Lahaina Excursion Help Needed

ShawninFL

We will be on Celebrity Century one way from San Diego to Honolulu in November. I am looking for some advice on what to do in Lahaina. We will be spending three days on Maui post cruise and plan to do the Road to Hana and Haleakala during this time where we won't have any time constraints.

We plan on renting a car in Lahaina and I was looking at possibly visiting Iao Vally State Park. Would this good day trip excursion? Is it worth visiting? Is it enough to fill the day or is there something else we can add to the trip? Or is there something else someone recommends doing instead of this. Looking for advice. We are both right around 40 years old; however major hiking is not a possibility.

Thanks

Shawn

We plan on renting a car in Lahaina and I was looking at possibly visiting Iao Vally State Park. Would this good day trip excursion? Is it worth visiting?

Thanks

Shawn

Iao Valley is interesting enough and Wailuku is the County Seat and has an interesting church, an "old" town but I would not say that your whole day will be spent there. Depending on traffic, it would take about 40 minutes or so from Lahaina to Wailuku and Iao Valley.

We will be on Celebrity Century one way from San Diego to Honolulu in November. I am looking for some advice on what to do in Lahaina. We will be spending three days on Maui post cruise and plan to do the Road to Hana and Haleakala during this time where we won't have any time constraints.

We plan on renting a car in Lahaina and I was looking at possibly visiting Iao Vally State Park. Would this good day trip excursion? Is it worth visiting? Is it enough to fill the day or is there something else we can add to the trip? Or is there something else someone recommends doing instead of this. Looking for advice. We are both right around 40 years old; however major hiking is not a possibility.

Thanks

Shawn

For your day in Lahaina during the cruise, one of the options would be to go to Iao Valley. It's a 45 minute drive & is part of the 2nd wettest spot in the world...the West Maui mountains...2nd only to Mt. Waialeale on Kauai so you could get a light shower. To get to the best viewing spot it's a short hike on a asphalt covered pathway which gets steep at the end. Although you can see it without without a climb a short distance from the parking lot. There is a $5 entrance fee but it's not really enough for a whole day...probably more like 30 minutes or so.

The Maui Oceancenter in Ma'alea is closer if you like to go to an aquarium & on a hot day it's mostly inside an airconditioned building so very comfortable.

Even if you don't leave the West Maui area around Lahaina, there are plenty of things to do. But since I don't know what you like to do (shop, dine, snorkel, beach, etc.), I won't go into all of those options.

One word of caution from a part-time Maui resident who has been fortunate to have spent a lot of time there during the past 3 decades, the 2 lane road from West Maui to the remainder of the island is subject to traffic delays. So remember that even without an accident or brush fire affecting traffic, there can be delays returning to the ship. If there is an incident, it can be closed for hours & being the only real option to return, it could mean watching the ship sail without you. I'm not trying to scare you but it can happen so just wanted to mention it to you.

Maui's a great island & the Hawaiian's have always said Maui No Ka Oi...Maui Is The Best...and I agree. Glad that you'll have those extra days so you'll have more time to explore the Valley Isle...Aloha! :D

Archived