Please help. Very overwhelmed!

Alaska_2012

Our first cruise was to Alaska too, and we loved it, Made some mistakes along the way, but learned from them. We had an inside cabin the first time and this time we had a balcony. It was nice, but not necessary. An inside will save you some money. You will probably being going out on deck for the scenery anyways. The Infinity has some great outdoor spaces that you and your teens will enjoy. I agree with the others about renting a car in Skagway, we did that this time and it was great. Our timetable and our stops not waiting for others to board and de-board a bus was really nice. We also did our own at the Mendenhall glacier in Juneau, with 4 of you you might want to rent a car there too. So many possiblilities. Have fun planning your trip and ask your questions here. Lots of good information.

Thanks for all of your replies! I believe I hard narrowed it down between Celebrity Infinity and Princess (probably Golden Princess). Any opinions between these? Also, is Royal Caribbean a good choice?

We first went to Alaska in 2007 on the Infinity, and sailed out of Vancouver. I love this ship and would go again in a heartbeat, so would the rest of our family. The cruise was also wonderful, but the day we were supposed to go to Hubbard Glacier, we were unable to due to the large amount of ice in the water, so that was a bummer. Despite this, we have very fond memories of our Infinity cruise and beautiful photos.

This past summer we took the HAL Zuiderdam (review here), again out of Vancouver. I prefer this cruise over the Infinity due mostly to the amazing itinerary. We got to see Tracy Arm (but part of it only, review & pics here) in addition to the truly awesome Glacier Bay, and the port stops (Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan) were great too.

I agree with the other posters suggesting to choose the itinerary first. Alaska is so gorgeous and so much time is spent watching the scenery go by that I think the ship and its amenities are less important than on, say, a cruise to the Caribbean.

Thank you so much Coral and Boulders. I am so glad to hear that a balcony is not a necessity. It opens up so many more options; we won't have go on Carnival just so we can go. I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm learning so much!

I wouldn't base disqualifying a line on one person's say so. Sure, listen to them. But most often you'll find a good mix of good and bad reports.

My take on balconies is that if you want one, and it's in your budget, go for it. But skip the balcony if it will cause you to cut corners on good excursions. Given similar itineraries, I'd pick the ship with the affordable balcony. Then too, we love balconies period, so take that into consideration.

Thanks Big_Steve! I've actually found out today that my budget is more than I thought so I'm expanding my options. I really think we would enjoy a balcony so I'm going to go for it.

If you get a chance will you please take a look at my "Celebrity Century" thread and see what you think of the itinerary? Thanks!!

I posted this under the New Cruisers forum but thought I might get more responses here.

I am planning a trip to Alaska for my family of four (next July). My head is spinning from the choices and I really need some guidance . This will be out first cruise and I want to make the right decision.

From what I have read, it looks like Holland America and Princess are known for the best cruises to Alaska. I am hoping to book a stateroom with a balcony and it looks like the Princess may be out of our price range ($5736.00 for 7 nights :eek:).

The two I am looking at right now are, the Carnival Spirit and Holland America ms Oosterdam. Holland America is about $500 more than Carnival. Holland America comes in right at $5000 and I would like to not go over that if necessary. Like I said, Princess and also Celebrity are closer to $6000.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read and read and am still not any closer to a decision. I'm sure we will be happy which ever route we take. Not looking for a lot of entertainment, etc. We are really just interested in seeing what Alaska has to offer. Thanks so much! :D

We were on the Spirit in to Alaska in July and it was great. Alaska was amazing, beautiful scenery and we were lucky enough not to have rain the entire week. Had a great time on the Spirit. A great Naturalist on board that gave us lots of good information. I would do the Spirit again in a heart beat.:)

Edited by NYOB

NYOB, thanks for your reply. Every time I think I've made up my mind, something comes along to change it! It is good to hear positive reviews about the Spirit. I have read such mixed reviews on Carnival that I'm really confused. This will be our first cruise, so there is nothing to compare it to. I think I'll go take another look at the Spirit. :D

NYOB, thanks for your reply. Every time I think I've made up my mind, something comes along to change it! It is good to hear positive reviews about the Spirit. I have read such mixed reviews on Carnival that I'm really confused. This will be our first cruise, so there is nothing to compare it to. I think I'll go take another look at the Spirit. :D

The itinerary for the Spirit is one of the worst itineraries out there (especially next year). This would be my last choice.

I would spend some quality time reading before quickly booking something. Maybe check out a few books also (Alaska by Cruise ship is a good one).

Thanks, Coral. Believe me, I'm not rushing into any decisions. I'm just doing a lot of research and gleaning from everyones opinions. If you don't mind, would you tell me who has the iteneary you prefer of all the lines? Right now I'm looking at the Golden Princess that leaves from Vancouver and goes to Glaicer Bay. Also considering the Celebrity Century, which goes to Icy Straight Point, etc. Thank you!!

We were on the Spirit in to Alaska in July and it was great. Alaska was amazing, beautiful scenery and we were lucky enough not to have rain the entire week. Had a great time on the Spirit. A great Naturalist on board that gave us lots of good information. I would do the Spirit again in a heart beat.:)

NYOB what was the weather like? I know with Alaska it is a layer kind of climate but was just wondering what your experience was in July? I will be on the Spirit June 2012. Also, were any of the pools heated? My DD was wondering.

Thanks, Coral. Believe me, I'm not rushing into any decisions. I'm just doing a lot of research and gleaning from everyones opinions. If you don't mind, would you tell me who has the iteneary you prefer of all the lines? Right now I'm looking at the Golden Princess that leaves from Vancouver and goes to Glaicer Bay. Also considering the Celebrity Century, which goes to Icy Straight Point, etc. Thank you!!

Hi,

I am pretty sure the Golden Princess leaves out of Seattle. There may be one or two random sailings that leave out of Vancouver but I can't find them but I know in the past there has been a sailing that starts in Vancouver and ends in Seattle but it is a once in a season sailing.

You will want to look at if you want to leave out of Seattle or Vancouver. Seattle is usually cheaper to fly into but some argue Vancouver sailings are a tad more scenic. Regardless of what you do - make sure you fly in the night before for your cruise so you will need to plan for a hotel stay. Vancouver is more expensive for hotels. You can take a shuttle or rent a car into Vancouver from Seattle. Look at the hours of the days in port and hopefully that will help you decide. You most likely will have better hours in port from sailings out of Vancouver but if it costs that much more - you will need to evaluate which is more important.

I personally like one way cruises from Vancouver to Whittier or Seward (with Anchorage as the airport) but air can be very pricey that way so you will need to decide if you want one way cruises or round trip. If you are not doing land, you will probably want to do round trip.

You will want to cruise to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier to get a good glacier experience. Cruise ships almost always get into Glacier Bay. This year, ships periodically could not get into Hubbard Glacier. On my first cruise with Hubbard Glacier, we were iced out and missed Hubbard and our only glacier experience. It was disappointing as that was the only time my mom got to Alaska and she missed the glacier. This is why I like one way cruises as they often have more then one glacier day. Sometimes the RT out of Vancouver will do Glacier Bay with Tracy Arm also - this is beneficial out of Vancouver. I think Glacier Bay is a safer bet (as ships always make it there) but if it works out best for Hubbard, hopefully the ship will make it.

Glacier Bay is a National Park and the entire day cruising through there is gorgeous. There are smaller glaciers through out the day and at the end there are 2 large glaciers. Hubbard has one very large glacier with typically more calving. So while the whole day is not as spectatular, the glacier is larger and can be more dramatic. It is a toss up which people prefer but your chances of getting into Glacier Bay are higher.

If your only glacier day is Tracy Arm - I would avoid this cruise. Not that Tracy Arm isn't beautiful but it is more of a twisty type fiord (think valley) with smaller glaciers at the end. Because it is twisty and often full of ice, ships rarely get a good view of the glaciers at the end. Often they have to turn back before even viewing the glacier. Why I said Carnival Spirit would be my least desirable is that only one or two itineraries (beginning and maybe end of season) go to Glacier Bay and the rest go to Tracy Arm. And on top of that, I have heard they are maybe switching that to Endicott Arm. If Tracy Arm is a 2nd glacier day that is fine.

RCCL and Celebrity do not have access to permits to Glacier Bay - they have been locked out of the permit process and only 2 ships per day can go here. So if you want to go to Glacier Bay, you will need to do one of the few sailings with Carnival (one or two per year), Princess, Holland or NCL. Some more expensive lines may go there also but I know cost is a consideration.

You had asked about a balcony earlier. While it is convenient - the best place to be on scenic days in out on deck so you can see everything. So if you have to make a decision on balcony cabin and fewer shore excursions or inside cabin and more shore excursions - I would go with an inside cabin. There is always deck viewing areas to watch whatever you want. Since this is your first cruise - I would look into prices of 2 cabins if you have 2 teens. An inside cabin with 2 adults and 2 teens is going to be too tight for comfort IMO. Sometimes it works out that it is not that more expensive to put the teens in a nearby cabin then pay the 3rd and 4th rate. Whichever ship you decide - look at pictures of what cabins look like for 4. For example - if you do put 4 people in a cabin on Princess, I would strongly recommend a minisuite. I would still think a balcony and inside or two insides would be better.

If it was me - I would stick with HAL or Princess. I don't have experience with NCL to make an opinion. If you are looking at round trip - The Golden Princess out of Seattle and HAL Westerdam out of Seattle or the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver have the better itineraries as they all include Glacier Bay. The Zuiderdam also as Tracy Arm as a 2nd glacier day.

Sticking with the idea that you are doing round trip - RCCL Radiance only goes to Tracy Arm. Looking at Celebrity Infinity - they also only do Tracy Arm. I would dismiss both of these as if this is your only time going to Alaska - you would miss out by not having a Glacier. The Celebrity Millennium only does one RT cruise which leaves the Century. Though it does go to Icy Strait but skips Skagway - so look at both of those ports and see which interests you more.

If you are interested in one way cruises - I can provide info on those but I think you are probably better off doing a RT cruise. Hopefully this helps some. I am sure some will disagree with me and maybe someone can provide more info on NCL.

Thank you, thank you! Coral, so much great info. I really do appreciate you taking the time to write all of that. Yes, I did mistype about the Golden Princess leaving from Vancouver. I've looked at way too make ships! Anyway, I truly appreciate it.

Just took a look at the Westerdam and I have a question. I see that to does not go to Skagway. I had really hoped to the train there. It does however go to Sitka, which I have read many people enjoy. What would be your preference? Thanks! Lauren

Edited by Alaska_2012
Add a question

Just took a look at the Westerdam and I have a question. I see that to does not go to Skagway. I had really hoped to the train there. It does however go to Sitka, which I have read many people enjoy. What would be your preference? Thanks! Lauren

I have not yet made it to Sitka :( But I am huge into Russian history and I have been told I would love it.

This is why everyone says "every decision is a compromise of some sort".

That is very true. I really believe we would enjoy the train ride so I am leaning heavily towards the Golden Princess for 7/7. We can leave from Seattle, ride the train in Skagway and see Glacier Bay. Seems like we would get in everything we want. I can't tell you how much your post helped. :D

I've taken the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver twice and highly recommend the itinerary and ship. First big plus is you get the gorgeous inside passage the first and last days...in very calm water.

You also get to cruise through Tracy Arm (spectacular scenery!!) before docking in Juneau. Even if you can't get all the way up Tracy Arm to the glacier, it will be a highlight of your trip. My first trip in May 2009, we got all the way to the glacier, this year, in July, we didn't get that far.

You get really long port times in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan....enough to do a couple of excursions in each. :D

You also get the unparalled beauty of spending a whole day cruising in Glacier Bay National Park.

There is not a day wasted where you will just be "at sea" so you'll have 7 full days of spectacular scenery. It's a fantastic 7-day round trip itinerary and I will probably do it again next year.

The most important things to consider in choosing an Alaska cruise are the itinerary and port times. An Alaska cruise is a very expensive trip and you want to make sure you get as much bang for your buck as possible....and that means seeing as much of the Great Land as you can.

I'm sure whichever cruise you decide on taking, you'll have the time of your life. Alaska is an unbelievable place that will grab your heart and soul like you never expected. Enjoy!!

I've taken the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver twice and highly recommend the itinerary and ship. First big plus is you get the gorgeous inside passage the first and last days...in very calm water.

FYI - there is no guarantee of calm waters sailing into Vancouver. Some of my rockiest sailings have been into Vancouver (not Seattle). It can be calm or it can be rough into either Seattle or Vancouver.

After saying that - I think the Zuiderdam is a good choice if they go out of Vancouver. I think the Golden Princess is a good choice out of Seattle. They need to weigh airfare, the cost of a hotel room (if you are flying - definitely fly in the night before) and then determine the best itinerary. I agree that having Tracy Arm in addition to Glacier Bay is a bonus but I also like Victoria which the Golden Princess has (even if it is at night). Both are good choices.

Edited by Coral

Thanks, DizzyDallasDi. I am looking right now at the Zuiderdam and I really like the itinerary. I think it is between this and the Golden Princess. Both go to Glacier Bay and both go to Skagway. I guess the difference is HAL goes to Tracy Arm and Princess goes to Victoria. Just more to think about. Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks for your help! On the other thread someone said they'd rather have an inside room on another ship than a balcony room on Carnival. That may be rethink everything. I could definitely swing an inside room on Celebrity or Princess. Should I sacrifice the balcony for the nicer line?

I really appreciate your time!

just some input about Carnival, I have done carnival balcony and oceanview. I have no complaints about either room. With that said I am planning my first Alaska cruise on Princess :)

I'm not sure about princess, but HAL has wrap around promenade deck. As interior cabin tenants by choice, that is important to us. We have also liked j cabins on the rotterdam class ship ( volendam, Amsterdam) as they are large and give us quick access to the lower promenade deck.). I can't imagine sailing on one of the ships that does not have a full promenade deck and an open bow. For us they are requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

Coral Princess has wrap around deck, Promenade, deck 7. Small area in fore section not open to air, but deck does make a complete oval. Great for laps ;) Plus you can get into open bow area on decks 10 and 11, especially enjoyed while viewing Hubbard Glacier and in Glacier Bay.

Edited by JoRoy218