fascinating, and a return visit there is one of the reasons we booked our next cruise; very few Oceania cruises visit Malta but our next one will.

For us, sea days also enable us to go to afternoon tea at 4 PM. And be sure to try the glorious scones with clotted cream and jam served then. On port days, being inveterate sightseers, we never are back on the ship in time to attend.

Archived