Photo Management Software?

Colorado Kat

If you buy a new computer it will come with Windows 7 installed and it is a single license so it can only be used on that computer. Your netbook probably can't use Windows 7 because the netbook doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the OS. Windows 7 needs more power to run than most netbooks have. Windows ME (millenium edition) was the short-lived OS between XP and Vista.

Windows 7 Starter is a lighter version of Win7 that works fine on netbooks. It came pre-installed on my Acer AspireOne.

I upped the RAM to 2GB for about $22 to perk it up and am happy with the performance.

Dave

Windows 7 Starter is a lighter version of Win7 that works fine on netbooks. It came pre-installed on my Acer AspireOne.

I upped the RAM to 2GB for about $22 to perk it up and am happy with the performance.

Dave

Come to think of it, I do remember seeing that on some of the netbooks. :oThanks for reminding me of it. Can you buy the Starter version or is it just available already installed?

Dave

I have an Acer AspireOne circa 2009 with XP. I really like the computer. I wonder if I can change it to Windows 7 Starter version?

Actually, Windows ME came before XP. It was very short lived.

Mmmm....caught me again!:o It seems that I have had at least one computer with each operating system since the demise of DOS and the introduction of Windows. I thought that I might be wrong when I posted it but didn't bother to check. I figured someone would catch it if I was wrong. I thought that you could view pix in Windows Explorer with ME but not XP. I guess I was wrong there too. I suppose it was Vista that first added that feature. BTW, ME deserved to be short-lived. It was terrible!

Come to think of it, I do remember seeing that on some of the netbooks. :oThanks for reminding me of it. Can you buy the Starter version or is it just available already installed?

You can upgrade to Win 7 by putting a copy of the installation DVD on a USB drive. Home Premium will install and run on 2 GB of RAM very nicely. If formatting a USB drive to boot and install is too fiddly for your taste, an external USB DVD drive is a good alternative and a useful investment for netbook owners.

Here's the MS page for Win 7 / Netbook info.

Dave

Archived