Coco Cay Jellyfish bloom

cdamion

Just an FYI for RCI folks heading to Coco Cay soon:

Just back from Majesty today. There is a pretty big jellyfish bloom going on at Coco Cay right now. We snorkeled there and my girlfriend got nervous and headed back in. I stayed out a bit longer, but the further I got out the bigger and more numerous the jellyfish got. Finally, when I ran into a wall of them I couldn't figure out a way through, I decided to head back in.

My girlfriend was stung twice and one of our table mates was stung also. They said it wasn't pleasant, but wasn't as bad as a bee sting and actually went away after about 45 mins - an hour.

I will post a trip report soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, they are very large and while I would love to see them up close I do not think I would want to swim with them. We will be there Thanksgiving week and love to snorkle so hopefully the seas will be clear of them.

Linda

They can really hurt...folks wanting to go in the water despite them, may want to bring some meat tenderizer with you...that will sort of counteract the sting. Ammonia is said to help, too, but that's nothing you'd want to bring on a ship! (Or, you can do what Chandler did to Monica on "Friends"!)

I was there right after Irene went through, and there was an infestation like none other. They were all over, you had to be very careful about you walked as well. The tide went out and they were beached all over. We took a walk around most of the island, and they were everywhere we went. We were lucky and had just a couple of "grazes" but no full on stings.

Archived