Pregnant on board question

B_Mc

It looks like I'll be about 20 weeks pregnant for our trip, so I know I need a Dr's note and to fill out medical info.

Just wondering if anyone has done this with RCI and if you have any tips/advice.

Also, specifically for Canadians, anyone submit a note from a midwife? Would they accept that?

I'll be in my 20th week next month when we sail too. We are doing b2b's on Celebrity and Carnival. Carnival seems to actually have a form but the other lines just want a note from your provider stating that you are fit to travel, it is pregnancy w/o complication, how many weeks you are and your due date. I don't see why they wouldn't accept a midwife.... that is your health care provider. I'm not sure I'd take the chance though. I think I would call the cruise line direct to be on the safe side. The alternative is to be denied boarding or have to make a hasty fax.

Pretty much the only thing I'm finding is that many excursions are either prohibited or not recommended for pregnant women. It looks like it will be a very easy cruise.

I cruised when I was 21 weeks pregnant and I got the Dr's note with me but when we checked in I forgot the tell them im pregnant so I never give them my note LOL. I don't think you'll have a problem with the note from your midwife.

Hopefully you don't get morning sickness anymore, I actually lost weight during that cruise I got a really bad morning sickness and couldn't eat:)

Congratulations!

I would be surprised it they knowingly took a note from a midwife, but either way I'd agree it makes sense to find out from the horses mouth, so to speak. It appears that RCCL actually wants the form in advance:

Royal Caribbean International cannot accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the beginning of, or at any time during the cruise or cruisetour. A physician's "Fit to Travel" note is required prior to sailing, stating how far along (in weeks) your pregnancy will be at the beginning of the cruise and confirming that you are in good health and not experiencing a high-risk pregnancy. The "Fit to Travel" note should be faxed to the Access Department at 1-954-628-9622. Please contact us at 1-866-592-7225 or at special_needs@rccl.com if you have already booked a cruise or cruisetour and do not meet this requirement.

Going that route might allow you to confirm you are good to go in advance, though I don't know what you'd do if they tell you "no go" a week out and you don't have a doctor to go to.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and for the congrats!

I am aware they want it in advance which is why I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this, how easy it was, any bumps they hit, etc.

I guess I'll just go back to my Dr to be on the safe side....*sigh* one more thing on the to do list!

Hi - I cruised on Celebrity and was right at the limit - was 24 weeks pregnant the day after the cruise ended. I had a Doctors note and gave it to the person at check in - she had no idea what to do with it and just gave it back to me without opening it.

I have since read on Celebrity's website that they ask you to fax your Doctors note to them in advance (was buried away in the FAQ section) - may well be the same with RCL

Enjoy your cruise! My son is now 8 months and off on his first cruise next week!

Julie Jean

Cruising while pregnant, YMMV.

We did it while my wife was~ 26-28 week , yup pretty late by today's standards :eek: with our third. She did great with the first two, and let me say each is different and nobody can predict how things go nor predict based on how the first part goes how the goes later. Cruise didn't go badly, but she did get ill and got an eye infection, the doctors onboard wouldn't touch her or give her a thing and that was decades ago.

The issue with doctor or note aside only you can weigh the many possibilities and choices.

Cruising while pregnant, YMMV.

We did it while my wife was~ 26-28 week , yup pretty late by today's standards :eek: with our third. She did great with the first two, and let me say each is different and nobody can predict how things go nor predict based on how the first part goes how the goes later. Cruise didn't go badly, but she did get ill and got an eye infection, the doctors onboard wouldn't touch her or give her a thing and that was decades ago.

The issue with doctor or note aside only you can weigh the many possibilities and choices.

I don't even know what YMMV means but I'm not asking for your recommendations about cruising or not cruising - I'm going. I'm looking for feedback about submitting the Dr's note. Did your wife do that?

• 3 weeks later...

I cruised at 20 weeks last year and they had asked for a doctor's note in advance. Our fax machine got messed up and it was never sent. However we had a hard copy to bring to the ship. When we gave them the note, they hardly even looked, just tossed it in the pile with the rest of our paperwork.

Oh I was seeing a midwife as well. She just typed up about 3 sentences saying my due date, how far along I was and that I was in good health to participate in all activities. Signed...dated...no big deal.

I didn't even look pregnant at the time and did everything except 1 spa treatment and a canopy tour I couldn't participe. Took it easy on a hike and walking through towns too. Oh and drank TONS of water, careful not to get dehydrated.

Congrats to you and have a good cruise.

I'm cruising later this month at 19 weeks pregnant. While I'm on a different cruise line (NCL) they did accept a note from my midwife. My note was similar to what another poster stated: due date, how far along I'll be when I cruise, and that I'm in good health and fit to travel. I scanned it and emailed it and received an email back stating that I was clear to travel and to bring the original letter with me. So I would suggest that before you go to your doctor to get a note (since if it's anything like mine, you have to pay just to get a note), contact RCI with a letter from your midwife and see if that's acceptable.

I just got off a cruise a few weeks ago, during our cruise I was 23 weeks pregnant. I faxed my doctor's note to RCI before sailing and I didn't hear anything from them. I took the note with me just in case they wanted to see it but no one asked, so I didn't say anything.

I was about 20 some weeks along on my preggers cruise. That was back in 1997 and they weren't requesting these notes back then. At least I didn't see anything in the Carnival literature, and we always read the info very carefully before every cruise.

But I did ask my OB-GYN about booking this cruise and he was very thumbs up about it as I was in excellent health (I was surprised it wasn't a high risk pregnancy despite being over 40 at that time -- but apparently many older women tend to have healthy pregnancies, I found out -- didn't even have morning sickness during the first trisemester). The only problem I had is that I lost a crown a week before and had to rush in for a new one. The temp kept popping off (my dentist said temps are hard to keep on when pregnant) so I had to watch what I ate during the cruise. My tablemates weren't even aware of my condition until I was offered a glass of wine which of course I turned down with a witty comment (they apparently hadn't seen me in my maternity bathing suit).

It was only a three-day cruise but a relaxing one. So if you're in good health, why not go for it.

I cruised while pregnant... twice! Once was at 22-24 weeks (got off the ship the day I was 24 weeks) and once was at 8-10 weeks. In both cases I had a doctor's note, which no one glanced at. However back then I wasn't required to file it in advance.

Make sure to have your doctor/midwife add to the note that you are OK to fly on an airplane as well (if that's applicable). You never know what kind of issue you might get into, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Onboard, my biggest suggestion is to bring a waterproof thermometer! I love hot tubs, and my OB said I could go in one as long as the temperature was below 100 F. So I went around the ship with my little thermometer, and sure enough, found two that were about 98 F... right at body temeprature! I think they do this on purpose for many of the older people with heart conditions who can't be in a very 'hot' tub. Even if you don't want to get into hot tubs, enjoy the pools! When you're feeling big and heavy, it's nice to have that 'weightless' sensation that comes from floating in water, plus it's no-impact exercise!

Also, make sure you tell your waiter that you are pregnant, as well as any food restrictions you might have (e.g. no alcohol, no unpasturized cheeses, etc.). The waiter will be able to guide you in your menu selections. If there's something your'e dying to eat and it has an ingredient you can't have, making a special request a day in advance will probably get it for you.

A warning about milk... I'm very picky with milk. It has to be skim/fat free and ice cold. Onboard ship, I often had difficulty finding skim milk, and when I did, it was usually warmish (I find that people outside North America like their milk at warmer temperatures, and this is what the cruise ships I was on were adhering to). So be prepared to be very specific if you order milk (say, in the dining room)... unless you like room-temperature 2% or homo/whole milk, that is!

Lastly... enjoy the neverending food! Yes, you can snack to your heart's content on pretty much anything you want at all hours of day. You won't get that same service at home, let me tell you! ;)

Congratulations, and have a great cruise!

For those of you who never showed the doctor's note, were any of you on Carnival since they put in the "have to send it in advance" rule? I'll be 21 weeks with our first on the day we get on the boat. Given that it is my first (I hear you show later with your first) and I don't look at all pregnant (yet), I'm wondering if anyone would even notice if I never divulged it. I don't want to be held back for the entire time on our first cruise. I was planning to bring the form with me (if I can even get it to download off of their site), but not handing it over unless asked. :confused:

SnappySuzy, don't risk your cruise. Is there some reason you just can't send the completed form in advance?

No reason (beyond not being able to download it from their site for some reason). The "good girl" side of me is telling me to get the form (somehow) and have it filled out and sent in. I just don't want to be shut out of doing anything at all just because I'm pregnant. Although I suppose that's one reason to book excursions not through the cruise line (since I'd like to go snorkeling and know that CCL says no to that and just about everything else if you are pregnant).

Book private excursions and complete the form or you could be denied boarding. From Carnival's webpage:

All expectant Guests further agree to provide Carnival, prior to embarkation, with a physician's statement verifying that her gestational status is in accordance with this policy, and certifying her fitness to travel even if she will be less than twenty-four completed weeks pregnant upon disembarkation. Failure to do so shall result in the cancellation of the Guest's reservation without refund, compensation or payment except as set forth in Carnival's cancellation policy described in Clause 6, based on the timing of such cancellation.

Book private excursions and complete the form or you could be denied boarding. From Carnival's webpage:

All expectant Guests further agree to provide Carnival, prior to embarkation, with a physician's statement verifying that her gestational status is in accordance with this policy, and certifying her fitness to travel even if she will be less than twenty-four completed weeks pregnant upon disembarkation. Failure to do so shall result in the cancellation of the Guest's reservation without refund, compensation or payment except as set forth in Carnival's cancellation policy described in Clause 6, based on the timing of such cancellation.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm such a novice with, well, all of it. I'll figure out somewhere to get the form and take care of it. I appreciate your help.

EDIT: Just in case any other CCL people are looking for the form, it took tons of creative Googling, but I finally found it. http://www.carnival.com/cms/Images/Funpass/Pregnancy_letter.pdf

I will also be around 19 weeks pregnant when traveling on our RCL cruise. I also have diabetes and am on insulin. I know my TA put this info on our reservation and when I go to the OB next week, I will get a letter stating I am safe to travel. RCL has a number where I can fax it to.

This is my 2nd cruise pregnant. I did Disney when I was just 6 weeks with my first child and no one really even knew. I did notify Disney ahead of time so there wasn't an issue but I was so early I wasn't even showing.

Archived