Gps

mrbill62

I have a gizmo that attaches to the hot shoe of my camera to record location in the image file metadata.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GGBGNM/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

In my gallery, you can then pull up Google Map of the exact location the picture was taken.

Now this is a great idea! My DH is a camera freak and would love this for a Christmas gift, but he has a Nikon and a Canon. Wish there was one that worked on both cameras.

Yep, what SCUBA Mark said. My wife and I love to go geocaching in the places we cruise.

I also try to keep it with me every time I'm on deck, so I can have a cool track log to download onto Google Earth.

Me three on the geocaching.

I've found that there are always enough satellites "visible" from an oceanview window to give a good XY plot, though the vertical can be wa-ay off... at one point I noticed that our elevation was -(minus!)242 feet (:eek:) on the Riviera Deck. Didn't realize the Fascination was a submarine... ;)

The reason i bring mine, is that its used on the trip from home while driving my vehicle. When i get to the pier It goes on ship with me to keep it from being stolen from vehicle in event it may happen, along with my XM radio, it goes onboard as well. Even if its not used. GPS does great on showing ships speed and general direction. But is usless in most of the island ports, I used it in St Marteen to locate the airport while i had a rental car. Didnt work since it didnt have a map of st marteen programmed into it.

In the event if it ever got stolen, its password protected and my "home" button is programmed not for my house, but for the Police Station 2 miles away..LOL.

Me three on the geocaching.

I've found that there are always enough satellites "visible" from an oceanview window to give a good XY plot, though the vertical can be wa-ay off... at one point I noticed that our elevation was -(minus!)242 feet (:eek:) on the Riviera Deck. Didn't realize the Fascination was a submarine... ;)

My husband and I Geocache as well. I was already planning on packing it, figuring there'd be a cache on Catalina. :)

My husband and I Geocache as well. I was already planning on packing it, figuring there'd be a cache on Catalina. :)

On my last cruise I had cabin V-6 on Inspriation. It was a balcony with the large window. I had the GPS on the sill. It showed about 128Ft above sea level (Garmin NUVI). I guess that was close enougth. I was pretty high up as it was.

I have a gizmo that attaches to the hot shoe of my camera to record location in the image file metadata.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GGBGNM/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

In my gallery, you can then pull up Google Map of the exact location the picture was taken.

My son has something similar, except it doesn't attach to the hot shoe, you simply clip it somewhere. I took it on my transatlantic but kept having technical difficulties with it (like bumping it wrong so it turned itself off). It doesn't record the info in the metadata, you have to sync it up with the photo timestamps afterward.

Archived