Private car vs taxi?

Bibble

We are looking for a tour of some sort for just a few hours. We want to include San Gervasio, and the east side of the island.

Can anyone who has been to Cozumel and did something like this tell me if it's easy to deal with a taxi driver once we get there and get off the ship, or should I reserve something ahead of time.

We're not truly picky, I don't really want to be on a huge tour with 50 other people, just 5 of us to see stuff and go to the ruins.

any advice would be appreciated. I've been to Cozumel twice, but both times I just took a taxi straight to my destination.

Thanks!

We are looking for a tour of some sort for just a few hours. We want to include San Gervasio, and the east side of the island.

Can anyone who has been to Cozumel and did something like this tell me if it's easy to deal with a taxi driver once we get there and get off the ship, or should I reserve something ahead of time.

We're not truly picky, I don't really want to be on a huge tour with 50 other people, just 5 of us to see stuff and go to the ruins.

any advice would be appreciated. I've been to Cozumel twice, but both times I just took a taxi straight to my destination.

Thanks!

I don't think I would haggle a tour with a taxi driver on the street. There are many people who recommend particular taxi drivers for such a thing. I would do a search and book in advance.

With 5 people splitting the cost, a rental car would be nice, the island is really easy to navigate.

As far as ruins go, I don't know of any worth seeing on CZM, most people take the ferry to the mainland and go to Tulum. I have heard that there are ruins on CZM, but they are small and I've even read one review that said he wasn't convinced it was a real ruin.

Hope this helps! :)

I don't think I would haggle a tour with a taxi driver on the street. There are many people who recommend particular taxi drivers for such a thing. I would do a search and book in advance.

With 5 people splitting the cost, a rental car would be nice, the island is really easy to navigate.

As far as ruins go, I don't know of any worth seeing on CZM, most people take the ferry to the mainland and go to Tulum. I have heard that there are ruins on CZM, but they are small and I've even read one review that said he wasn't convinced it was a real ruin.

Hope this helps! :)

We're not wanting to rent a car, just because we don't want the hassle if we have an accident. Besides, of the 5 of us, two are my parents, two are DH & I, and one is my 8 year old daughter. DH and I would be paying the whole thing anyhow.

We're not looking for anything super amazing as far as the ruins go. I believe San Gervasio will be enough for my mom.

I do know that the posted taxi rates include a rate for waiting at the ruins, I'm just looking to add a small little tour to that. i'd figure someone on these boards has done something like that.

I'm not going until Thanksgiving, so I've got time yet.

Thank you for the push to check into hiring a driver ahead of time. I searched "hire driver" here, and found that there's a guy named Gerry that everyone loves. The funny thing is, an hour ago, I said to my mom "We need to have a Papa Bear in Cozumel" (he's an AWESOME tour operator in St. Thomas). So after reading all about Gerry, I called her back and said "I found us a Papa Bear!" LOL!

My family (5 adults, 4 kids) did not pre-book. We found a great driver with a van and arranged for a tour of the island. A stop at San Gervasio, then on to the east side (Chen Rio, Senor Iguanas, Mezcalitos, etc.) for drinks, food and photo ops, then Paradise Beach before heading downtown for some shopping. You can do this walking off the ship, but Gerry comes VERY highly recommended on these boards, and if you get him you can't go wrong.

Regarding San Gervasio--yes, these are minor ruins by the standards on the mainland, but I and my family found them to be quite fascinating. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour, and we learned a lot.

Have fun!

Archived