Grand Cayman prices

Cigar Dude

I've said this in threads before, but I think it bears saying again.

I don't mind that Cayman is expensive. I know I can eat the food and drink the water without getting sick. I know I can see the sights without getting mugged or hassled by drug dealers. I know I can enjoy the gorgeous beaches without being pestered by beach vendors.

I'd rather pay that $125 for dinner, knowing that I can safely walk home afterwards and knowing that I won't spend the next three days sick as a dog. To me, that's worth the expense. Yes, there's cheaper islands, but none as safe and friendly, IMO...

Then just don't read the island news from the last week. :(

Been reading it. :eek: That's all in the side streets in West Bay, night-time, and pretty targeted, as far as I can tell from the papers. I'm generally out at Rum Point, and I'm virtually never there on a holiday weekend, so it's pretty quiet. If I'm in town, it's usually shopping or around the Camana Bay/SMB areas, so no worries.

No matter how safe I feel, there's still common sense in action. Unfortunately, you can't escape having to deal with at least some violence or bad behaviour, no matter where you live. That's just a sign of the times, sadly enough...

That's disturbing. I hope they get this resolved. I can see why people that live there are so up in arms. It sounds like they are robbing places also during the day. I would have no worries being part of a group going here and there, but when we were there in the spring ... we did scoot in and out of the Caribbean Bakery pretty quickly. I think it had been robbed the week before. It sounds like they know who these people are, and those that know more should come forward. What draws us to GC is the safety of the place. We'll still visit, but the authorities have got to nip this stuff in the bud!! Thanks for sharing this info, Drew. You still live in paradise and I am SO jealous!! :)

We booked through Captain Marvins, and they do offer a tour with lunch, unfortunately its all seafood, and I dislike seafood, any kind of seafood, but we'll still enjoy the other tour and although we have been to Cayman twice already, our older sons havent been so we may end up stopping for some of their very expensive food after all :rolleyes:

Which tour did you do with Capt. Marvin?

Grand Cayman has always been expensive (I'd heard this before, during and after my first cruise there in 2006). I knew that going in, but boy, those buckets of beer really do add up! :D

I guess you just have to decide what it is you want out of your experience there, and budget for that.

Wow, bookbabe. What you said and the way you said it. Got to at least give you points for honesty.

Archived