Coverage for Airline Strike

cathy82

We leave this Saturday on a flight to join our cruise. The airline has received a strike notice, which is covered. I am uncertain, however, as to what to do about the flight. It has not been cancelled yet, so if I book another flight now the cost may not be covered. I think I will wait to see what the airline does before cancelling, but I am afraid to wait to book another flight because the cost is likely to go up considerably as the flight day approaches. As it is we are 6 days way. We have Travelguard Gold. Has anyone had experience with a situation like this?

Flying in and out of Montreal. We do have passports. We are flying in to Rome 2 days before Cruise, where we have made some non-refundable arrangements. We live in US and my back up plan is to book leaving from US on a non-direct flight on Saturday.

Hmmm... that's a toughie. If you have the funds, maybe book a fully-refundable backup ticket now (this WILL be $$$$), and then you'll have it available if the strike occurs. Finding flights between the US and Rome shouldn't be difficult at all. If you can get yourself to JFK, you'll have more flight options than you know what to do with.

If the strike happens, IMMEDIATELY call TravelGuard and they will connect you with one of their (very competent) travel agents. See what the agent can do for you re-booking. If he/she can't find another seat, (or the one they find is more expensive) have them send you a quick e-mail confirming the lack of availibility, (or their pricing) and then you can fly on your backup ticket you've already booked and file a claim with TravelGuard for the difference between the two flights.

If they find a flight for cheaper, (or the strike doesn't happen) simply cancel (for a full refund) your backup.

We leave this Saturday on a flight to join our cruise. The airline has received a strike notice, which is covered. I am uncertain, however, as to what to do about the flight. It has not been cancelled yet, so if I book another flight now the cost may not be covered. I think I will wait to see what the airline does before cancelling, but I am afraid to wait to book another flight because the cost is likely to go up considerably as the flight day approaches. As it is we are 6 days way. We have Travelguard Gold. Has anyone had experience with a situation like this?

Insurance does not cover what MIGHT happen. It covers what HAS happened. If you buy another ticket now but your original flight takes off as planned you have no recourse against the insurer. You're taking on the risk of having a ticket you can't use.

Insurance does not cover what MIGHT happen. It covers what HAS happened. If you buy another ticket now but your original flight takes off as planned you have no recourse against the insurer. You're taking on the risk of having a ticket you can't use.

You make a good point. If I decide to book another flight before mine is cancelled, I realize I will have to absorb the additional cost. This is not a fun position to be in.

Just a thought here, I am no expert but wonder if AC has indicated any willingness to rebook you on their code-share partner from Montreal, Lufthansa or even LH from Boston or NY? AC does have several Code share partners that they could try to rebook their passengers on. I have no idea if they are doing that or not. Another suggestion, monitor the Canadian on-line media to look for updates on the negotiations. ie www.thestar.ca or www.theglobeandmail.com The last artilce I read indicated if there was no deal today, and so far I see none, the government was going to call in both sides to discuss. Not sure any of this is any help, good luck.

Archived