How long does it take to serve Dinner?

anniegb

I ask this question because when I sailed Royal earlier this year, dinner service took upwards of 3 hours.

I normally eat a max of 2 courses - so that is a very long slow process. Thinking I might be better using room service or buffet if serving times are similar on Celebrity.

Thanks

Annie

Sounds like you had second seating. First seating never takes that long since they have to get you out and the room set up for new people. I have had some second seating meals take 2 hours and 45 minutes. Sometimes the problem is with your dinner companions. Depending on how the delay happens, you may want to change tables or have a polite conversation with the waiter.

Sounds like you had second seating. First seating never takes that long since they have to get you out and the room set up for new people. I have had some second seating meals take 2 hours and 45 minutes. Sometimes the problem is with your dinner companions. Depending on how the delay happens, you may want to change tables or have a polite conversation with the waiter.

Good answer! I have seen tables eat and leave ( always do late Traditional) in an hour and a half or less. Ours usually runs a good two hours plus since we enjoy the time and conversation with our tablemates.

Would suggest also that you get a table for two and tell your waiter you would like to eat at a quicker pace.

Your waiter can do all sorts of things to speed things up -- first, if he/she knows that you will only eat two courses, that can be arranged, so that even if others at your table are eating four course, you'll get yours first. I have often told my waiter that I need to be done in one hour (to catch a special show) and there's been very little problem with that. You'll miss out on some of the fancier desserts, such as crepes suzette and cherries jubilee, perhaps, but otherwise should have no problem. (They don't make them up until shortly before service)

Good answer! I have seen tables eat and leave ( always do late Traditional) in an hour and a half or less. Ours usually runs a good two hours plus since we enjoy the time and conversation with our tablemates.

Would suggest also that you get a table for two and tell your waiter you would like to eat at a quicker pace.

Agree about the table for two. We had select dining and found that on a large table the meal took much longer, so if we were in a hurry we asked for a table for two. When you are on a large table you have to wait for everyone to finish each course even if you are not ordering each one.

If you request a table for 2 and don't get it, talk to the Maitre d' as soon as you get on the ship and ask to change (and explain why). No guarantees, but often works.

Or you can just do Select Dining which will make getting a table for 2 easier.

You might consider upgrading/booking Aqua class. Tables for 2 are a cert, and better service and ambience than the MDR in IMO . We have always found the staff most helpful with my wife's dietary requirements, and you can have dinner anytime between 6pm and 9.30pm.

Richard

If you request a table for 2 and don't get it, talk to the Maitre d' as soon as you get on the ship and ask to change (and explain why). No guarantees, but often works.

Or you can just do Select Dining which will make getting a table for 2 easier.

Thanks everyone.

Select Dining is not even waitlisted.

Aqua Class - too expensive just to be able to eat dinner quicker.

If it doesn't work out, I'll use the buffet.

Annie

On our last cruise we had a table for two (traditional dining and first seating) and as we do not always get dessert we were often finished with dinner in 45 minutes. Our waiter figured out pretty early that we did not want to spend alot of time in the dining room. When we were at a large table on our prior transatlantic, it often did take 2.5 hours to finish eating.

Annie, you should find that the waiters are very eager to make your dinner experience just what you want -- have a word with the waiter on the first night, tell him your expectations and I'm sure you'll find that the waitstaff will do everything they can to please you. Enjoy!

Thanks - I am sure everything will work out.

Annie

Isn't the idea of a nice meal to be served nice and slowly giving you time to enjoy / digest your food and engage your table mates in conersation with maybe a nice glass of wine ? If you want a quick dinner I would stick to the buffet.

Archived